Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: WW2 Material

Hi Terry,

You are correct I am sure. I see he is listed as W. Pickard so probably the reason I was not turning him up as I kept using William.

I am going to pursue it now I have a service number.

Thank you very much I appreciate it.

Elaine in slightly warmer Ottawa.

Hi Heather,

Thank you for looking. I have found further info on him from my sister in law.
He apparently enlisted when war was called and was placed in the KOYLI Reg and sent to France. He was later transferred to REME and sent to Palestine once that unit was formed.(1942) He was there until the end of the War.

I was hoping that Ancestry would at least give me his Service number making it easier to trace him. Thanks again.

Elaine.

Terry & Dave,

Have ordered the page information from the N.A. and for others it's cost was 8pounds 50p.

Reply by Feb 6th.

Fingers crossed.

Elaine.

You can apply for service records here https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-records-of-service
They are free but take months sometimes before you can download them. If father in law is still alive he can apply fir his own records and they will have no area redacted. If no longer alive son can apply as NOK

Hi Bev,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have already ordered them for a small fee from the N.A. so will wait to see what they send me. But.... I will also keep your suggestion in mind.

Thanks

Elaine.

Small Update.

Wm Pickard's material was found at the NA. I have order a copy of his records that are supposed to be sent to me prior to Feb 5th. That covers his time in the REME regiment. I am still waiting to hear from Doncaster re the time he spent in the Koyli Regiment.

Thanks everybody for you help.

Elaine.

Elaine in Ottawa
Small Update.

Wm Pickard's material was found at the NA. I have order a copy of his records that are supposed to be sent to me prior to Feb 5th. That covers his time in the REME regiment. I am still waiting to hear from Doncaster re the time he spent in the Koyli Regiment.

Thanks everybody for you help.

Elaine.
If you have ordered his service records they will cover all his military service.

Thanks Phil,

Have not received them as yet. Fingers crossed it does show All his service.

Elaine.