Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
James Jackson Holt birth

Jessie Holt married Louis V Hoskins in 1921 and it says her father was deceased and called James Jackson Holt.

Using the burial index on this site James died in 1920 aged 69.

James Jackson Holt married Emily Salter in 1878 and Jessie was born in 1886.

However, the only birth registered for a James Jackson Holt was in the Rochdale area in 1855 (four years later than what I thought)

The Rochdale area does sound right though because when you look at the census returns it states he was born around Manchester.

My question is, Is the James Jackson Holt born 1855 the same person or do you think there is another James Jackson Holt but his birth was not registered.

John

Re: James Jackson Holt birth

Hi John,

There’s a death in Oldham in 1889 for a James Jackson Holt aged 34.
That could be the one born Rochdale 1855?

Heths

That is a possibility, I am wondering (not checked yet) if James was born illegitimate and took the name Holt when his parents married. Could you check in case I need to clean my glasses that there is not one born in 1851 haha

My friend says father of James was called George and mother was Nancy nee Jackson but James born before they married. need to clarify this though

Hi John,

There’s a birth Q3 1850 for a James Holt Jackson.
Also FreeBMD have a marriage in 1852 Dewsbury for a George Holt, with a Nancy Jackson on the same page.

Heths

Sorry (no edit function) the 1850 birth was in Dewsbury

Heths

Some family trees at Ancestry claim James Jackson Holt is the same person as in this record:

West Yorkshire, England, Church of England Births and Baptisms, 1813-1910
Mirfield, St Mary
In margin: Sep 10 1851 (birth date?)
Baptism date: March 27 1853
Christian name: James Holt
Parents name: Nancy Jackson
Abode: Hopton
Trade etc: Singlewoman

The next entry is:
In margin: Feb 12 1853 (birth date?)
Baptism date: March 27 1853
Christian name: Luke
Parents name: George & Nancy Holt
Abode: Knowle
Trade etc: Weaver

A family tree also has the marriage registry image:
Mirfield, St Mary, Yorkshire, England
October 17 1852
George Holt, age 30, bachelor, weaver, Littlemoor, father William Holt, weaver
Nancy Jackson, 28, spinster, Littlemoor, Father John Jackson, weaver
Witnesses George Holt (X mark) & John Barker

Thanks for this information as this looks very promising. looks therefore that George Holt was the father of James but as they were not married he had to be registered under Jackson.

1. If George Holt was the father and he is named on the birth cert ( I have not got this) and they had not married would James have to be registered under Jackson?

2. If George was the father and not named on the certificate would you therefore trace the Jackson line?

3. If George was the father and named on the certificate even though not married which line would you trace?

It gets curiouser.
The margin entry for the baptism quite clearly has 1851 Sep 10.
However, from the GRO index (and similarly at FreeBMD):
JACKSON, JAMES HOLT
Mother's maiden surname: -
GRO Reference: 1850 S Quarter in THE DEWSBURY UNION Volume 22 Page 97

Not sure what you mean by "trace", but if James Jackson Holt grew up in the Holt family, and his "Jackson" second forename includes Holt, I'd be including him in the family of George Holt & Nancy Jackson.

James Jackson Holt marriage

Leed's Times Saturday, Nov. 23, 1878
Marriages
Bradford
HOLT-SALTER – November 20th, at Airedale College Chapel, Bradford, James J Holt, Sheffield, to Emily Salter, Bradford.

Re: James Jackson Holt marriage

Thanks Terry, I wonder if the vicar put the wrong year on the baptism record then and his birthdate was Sep 1850