Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ancestry subscription

Hi Wendy

I have been away so that's why I didn't reply earlier. I have the info you found but I needed to confirm who James' father was so that I could work backwards. I found James, a coach builder, in 1871 as a lodger in Preston Quarter, Whitehaven and then I was looking for him in 1861 with a father called John who was a joiner (according to information from Andrews Newspapers) but I haven't found a match. The nearest I've got is a father John (WHINERAH) who is an innkeeper. The family were living in Lindale Village, Upper Allithwaite.

It gets complicated when the spelling of the surname changes!

Thanks again

Jenny

Re: Ancestry subscription

Hi Jenny,
Recap: James Whineray B:1852 at RAVENGLASS, who is listed on the UK census for 1871 as a 19 year old, coach builder apprentice, living with the Crossdale family at Preston Quarter, may have a connection to your Innkeeper, Jonathan Whineray B: abt. 1891 Ulverstone, Lancs. Jonathan married Alice Rigg on 25th Nov/1815.Ulverstone/Lancs.

Jonathan Whineray on the 1851 census is 64 years old, a widower (still an Innkeeper) living in the Muncaster/Bootle/Cumberland District. With him is his widowed daughter-in-law, Elizabeth, age 31 born in Liverpool and her daughter Ann born in Muncaster, Cumberland. Plus a lodger and four servants.

On the 1841 census I think, Jonathan has the surname "Whinway' his age is 50?, a Publican, living at RAVENGLASS/Muncaster/Bootle/Cumberland.
Living with him is son JOHN, age abt 20 (abt 1820), daughter Margaret age abt 20 (dressmaker) and daughter, Ann age 15. Plus seven lodgers.

I have found a baptism on Fam.Search. for JOHN Whineray on 6th March/1820 at Muncaster, parents: Jonathan Whineray and Alice Rigg.
John may have married 8 Jan/1851 at Crosthwaite, Cumberland to Sarah Pearson.

Now it becomes a little murky, in 1871 there is a JOHN Whineray, married, age 42 (est.1829)born RAVENGLASS, working for the Landsbrough family as an indoor farm servant(no sign of his wife).
I have also found a J.Whinney..??(possibly James Whineray)age 9(1852), on the 1861 census who is a scholar/pauper inmate, born 1852 Whitehaven living at PRESTON QUARTER Workhouse at Mount Pleasant/Whitehaven/Cumberland. Is it a coincidence that RAVENGLASS and PRESTON QUARTER appear to be relevant to James and his father John.
Very confusing, Happy Hunting
Wendy in Guelph:sleuth_or_spy: