Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Russell

Hi

I'm trying to find out who was the mother of my 4x great grandma Charlotte. One of my brick walls! What I have so far is this:

Charlotte Russell married John Bishop on 3 Jan 1791 in Sheffield. In 1841 she was living at Flockton's Yard and her age was rounded to 65 (= birth ca 1776) She died on 11 April 1850 aged 78 (= birth ca 1772)

Her baptism was probably 10 April 1774 Sheffield, with father William Russell a labourer - no mother mentioned. William possibly died in 1778. He doesn't seem to have married in Sheffield.

One of the witnesses at Charlotte's marriage was Robert Jolly. Robert married Hannah Russell (unfortunately it says spinster!) in 1779. He was also the witness for the weddings of Sarah Russell (spinster) to William Sanderson (4 Feb 1787) and Amey Russell (spinster) to David Cahill (also 4 Feb 1787) I found a baptism for Hannah in 1757, and one for Sarah in 1768. Their father was also William Russell, labourer. So far I don't have a local baptism for Amey (who was buried as Emma.)

The first baptism I can find for a child of William in Sheffield was John in 1753. I also found a burial for a child Amos in 1752, but no local baptism.

Fingers crossed that a fresh pair of eyes will spot something I'm missing.

Heths

Re: Russell

Hi Heather,

Not easy to follow I am sure.....

I wonder......Is it possible that Charlotte was born Upper Hallam? I know from my research there is a large number there. Being baptized at Sheffield Parish Church prior to Christ Church Fulwood being built.

I read many years ago that folks from that area would drop down to Hathersage and have their children baptized there also. Derbyshire then comes into play.

I am going to have a look at Robert Jolly..... not a common name.

Fingers crossed.

Elaine.

Looked at the 1841 census.

Do you know the relationship of Charlotte to the head of the household?

I thought at first glance that maybe Elizabeth was a daughter of Charlotte. Then noted that Elizabeth was born in Ireland.

Elaine.

Hi Elaine

In the 1841 census Charlotte, age 65, was the head of the household. This was at Flockton's Yard on Hermitage St. There was just one person with her, Selina Allen aged 11, who was her granddaughter. Selina's parents and siblings are living next door (at the top of the following page.)

Heths

Hi Heather,

My mistake, now I have cranked up the magnification I can see the double// lines.

I will change the address as well.By the way where was Flockton Yard.

Elaine in a cold & very Snowy Ottawa.

Hi Elaine

Flockton's Yard was on Hermitage St. You can see the position of Flockton's plot here:

https://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;arc04154&prevUrl=

Heths

Heths,
Take a look at Anne Russell bap 28 March 1770 dau of William, Labourer. The first name Anne is very unclear and I think it might be Ami. On the same page there are other Anns, but always without E. Why would he write one with an E? Also note that Ann Dau of William Russell was baptised 1772. Why would he have 2 Ann(e)s alive at the same time?
Note that Ann Dau of William Russell died 1874
Sorry, have no clue about William "wife" name
Dave

Hi Dave

Thank you for looking for me. I took a look at the 1770 baptism for "Anne." Yes, the original image is very unclear! I couldn't really work out the name to be honest. When I inverted the colour and changed the contrast and brightness, the penultimate letter even looked like a V? There was a burial on the very same day for a "child of William Russell." Maybe it was a twin, but if it was "Anne" that might explain why he had another Ann in 1772. There was also another Ann, buried in February 1768. I never found a local baptism for her.

I think the family must have arrived in Sheffield some time before 1752. Perhaps checking settlement examinations / certificates might be the way forward, next time I'm in town and can get to the archives.

Heths