Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WW2 Material

I need some help in finding my father in laws WW2 attestation papers.

I "thought" I had read somewhere that FMP had WW2 records but have not been able to find anything.

The National Archives I believe hold the material in WO 420.

William Pickard joined up 1939 and was in the Koyli Regiment and later transferred to the REME stationed in Palestine.

I understand that the REME was established Oct 1942. William was stationed in France from the beginning of the war but that's as much as we know. He never talked about his War experience. That was quite common I believe.

Soooo suggestions from anyone who has found the WW2 records would make me a happy gal.

Thanks

Elaine in a still green Ottawa.

Re: WW2 Material

Elaine, what year was William born please?

Hi John,

1905 to 1980 born Leeds. It's just his military information I am looking for. I believe he was a Staff Sargent in Palestine.

Elaine.

like you Elaine nothing showing on FMP we need a favour from someone with Ancestry to check

Elaine, from the National Archives website

Is this your man?

W A Pickard dob 12 March 1905

service number 7931366

reference WO423/261842

if it is might worth sending them an email, perhaps explain you cant get to search as you live in Canada so no doubt they will say we willsearch for a fee.

if its not your man, sorry

Elaine. You can only get WW2records from the Army Records office in Glasgow. You need to be a (joint) nearest relative (blood line) and you have to apply in writing. So your husband will have to make the request. The cost is 50 POUNDS and it takes up to 12 MONTHS TO PROCESS THE REQUEST.
No way round it
Dave

Hi Elaine

The KOYLI regimental museum in Doncaster might be able to give you general information about the regiments activities in Palestine.

Heths

Elaine, my apologies. It seems that ww2 service records are in process of being transferred to National Archives, expected to be complete by 2027, so you should apply to them.
I only have experience of the old system which is now changingq
Dave

Hi Guys,

John.... unfortunately not my father in law. William was born April 1905.

Heather...... I think I will contact the KOYLI museum in Doncaster they might give me at least his service number.

DaveT........ I thought that might be the answer..... bummer. I would have liked to at least turn something up for myself.

Thanks Guys but if anyone with Ancestry can turn anything up I would really appreciate it.

Elaine.

Dave T
Elaine, my apologies. It seems that ww2 service records are in process of being transferred to National Archives, expected to be complete by 2027, so you should apply to them.
I only have experience of the old system which is now changingq
Dave
I've recently used the new NA process - which is now free. Took about 6 weeks to get the full record.

Denise

Denise, thanks. A big step forward
Dave

Will follow through with that info Denise.

Thanks.
Elaine.

Hi Elaine,
Did you get an ancestry look up for your father in law?
BW
Heather

Hi Heather,

No I didn't. If you could have a look for me I would really appreciate it.

Elaine.

Hi Elaine,
Sorry coming up with very little in military records.
I have William Pickard in Navy/RAF/POW records but none seem appropriate to you. There is a William Pickard posted in the military notices of the London Gazette in 1941 but that has him being made up to Lt 15/9/39. And frustratingly there is PAckard in Palestine medals.
If you have a middle name or service number, I can search again.
If you want any of the non-military results just let me know.
Heather

Hi Heather,

Thank you for looking for me. I had thought if I had his service number from Ancestry it would make my search easier.

I have found a little more info on him from my sister in law. I hope that pinpoints him a little more.

He enlisted as soon as war was declared (koyli) went to France and from there once the REME was formed moved on to Palestine.

Thanks for having another look.

Elaine.

Hi Heather,

Thank you for looking. I have found further info on him from my sister in law.
He apparently enlisted when war was called and was placed in the KOYLI Reg and sent to France. He was later transferred to REME and sent to Palestine once that unit was formed.(1942) He was there until the end of the War.

I was hoping that Ancestry would at least give me his Service number making it easier to trace him. Thanks again.

Elaine.

Elaine, I have just tried the new system for my missing uncle. You do not need service number if you have date of birth. You can enquire at NA ad they came back very quickly to say they do not have him. No cost. If they had found him they would have told me so and said how much it would cost to get the papers.
In my case they have advised I should now apply to Army file. I shail do that though I have little hope because I shave no info which says he did take part in the war. I only know he left home age 16 in 1922. I just assume he would have taken part in Ww2.
Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for that information will do. Fingers crossed.

Elaine.

Born April 1905, is this your man?

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C17614069
WO 420 - War Office: The Corps of Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers Other Ranks: Service Records

Reference: WO 420/43395
Description:
Name: W Pickard.
Service number: 7596640.
Date of birth: 11 April 1905.

Date: [1942-1963]
Held by: The National Archives, Kew
Former reference in its original department: ARO000046551
Legal status: Public Record(s)
Closure status: Open Document, Open Description
Access conditions: Open on Transfer

This record has not been digitised and cannot be downloaded.

This record requires preparation for production. It will take four working days to prepare.

You can order records in advance to be ready for you when you visit Kew. You will need a reader's ticket to do this. Or, you can request a quotation for a copy to be sent to you.

Hi Terry,

You are correct I am sure. I see he is listed as W. Pickard so probably the reason I was not turning him up as I kept using William.

I am going to pursue it now I have a service number.

Thank you very much I appreciate it.

Elaine in slightly warmer Ottawa.

Terry & Dave,

Have ordered the page information from the N.A. and for others it's cost was 8pounds 50p.

Reply by Feb 6th.

Fingers crossed.

Elaine.

You can apply for service records here https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-records-of-service
They are free but take months sometimes before you can download them. If father in law is still alive he can apply fir his own records and they will have no area redacted. If no longer alive son can apply as NOK

Hi Bev,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have already ordered them for a small fee from the N.A. so will wait to see what they send me. But.... I will also keep your suggestion in mind.

Thanks

Elaine.

Small Update.

Wm Pickard's material was found at the NA. I have order a copy of his records that are supposed to be sent to me prior to Feb 5th. That covers his time in the REME regiment. I am still waiting to hear from Doncaster re the time he spent in the Koyli Regiment.

Thanks everybody for you help.

Elaine.

Elaine in Ottawa
Small Update.

Wm Pickard's material was found at the NA. I have order a copy of his records that are supposed to be sent to me prior to Feb 5th. That covers his time in the REME regiment. I am still waiting to hear from Doncaster re the time he spent in the Koyli Regiment.

Thanks everybody for you help.

Elaine.
If you have ordered his service records they will cover all his military service.

Thanks Phil,

Have not received them as yet. Fingers crossed it does show All his service.

Elaine.