Visit The New Etater!

Forum is moving to new host!

Etater Public Forum
This Forum is Locked
1 2 3
Author
Comment
Cat and Dog Fight at Durbin Council Meeting

The Pocahontas Times has an excellent story this week about the goings on up at Durbin town council. Their meetings are always a lot of fun. I am only sorry that I couldn't make the fifty mile trip to see the action.

Sorry to see Kenny Lehman go; he is a good guy. Glad to see Ms. Adams (Proud) go. Maybe the town will be able to move forward now that she is gone.

Yes, Durbin Days was nice; I loved the parade!

Now I have a question: How can Buster Varner be on the Solid Waste Authority and be town judge at the same time? Isn't he supposed to be independent? The town is connected politically with the PSD and the SWA? He is now the boss of the SWA and a user of the system.! SOMETHING'S WRONG HERE--My crap detector is going into the red!!

Buy yourselves a copy of the PT; it is worth it!

Re: Cat and Dog Fight at Durbin Council Meeting

Thanks for the paragraphs re Durbin,Mr. Tater;It's government is the strangest in the world.I have often wondered why the county commission does not have some oversight. What would you think if your taxes were several hundred dollars more a year than they are in nearby Frank in order to pay for such a government? The push to unincorporate simply died.

If the Durbin Town Council follows its past practice of putting the next runner up in the past election in as a Town Council member following a resignation then Earl Vance JR. will be the new member of Council. He had 34 votes and Mr. Proud had 33 votes.

So Frank's wife flies the coop and then Frank comes in behind her!

Absolutely. Earl Vance of plumbing "fame" and switcheroo tendency should never have been allowed to run at all.Or was that Michael?Anyway, I hope that council will not appoint someone who lost in the vote as a replacement.Woner what state or county law handles resignations and replacements?

It seems that people were right. The town should just go unincorporated and then it will be fine. No one group is going to win in this town. Everyone is out for his or her self and that is it. The little knives with now become big daggers. I can't believe the people of Durbin elected a man who quit because people were pickin on him, yet he can go around and do the same unto others. Holier than tho, shoot the man thinks he is better than everyone else.

As for Mrs Adams-Proud, she did a wonderful job with Durbin Days this year and now that everyone is being typical Durbinites now she is not going to do it again. And you all wonder why people in Marlinton think they are better than you in Durbin. GET A GRIP AND LOOK AT YOURSELVES.......

Kenny Lehman, don't quit. Stand your ground, you did it with others in Durbin you can do it again. The town needs a man to stand up for what is right.

Here is another little hint.... Roads in Durbin belong to the State not to Durbin. They abandoned them a while back. Horses and riders are allowed to ride right down the middle of the main road if they so choose. Jesus road on a donkey and people didn't complain, so if he comes back riding one down the middle of the road are you going to complain or kiss his butt when being a sinner ...

Oh my, Oh my,

If Jesus rode a donkey down the street, I'd kiss the ground where his donkey stepped...dawg...

woner??? should be "wonder"'

Glad to see the KIDS are getting along so well in Durbin. The only thing Durbin needs is a few good BABYSITTERS to baby sit the whole town.

Maybe at the next meeting someone should take the mayor a BOTTLE and everyone else a BINKY.

Put Emma Grace in charge and then the bull will stop!

The bull did stop in Durbin. That is why the STUFF is so DEEP in Durbin and until the bull is run out the stuff will keep getting deeper.

What gets me is I drive three times to Durbin and nothing interesting happens! Then I miss a meeting and all Hades breaks loose!

It's your name and reputation "STINKWELL"!!!!!
They smell you coming......LOL

Can someone please tell the mayor to wear a big boy shirt? I mean he is in charge (or supposed to be) and he wears a shirt where his pits are exposed for everyone to have to look at.

Stinkwell Tater
What gets me is I drive three times to Durbin and nothing interesting happens! Then I miss a meeting and all Hades breaks loose!

You may have driven to Durbin, but you've been to one meeting in the past year and that was when you expected a blowup and it didn't happen.

Everyone could see the disappointment on your face when you wasted all that time and nothing got stirred up by your cronies like you expected so that you could report on it.

The other times you're coming to town to take photos.
I've never seen you come to do any good for the community! You just look for trouble.

Thank You! We try hard! You have to admit that a meeting of the Durbin Town Council is something like a circus with elephants, clowns, and dancing bears. (except when I show up, then everyone acts civilized)

Is there any word on a new Durbin Recorder from the meeting tonight? A new member of Durbin Town Council?

They are getting ready to flip a coin.
Wonder who has heads
Who is tales

Past Practice
If the Durbin Town Council follows its past practice of putting the next runner up in the past election in as a Town Council member following a resignation then Earl Vance JR. will be the new member of Council. He had 34 votes and Mr. Proud had 33 votes.

Is the former mayor, Micheal Vance, still on probation for stealing from the town? Whould this somehow be a conflict of interest?

What in the name of God does Michael Vance have to do with Earl Vance? They are two completely different people. Get a Life!

They're father and son living in the same house genius.

Durbin
They're father and son living in the same house genius.

Glad you pointed that out!! You rock Durbin!!!

So what? they are two adult males and Earl is not on any type probation and I doubt it very much that Mike still is. Living in the same house has absolutely nothing to do with a conflict of interest.You must be one of the very few who likes Frank Proud. If you are, I feel sorry for you.

If Punk was to become councilman then Mike is the REAL councilman. It was Mike afterall that filed running papers for Punk or "Earl" or whatever you want to call him. Believe it or not, Mike is the brains of that dynamic duo. Dang, I just scared myself with that statement and probably set a precedence; Mike Vance and brains in the same sentence. And for further reference: Frank is a weasel and no, I'm not one of the few. I strongly sit in the majority.

A few citizens would like to see the town unincorporated by relinquishing it,s charter as Cass did many years ago.One reason was to save the taxpayers money. Another was to save present and future embarrassment to the county and state . Too bad they gave up so easily because another circus ensues in Durbin which is situated in the National Forest.Perhaps Uncle Sam could take it over and make a tourist attraction out of it just as the state did at Cass. Our property would be more valuable and there would be a few jobs. Anyone interested?If so, call your commissioner.

The Town can not find their Charter. No record of it anywhere. They follow the WV Codes for their rules and regulations. Which is really good. If they abide by them.

As for unincorporated, that's not how the system works, and I doubt that it would become a National Park. But call the County Commissioners, let them explain what will happen. They have a web site with email addresses.

People do not have a clue at the consequences of some of their actions. People really need to get information about things before charging off and doing something.

Who in Durbin "charges off" and does anything? The WV code pertains to state matters, not local ones.It may say something about operating a municipality without a charter,though.Cass once was an incorporated town. Very recently, I was told that they simply sent back their charter to become unincorporated. Durbin would be a great mecca for tourists, such as Cass is now. Resources of the Federal government could become available.I, however, am aware of the great fear of change or new ways of thinking. To return to the charter, certainly someone knows what it said. Could you not make a reasonable copy from memory?

Ah Heck! please don't even consider making the town unincorporated, thats the only entertainment we have in the upper end. Without our own little circus we would be at a great loss. We would just have to set around and watch the grass grow and thats no fun cause you gotta go cut it.

Hey Korn, Do you think the town should hold a contest for the best story about what happened to the Charter? If so, would you be the judge? Or should we ask Norman to act in that capacity? We could start out by saying the GreenBrier River Big Foot ate the charter. One of the most brilliant citizens had a post recently suggesting that we should have a LOCh Ness Monster to entice tourists to Pokie County.

I cannot believe that it is legal,or ethical to put the next runner up in office after a resignation. Is that in the WVCode?

The code states that the council can appoint anyone of their choice from the residents of the Town that are register voters. It does not have to be the next in line!!!!
Maybe the well known Sasquatche of this area ate it, I seen him running around up on Cheat, a hop and a jump and he would be in Durbin

A rule should be made that candidates for office be of sound mind and body , be literate, have no criminal record.

Obama couldn't straighten this mess out!

To new Council member Osborne,Treasurer Lane and Recorder Paul Ransom.

At one time, I believe that the code forbade the appointment of the candidate who lost in an election:ie, Mr.Pol ran for mayor and lost.But the winner resigned after one week.Council appointed Mr. Pol to be mayor.This was ruled an incorrect action, because the people had rejected Mr. Pol in the election.It was unfair for them to have him as mayor.

The very strange history of Durbin
A rule should be made that candidates for office be of sound mind and body , be literate, have no criminal record.

Good Luck with that quote!!!!

Information ala Durbin
At one time, I believe that the code forbade the appointment of the candidate who lost in an election:ie, Mr.Pol ran for mayor and lost.But the winner resigned after one week.Council appointed Mr. Pol to be mayor.This was ruled an incorrect action, because the people had rejected Mr. Pol in the election.It was

THIS IS HOW IT HAS ALWAY READ!
u8-5-10. Vacancies in elective offices; how filled.
Unless otherwise provided by charter provision or ordinance, when a vacancy shall occur from any cause in any municipal elective office, the vacancy, until the next succeeding regular municipal election and until the qualification of an elected successor, shall be filled by appointment by the governing body from among the residents of the municipality eligible under this article.

PART IV. GENERAL PROVISIONS RELATING TO OFFICERS AND EMPLOYEES.
§8-5-11. Municipal officers and employees generally.
Subject to the provisions of the constitution of this state, the provisions of this article, and other applicable provisions of this chapter, any city may by charter provision, and the governing body of any municipality, consistent with the provisions of its charter, if any, may by ordinance, determine and prescribe the officers or positions which are to be filled by election, appointment or employment, the number, method of selection, tenure, qualifications, residency requirements, powers and duties of municipal officers and employees, and the method of filling any vacancies which may occur.

I continue to offer my services to the good folks of Camelot-by-the-Greenbrier. Just do a minor boundary adjustments of the sideditches down to Huntersville and out Beaver Creek, a mere 50 miles or so and I will be there to serve as your mayor. I can also perform the duties of town cop and judge as well. I will even sweep the floor after each meeting.

A small town nearby once had this issue raised:A man was defeated for the mayorship, The winner resigned and the loser got to be mayor by appointment.I do not remember if there was any collusion, but the appointment was frowned upon by the state.The town then selected another mayoral replacement.Thanks for the facts from the code.

Stinkwell,maybe we could get you in through the METRO plan. Or could we incorporate the whole county,making you a supervisor? I would be happy to see an editor running the town government.

It is simply amazing to me that the town would put in a man who's wife, girlfriend, or just mother to his children was caught red handed stealing from someones house.. that someones house is another council member. And that council member in note was mayor at one time and quit because the heat got to hot in the kitchen. You have a woman on the council whom is very smart and knows Durbin like the back of your hand but refuses to live in the here and now and wants to go back to the past. Now does this give us all license to go and break into our neighbors house and steal there good stuff out of their medicine cabinets and sleep with our neighbors because there is nothing better to do.? Why don't we make Durbin a spot on the tourist list as laughing stock of WV....

"Amazing,"you are a thoughtful person---in Durbin you are a rarity.Durbin is exceptionally singular in their voting habits:A great story is in the making about this very topic.It all gets back to what in the name of Hades are we doing with this outmoded Mayor-council duo anyway? It has long outlived its relevance to modern times. Yet when someone suggests doing away with Mayor council , as so any small towns have done,there is a deafening silence, or such inanities as "lets keep what we have" or,the town lights look like DisneyLand from Back Mountain."
To get back to "Amazing",keep on thinking and sooner or later ,many of the wiser ones wil agree. Then progress can come about.Thought must precede action.

WHY CAN'T PEOPLE IN DURBIN JUST GET ALONG

Gettin along isn't as much fun. Have you ever been to a town council meeting where folks were getting along? You won't want to go back!

You have bg and he has all his cronies in office now. Looks like they are showing their brass rings from their little club.

What do you mean ? BG? brass ring? What happens now that has not taken place before?

politics...isnt everything like this? ur job, family, school....life. no one is perfect, but everybody is judge!

A very good letter posted by Kenny Lehman in the Pocahontas times. Everyone needs to read.

Lehman said Bill had no right to speak while in the same letter he wants Bill to pay the town. That just is not right. I remeber a clip on etater where Tom Kinder got up and addressed the meeting and he does not live in Durbin he like Bill just a has a small store. Anyoneone that pays a town water, trash or suer bill should have a say because the is spent by the town just like they live in town.

The old time folks called it "taxation without representation." Why should Grimes pay a tax and then no have any input on how high the tax is?

stinkwell, we must get serious about you becoming Mayor or manager of Durbin.A person of education and belief in Democracy is badly needed : Imagine a councilman descrying a property owner and his right to appear before council for a redress of grievance.I wonder what said councilman would do if he were forced to pay for something he did not purchase?

1 2 3
contact e-tater@hotmail.com

Top And Bottom Banners Available, Contact Us For Details!