Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ellen Elizabeth Drummond marriage in 1865

Ellen was born in 1838 as Ellen Elizabeth Spooner, she maaried James Drummond in 1858.

James died in 1864 aged 33 and in 1865 Ellen remarried. However I am unable to decipher to whom.

The certificate is on line and the transcript they say the name is John Maxey. but then I am unable to find any deaths for the above or on the census returns.

Any assistance to help me solve Ellen's second husband will be appreciated

John

Re: Ellen Elizabeth Drummond marriage in 1865

Hello John

Ellen's second husband was John MOXEY.

The couple appear on the censuses from 1871.

Anne

Hi

His name is John Moxey not Maxey. He died in 1923 in Ecclesall Bierlow so he had a long life for the time.

Carol

Thanks folks for your replies.. shall have to ho to get my eyes tested next month then

PS do you think that Ellen Moxey died down south in 1897, I know she died between 1891 and 1901 from Census returns and that is the only one that fits in according to death index, She is not buried with John which does seem strange hence why I think the onw down south is a possibility.

Unless of course they have indexed her as Helen, something to try later as off to work shortly.

MOXEY, Elizabeth (Wife of Jas. Moxey, age 54).
Died at 152 Richard Road; Buried on September 7, 1893 in ~ ground;
Grave Number 59, Section M1 of Norton Cemetery, Sheffield.
Parent or Next of Kin if Available: ~. Remarks: .
Plot Owner: ~ ~ of ~. Page No Karen Stro

Check this one out on FMP
Dave

Dave I saw this but associate Jas as being short for James so hence thought was a different person. I wonder if someone can check the original in case it should be john

John, you have FMP, check it out onthere.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/223257501/elisabeth-moxey has:
Elisabeth Moxey
BIRTH 1839
DEATH 7 Sep 1893 (aged 53–54)
BURIAL Norton Cemetery
Sheffield, Metropolitan Borough of Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England
PLOT MI-59
Gravesite Details:
Age: 54, Address: 152 Richard Rd, Area: Sheffield, Relation: wife of Jno, Death date listed may be the interment date

I don't know their source. The transcription deserves review.

Terry, Thank you for that, trying to find the original now on FMP

Just looked on the info done by the S&DFHS many years ago and that also says wife of Jno.

FamilySearch.org has the Norton cemetery register, incorrectly described as being in Derbyshire, which make it really hard to find!

The record for Elisebeth (sic) Moxey is here:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-9937-K9RF?i=338&cat=969982

No 2111.
The transcriber cannot be criticised; it needs a really really close look, and family insights to read the husband's name as Jno.

Thanks Terry, might go a check out to see if a headstone when the weather improves.

going on a slight diversion one of the children Ellen had with James Drummond was called Samuel Corker Drummond baptised in 1865.

Trying to work out where the name Corker came from so I assume its a maiden name of say Ellen's grandmother.

Does anyone have any other ideas where it could come from?

Solved it, James' mother maiden name was Corker

Hi Terry & John,

Have changed Elizabeth's husbands name to Jon.

Terry Norton was in Derbyshire.

"Norton lies 4 miles south of Sheffield City Centre. Originally a village in Derbyshire it was transferred to the City of Sheffield in two parts in 1901 and 1933."

Elaine.

Yes my mother as a child (1930s to early 40s) lived on Glen Avenue (now called Herdings Road) and the boundary went down the middle of the Road, she had to go to Ridgeway School while her friend on the opposite side went to a school in Sheffield. It was only when she had to move to secondary school that they could get her into a school in Sheffield (High Storrs)