Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Parents of Annis Hawke born 1817 Wentworth.

Annis Hawke baptised Nov 2nd 1817 at Wentworth, Barnsley parents called John and Ann.

There were 2 children that I know of born prior to Annis one being Sarah in 1812 at Elsecar and another Charles born 1815 in Wentworth. I am sure these two had the same parents (ie Annis wasn't from a second marriage)

I believe that John Hawke was born in 1791 and as yet have been unable to find a marriage for him to Ann. I have tried Hawke and Hawk but nothing is standing out.

I was wondering would anyone on here like to have a bash at finding the marriage please?

Regards

John

Re: Parents of Annis Hawke born 1817 Wentworth.

Hi JohnS,

Just a maybe to start the ball rolling.

John Hawk & Rebecca Green 29th August 1802 SPC.

Suggestion..... Could be a first marriage for John.

I found it on Family Search.

On FreeReg there is a John Charles Hawk baptised in 1852 Wentworth.

Was John alive in 1841????

Elaine.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Elaine, Yes John was alive I think. I have his death being in 1849, I hope it is the correct one as I have not touched this tree for ages and it is a guess now that the GRO has indexed deaths etc showing the age I shall have to have a look at that to make sure the info I have found so far is correct.

Hi,

There’s a burial for Rebecca Hawke, wife of John, chapelry of Bradfield 18-Dec 1820 aged 41.

Heths

John,

Use our 1841 index and enter John Hawke there are lots to choose from makes it a little simpler.

Elaine.

Instant Messenger: Skype

This looks promising.

1841 census, Old Row, Elsecar, Wath-upon-Dearne, Ecclesfield.
John Hawk, 50yrs, Labourer.
Ann Hawk, 51yrs.
Children: Sarah 29, Annis 23, George 20, Mary 17, Martha 16, John 14,
William 10, Charles 8.
William Mitchell, 20. All born in County.

George and Mary were both baptised at Wentworth 23 Nov 1823 and Martha
was baptised at Wentworth 17 July 1825. On all baptisms parents are John
and Ann of Elsecar, Collier/miner.

John Hawke born 3 June 1790, bap 29 Aug 1790 at Wentworth, son of
Joseph Hawke, Lab, of Scholes but from Henvil in Staffordshire and his wife
Hannah daughter of Saml. Mitchell, farmer of Bank End and Martha his wife.

Moira.

Thank you, Moira yes I think this is the correct family but as yet I have not found a marriage for John and Ann, obviously then the marriage where it occured has not been put on line yet unless of course Ann was the name she was known by ie a middle name but her birth name remains a mystery.

Hi John, There is a marriage at Sheffield Cathedral 17 May 1802 John Hawke to Hannah Quicksall. Could be Ann? Regards Barry

Seen that but it would mean john would only be 11 years old at the time. I am beginning to wonder if we wont find it because lots of cds and books etc finish in 1812 and start in 1813 so the page has got lost.

Hi John et al,
Following along the same findings as Moira. Unfortunately, I have no marriage to report.
There is a census record on Family Search for:
Ann Hawke who is still alive on the 1851 census for Barnsley, along with a grandson, Charles Hawke, plus a lodger. She is a widow and a char woman.
Birthplace:HOYLAND AGE:66 (so Born 1785).
This puts Hannah/Ann about five years older than hubby John Hawke

There is a death record on Genuki website for:
HANNAH HAWKE died 20th Dec,1856 age 71, Wentworth.
this death is also on GRO with Reg.district as Rotherham which,I think, would have included Wentworth & Elsecar Parish. The death age also supports a birth date of 1785.

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy: