Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 1911 census

Hi Jeanette,

Many years ago I read an article on immigrants from the UK that became a strain on the USA public purse for what ever reason. They were given an option of having there return paid for by the US government which many did.

There are many George Redfern/Redfearn in Sheffield.

The 1901 census if you have it is quite clear.Have a look at it.

Elaine.

Thankyou Dave Just wonder if my grandad was not put down on 1911 census with been so young.

George, Sarah and Emily are on the 1880 US Census in Fairfield, Bridgeport Conn. BUT George is said to be born in ENGLAND, as were both his parents.
Dave

Hi Janette et al,
To further back up the Massachusetts connection which Denise referred to. On Family Search website there is a record for a birth as follows:

Redfern..Male..Birth 2nd August, 1883 Worcester, Massachusetts. Parents: George Redfern(Grinder) and Sarah Young. I think we can possibly assume this is George's birthday in 1883.

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Morning every one thankyou for your help.On 1891 census George Redfern was down as been born in U.S.A but on 1901 says Sheffield,wonder if his parents put Sheffield so it looked like they were all from Sheffield for some reason.thanks Janette

Hi Janette,

Quite often it was the census taker taking liberties when re filling in the official form he had to fill in.

Elaine.

PS checked the GRO Index.

Name: Mother's Maiden Surname:
REDFERN, GEORGE -
GRO Reference: 1883 M Quarter in SHEFFIELD Volume 09C Page 459

No mothers maiden name showing.

I am like a dog with a bone..... LOL.

I can`t find a marriage for a Redfern-Young. BUT I noticed that some on the children were registered under YOUNGE back in Sheffield.

Could that be the mystery George & Sarah were not married.
They are in our burial index by the way. City Road Cemetery.

Sooooo íf George was born in the USA in 1883 they were back in Sheffield for Alfreds birth in Dec qtr 1885.

Another observation..... on the 1901 census there is a child called Emily aged 4mths. No Emily registered at the GRO but an Amelia MMN Young.

Elaine.

PS.... Sarah Died in 1911.(1860-1911) George 1854-1913.

Elaine.

Elaine in Ottawa
I am like a dog with a bone..... LOL.

I can`t find a marriage for a Redfern-Young. BUT I noticed that some on the children were registered under YOUNGE back in Sheffield.

Could that be the mystery George & Sarah were not married.
They are in our burial index by the way. City Road Cemetery.

Sooooo íf George was born in the USA in 1883 they were back in Sheffield for Alfreds birth in Dec qtr 1885.

Another observation..... on the 1901 census there is a child called Emily aged 4mths. No Emily registered at the GRO but an Amelia MMN Young.

Elaine.
Hi Elaine

George Redfern married Sarah Young in Sheffield in 1876 - George's surname was recorded as Redford in error.

Denise

Hi Yes George was married in 1876 to Sarah young on wedding certificate her father was Alfred Young,and George father was also George but both Georges surnames was wrote down as been Redford in error . They were living at Pond Hill Sheffield before they both married.George was 21 and Sarah was 18. When they got back from America,George the son married Ellen Redfern nee Redfern in 1907,these two were my grandad Alfred born 1909 parents my grandads other brother was also called George Redfern born 1907 and married to Doris M Sampson but like my grandad can not find them on 1911 census i can understand that sister Ellen 1911 might have been born after census was done but my grandad and his brother is a mystery thanks Janette

when Alfred was born in 1909, where were they living please and was the address where Alfred was born different to the address of the informant

Hi John,just looked at my grandads birth certificate says Alfred Redfern born 15-5-1909 at 5 court Matthew Street Sheffield.Father George Redfern mother Ellen Redfern nee Redfern.Informant Ellen Redfern mother address 5 Court Matthew Street Sheffield thanks Janette

REDFERN, Alfred (of 5/5 Matthew St, born ~).
Baptised June 2, 1909, by S R N Rees at St Jude, Moorfields.
Parents name(s) are Ellen & George (Bolt heater).
REDFERN, George (of 39 Matthew St, born ~).
Baptised August 26, 1907, by S R N Rees at St Jude, Moorfields.
Parents name(s) are Ellen & George (Labourer).

For what it is worth, both those Matthew Street addresses have records on the 1911 census and the occupants are not Redferns

Dave

Alfred born 1909 was living at 6/10 Hoyle Street Sheffield on 1921 census,Do you know who was living at Matthew Street address on 1911 census please thanks Janette

At 5ct 5h the head was Alvina Naylor age 47 born Sheff and at 39 Matthew St the head was Mary A McHale age 63 born Pontefract.
Dave

Dave, well found on that regarding addresses as my thought was that they were missing hence why we could not find the family.

I wonder if George ran his own business and if so would the info be in a Kellys?

Going back to the 1921 census, who did George work for?

Hi John,George was a Boiler Firer at Forge and Rolling Mills Cap. L.T.D at Milsands Sheffield Thanks Janette

An interesting item!!
"By far the biggest cause of people missing from the 1911 census was civil disobedience. As part of the protest against the government’s continued refusal to grant women the vote, the suffragettes organised a mass boycott of the census."
Dave

Thanks Denise for the nudge. This family certainly were unfortunate how their surname was written. LOL

Elaine.

Seems my grandad was a mystery in 1911 thanks Janette

That is interesting Dave, I wonder if any of them got fined for not completing the census as surely even in those days it was a legal requirement.

John
No woman was fined. Google it
Dave

Hi every one just like to say thank you for all your help,i will just have to except the fact my grandad was not on 1911 census due to his mum and dad not filling in the forms for some reason.thanks again Janette