Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
William Burgess Sheldon birth

William Burgess Sheldon was born on 18th Oct 1906 taken from the 1939 register.

He married Gladys Redfern on 30 May 1925 in Sheffield.

However I can't find a birth registration for him so was he born as William Burgess illegit but if so no Burgess with a mother's maiden name blank or as Burgess on the GRo

Any help tracing him please so I can then trace his parentage.

Cheers

John

Re: William Burgess Sheldon birth

Hi John,

In the 1939 he has a William C.E. Sheldon born 1877 living with him. Is that his father?
If so I found a William Charles Sheldon of the right age in the 1911 census, and it said he was aged 34 and still single.

Heths

John. The marriage record says his father was William Charles Edward Sheldon. On the 1939 Register William CE Sheldon is living with his son William B Sheldon
Dave

John, according to the 1921 Census William Burgess Sheldon was born in EGYPT
Dave

Thank you folks, think the 1911 census saying William C E Burgess must be wrong unless of course his mother is not who william C E married.

Hello John,
There is a marriage record for:
WILLIAM CHARLES E. SHELDON
M: 1902 Sept.qtr. Southampton/Hampshire
JEANNIE BUCHANAN

There is a census record in 1911 for:
MRS. JULIA ALICE ELIZA SHELDON (nee GRIFFIN) 56
MISS ETHEL SHELDON )mmn GRIFFIN) 24 (daughter)
Granddaughters
IVY A. SHELDON 7 (B:1904 Assuan,Egypt)
LILIAN ALICE SHELDON 6 (B:1905 Southampton)
(Lilian's mmn: BUCHANAN)(gro ref)

Marriage record for JULIA ALICE ELIZA GRIFFIN
1876 Dec/qtr. St.Philip's Shalesmoor, Sheffield
to: HORACE HENRY SHELDON
(poss.parents of WM. CHARLES EDWARD SHELDON (B:1877 Sheffield)

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

A tree on Ancestry (which doesn't mention William Burgess SHELDON) says:

"The father, William Charles Edward Sheldon, was an engineer on the Aswan Dam. Ivy and Miriam were born in Egypt. Miriam died as a baby in Egypt."

This would have to be the Aswan Low dam, built by the British occupiers 1898-1902 and heightended later in two stages.

Julia Alice, Ethel, Ivy and Lillian all sailed to Canada in 1913, heading for Edmonton, Alberta.

Hugh

SHELDON, WILLIAM CHARLES EDWARD GRIFFIN
GRO Reference: 1877 D Quarter in SHEFFIELD Volume 09C Page 539
Dave

The army file of William Charles Edward Sheldon is at Ancestry. Many of the pages are damaged or faint. Image 92534 includes details of marriage & children.
Marriage Jean (crossed out and Jennie substituted) Buchanan, St Mary’s Church Southampton 15.9 (illegible)
Ellen … (mostly illegible)
William Burgess 15.10 1907 (sic) at Meares? Upper Egy(blot)
Image 92518 has a letter headed J H Firmary(?), Pleek Rd, Walsall dated Apr 4 1917 signed BM Milk(?) for Mrs(?) Sheldon
… Sheldon Is very ill … above infirmary, she … not able to see you … until to day, but is to ill to write. She will as soon as she is able get her son’s Birth Certificate from Egypt. Her marriage cert is at present with the local authorities she will send it on as soon as possible.

Hi John,
In 1917 we see William Charles Edward Sheldon age 39 in Military Service with the Royal Army Service Corp. Battalion 274th Mechanical Transport Company. Residence: Sheffield.

In 1916 there is a Julia Sheldon age 60 (England, 1856 (1855)) at 43 Dorenlee, 43 Victoria, Alberta., emigration year 1914(pretty close) stating that she is single but has two granddaughters with her, Budsie Sheldon 11,(1905 England) and Troy Sheldon 12 (1904 England).
I cannot trace these two grandchildren's births so maybe this is not your Julia but a lot of the other stuff fits.
HAPPY HUNTING :sleuth_or_spy:

By 1939 William Charles Edward Sheldon was a widow but I can't find a death record for Jeannie.

William C E Sheldon died in 1947 but as yet not found any burial info.

Can anyone assist please?

John

Just to clarify, Wendy's post. The 1916 Canadian census is on the Library and Archives of Canada website. The entry has been mis-transcribed with the granddaughter's name as Troy when the original says Ivy. The other granddaughter does appear to read Budsie (perhaps an affectionate nickname?) Julia describes herself as legally separated and a farmer. I live in Alberta so was interested to find out where Victoria, Alberta was as I've never heard of it. It apparently was a small fort and no longer exists as a town. Strange place for a woman to immigrate to at her age and with 2 young granddaughters in tow to take up farming. I tried to attach a copy of the original census page without success, but hope this helps.
Helen C.

John, on the 1921 Census William Sheldon (1877), widowed. is a patient in Sheffield Union Hospital. His son William Burrell Sheldon is a boarder with a Webb family.
I think you will find that William Sr's wife died in Sheffield in 1919.
SHELDON, Jean (~, age 38).
Died at Union Hospital; Buried on December 8, 1919 in Consecrated ground;
Grave Number 10, Section AA of Burngreave Cemetery, Sheffield.
I think William may have been still in the army abroad when she died.

Dave
PS I believe John Burrell Sheldon's birthplace, as on his father's Military papers found by Terry, should be transcribed as NUBIA, Upper Egypt.

The 1911 Census in Willesden, London brings us full circle:

Julia Alice Eliza Sheldon, Married 56 b Leicester
Ethel Sheldon Daughter 24 Assistant Teacher b Barnsley
Ivy A Sheldon G Dr 7 b ASSUAN Egypt
Lilian Alice Gdr 6 b Southampton

GRO has Lilian Alice MMN Buchanan b Southampton 1905
It looks like Budsie was Lilian Alice.

Dave

Cheers Dave for the info. Do you think therefore the William Sheldon who was buried in 1947naged 70 then is the William I am looking for?

Wendy, my apologies. Just noticed you already posted the Willesden 1911 Census record.
Dave

Hi Dave,
That's OK you furnished the Willesdon which I had not included.

I have just stumbled across the death on Family Search website, of Ivy Agnes Sheldon born in Aswan, Egypt. She died as Ivy Agnes Gardner-Smith on 23rd Feb 1993 aged 89 in Vancouver, British Columbia. Her husband was Gerald Gardner-Smith. It mentions her birth as 25th Sept/1903 Aswan, Egypt.

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Horace Henry Sheldon , wife Julia and all their children are on the 1891 Census in Scotland
Cottagest Floor?, East Princes Street, Row, Dunbartonshire, Scotland.

In 1911 Horace, age 54, is an inmate at the Grenoside Workhouse.

Dave

Your 1947 William Sheldon:
https://www.gro.gov.uk/
SHELDON, WILLIAM CHARLES EDWARD 70
GRO Reference: 1947 D Quarter in SHEFFIELD Volume 02D Page 149

And W B Sheldon
https://www.freebmd.org.uk/
Deaths 1988 (90%)
SHELDON WILLIAM BURGESS
DoB 12OC1906
District SHEFFIELD
Volume 3 Page 1318

Re: William Burgess Sheldon birthplace in Egypt

"on his father's Military papers found by Terry, should be transcribed as NUBIA, Upper Egypt."
Still can't figure it out, but not Nubia (also apparently an old name for Aswan).
Can't paste the image here.

Re: William Burgess Sheldon birthplace in Egypt

Terry. You are right. I thought it said "at nubia upper Egypt". Having looked again I believe it says "al Maris upper Egypt"
Note that al-Maris is the arabic name for the Aswan region.

To complete the picture on Horace H Sheldon, William C E's father:
In 1921 he was an inmate at the Fulham Palace Road Workhouse. His death is registered in Uxbridge in 1929.
Dave