Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Siblings or not.

On 28th Sep 1841 Caroline Bottom married Peter Sharman and it states her father was called Thomas.

Caroline was born in 1818.

Now the long winded part

Carol J Flint was born in 1961 her parents were Kenneth Flint and Enid Bottom

Enid was born in 1931 MMN Gregory so Albert Bottom b 1901 married Nellie Gerrgory b 1904

I then get James Bottom b 1879 married 1900 Florence Shelley

I then get another James Bottom b 1854 married Sarah Ann Hopkin

I then get John Bottom married 1st Aug 1838 to Sarah Horton Atkinson

I have found a baptism for a John Bottom bap 17 Jun 1816 [arents Thomas and Ann

Thomas Bottom married Ann Wormsley in 1807

My question do you think John and Caroline are brother and sister or do you think that the baptism of John in 1816 has different parents but still called Thomas and Ann

I am trying to prove if the two trees I am doing could potentially be connected.

Thanks in advance

John

Re: Siblings or not.

Caroline Bottom
Principal
England, Yorkshire, Parish Registers, 1538-2016

Baptism 16 January 1820
Cathedral Church of St Peter and St Paul Sheffield, Sheffield, Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom
Birth 18 November 1819

Parents Thomas, Ann
Thomas Bottom
Principal
England Marriages, 1538–1973

Marriage 7 September 1807
Cathedral Church of St Peter and St Paul Sheffield, Sheffield, Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom

Spouses Ann Wormsley
Hannah Bottom
Principal
England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975

Christening 3 April 1811
Birth 3 February 1811

Parents Thomas Bottom, Ann

Thanks Barry, do you think John Bottom bap 17 Jan 1816 to parents Thomas and Ann is Caroline's brother, or from a bifferent family?

On Caroline and John's baptisms, the father Thomas is a cutler. If you search the
apprentices and freemen column on the left, you may be able to work out which Thomas
is their father.

Moira.

Thanks Moira,

I never knew what Freemen was etc but if you state he was a cutler that is going a long way to thinking that they are connected. I must first recheck marriage records for them both. Think I am losing the plot.

John

Follow up. when John married Sarah H Atkinson Thomas was a cutler and so was John

When caroline married Peter Sharman Thomas was a cutler and one of the witnesses was John Bottom.

Think its 100% now

John, if you follow Moira's advice you will find his birth year and the name and occupation of his father
Dave

James Bottom born 1854 give MMN as Atkinson.

I can only find one marriage and that is John Bottom born 1816 to Sarah Horton Akinson Aug 1838.

Looking at the baptism on this site it says Sarah born 1822 father John mother Ann.

Please can someone look at the original image and tell me please what do you think it says for the name of her father..do you think it says John Horton Atkinson?

If it does that rules my theory out that a John Atkinson married an Ann Horton.

Sarah was baptised in 1833 along with a brother on the same day who was born in 1820 and was also calle John Horton Atkinson

John it states Jno. I am presuming the Church was st Johns Park.

John you need to look at FMP more closley. More than one Sarah Horton Atkinson.

Elaine.

Thanks Elaine, will do from a very stormy uk

I must go to get my eyes tested as no luck yet. I still think the marraige cert is the same Sarah as on the baptism because of occupation of John