Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
George Frederick Littlewood

George Frederick Littlewood married in 1858 Lavenear Ensor in Rotherham.

Using the 1861 census he was known on here as frederick it says born in 1836.

There is a baptism on this site for ea G F Littlewood with a father george and a mother Sarah.

I am however having difficulty tracing G F Littlewood on the 1841 and 1851 census with a father George and mother Sarah as I am trying to work out the ages of parents and did George have any siblings?

or is the baptism on this site I the wrong G F Littlewood.

Help appreciated please.

John

Re: George Frederick Littlewood

In Baptisms search Littlewood with father George and mother Sarah
Dave

John,

Just a theory - sorry if it's off the mark - could it be that Sarah was the Sarah Littlewood who died in 1840 (of "decline")?

George could have been alone apart from one son, James, 15 (Coes Yard Sheffield Rd) in the 1841 census as a result.

There were some little LIttlewoods in the workhouse in the 1841 census, including a Frederick. Maybe George couldn't cope with all of the children by himself and had to leave them there?

Could he be the George Littlewood who married Harriett Cooke in 1845, so then the family was reunited in the 1851 census with the new mum, Harriet, in a place called Deakins Yard?

Cheers,

Andrew P.

Andrew and Dave thank you for your input and Andrew you could well be correct. I shall have a look into it. I was struggling to find a marriage of a george and sarah but perhaps that was not in Sheffield, unless he married using the neame Frederick something else I shall have to check out.

John

Andrew, your thinking about Sarah dying in 1840 could well be correct as the GRO states she was 37 as for George remarrying on FMP it looks to me that the George in 1845 married Ellen Nutt and he was only 20.

Don't get me wrong I do like the idea you have that Sarah died and george remarried

Thanks John,

Sorry that marriage in 1845 was a red herring, I got a bit too enthusiastic with the old guess work. Did you see the marriage in 1844 in Ecclesfield? FMP can only narrow it down to one of four potential brides (one of whom is Harriet Haigh).

Cheers,

Andrew P.

Andrew, yes I did but hear is a puzzler, look on the 1861 census and it says therenis an Horatio Littlewood born in 1852, on the GRO born in 1851 named Oratio with a mother's maiden name as Gray (I think it said haha) what do you make of this?

Hi John et al,
Possibles:
GEORGE LITTLEWOOD
B/Bapt: 6 April/1800- Died 8th Sept/1867
1st Marriage:
SARAH MALLOY B/Bapt:1802- Died 1840
Married: 1825 Attercliffe
children of this marriage recorded on S.I. website as mentioned by Dave.

GEORGE LITTLEWOOD (widower-Cutler-age 48 res:Attercliffe-father John Littlewood(Cutler)
Re-married:
Sept/15th 1850 Sheffield Parish Church
HENRIETTA BROCKSHAW (father-THOMAS GRAY, Occ:Miller)
Ref: Sheffield Indexer website

Are you also aware that George and Sarah's son, George Frederick who married Lavinia Ensor, their firstborn GEORGE became world famnous as a runner-nicknamed "The Sheffield Flyer".
There is a wealth of information on the Find A Grave website by entering George Frederick Littlewood born 1836-died 1921 or go to Family Search website, enter the same info and go to the Find A Grave link.
HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Wendy thank you for the info. I presume henrietta was known as harriet hence the name on the census but it does fit nicely.

G F Littlewood born 1836 no I did not know about him and my friend whose tree this is I think will be very interested.

Just need to find the burials for George and henrietta

John

Wonderful stuff from Wendy in Guelph!

Particularly the link to George Littlewood the record-breaking "Sheffield's Famous Pedestrian".

The obituary for George in the Green 'un (7 December 1912) says that he was the son of Fred Littlewood, who was also a sportsman and had won Sheffield Handicap events in 1857 and 1864. There's a good story about Fred and George being in the same race when George was a lad, and Fred tricked one of the other competitors into running - Fred and that bloke both got disqualified but that cleared the field for George to win.

Cheers,

Andrew P.

Andrew, are you sure you have the correct obituary please as the father of george frederick the runner was called George and also george died in 1921

John,

I'm never sure about anything any more!

But I thought that Wendy meant that the father died in 1921. The son died before the father unfortunately, in 1912. I reckon that maybe old George Frederick was known as "Fred" - you did mention that he showed up as Frederick on the census?

1859-1812 for the "Sheffield Flyer" tallies with his Wikipedia entry.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Andrew, thank you as I had not not the death of the son George in 1912 its all tying in now George (or Fred) in the 1860s was a good runner unfortuantely the genes did not pass down to my friend haha