Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
information on a town "Waterwood" Yorkshire

After looking over a 1901 & 1911 census for Fred Walker and family it shows place of birth as Waterwood, Yorkshire. I have tried to find this town on Google with no luck. Perhaps the county maybe should be Derbyshire.
The 1901 census says the civil Parish is Killamarsh
Many of the children were born in Killamarsh.
I don't have the census details other than the names
(1911) Census:- Fred Walker 44 married 18 years (Engine ??? Collier)
Blanche Walker Wife, 41 years House Hold Duties
George walker son 17
Annie Walker daughter 15
Fred Walker son 13
Etc, Etc
Any chance someone may find where this place is, could they send a link please
Barry

Re: information on a town "Waterwood" Yorkshire

Hi Barry

The census lists his place of birth as WALESWOOD which is the next village on from Killamarsh (Derbyshire) and just before Kiveton Park.

Waleswood is in Yorkshire.

There is a baptism at Wales St John parish church on FMP for Fred WALKER son of Samuel & Ann Walker 2 Sep 1866

Information from http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/WRY/Wales/

"WALES, a parish-town, in the upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill, liberty of St. Peter; 7 miles from Worksop, (Notts.) 7½ miles S. of Rotherham, 9 from Sheffield, 55 from York. Pop. 277. The Church, peculiar, is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. John, in the deanry of Doncaster, value, p.r. £75. 1s. 2d. Patron, the Duke of Leeds."

"WALES WOOD, a hamlet in the township of Wales, and parishes of Wales and Treeton; 5½ miles from Rotherham, 9 from Sheffield."

There used to be a pub at Wales called the Leeds Arms which had good groups on in my youth, so one of my old stomping grounds.
Angela

Re: information on a town "Waterwood" Yorkshire

Angela, thank you for giving me the result I wanted. I could have sworn the spelling was Waterwood, but after your answer I can see where I was confused.
It will help immensely.
Barry