Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Russell

Heths,
Take a look at Anne Russell bap 28 March 1770 dau of William, Labourer. The first name Anne is very unclear and I think it might be Ami. On the same page there are other Anns, but always without E. Why would he write one with an E? Also note that Ann Dau of William Russell was baptised 1772. Why would he have 2 Ann(e)s alive at the same time?
Note that Ann Dau of William Russell died 1874
Sorry, have no clue about William "wife" name
Dave

Re: Russell

Hi Dave

Thank you for looking for me. I took a look at the 1770 baptism for "Anne." Yes, the original image is very unclear! I couldn't really work out the name to be honest. When I inverted the colour and changed the contrast and brightness, the penultimate letter even looked like a V? There was a burial on the very same day for a "child of William Russell." Maybe it was a twin, but if it was "Anne" that might explain why he had another Ann in 1772. There was also another Ann, buried in February 1768. I never found a local baptism for her.

I think the family must have arrived in Sheffield some time before 1752. Perhaps checking settlement examinations / certificates might be the way forward, next time I'm in town and can get to the archives.

Heths