Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ancestry subscription

Is there anyone with a subscription to the above who would do the following look up for me please?

Andrews Newspaper Index cards

Marriage of MARY ANN TELFORD to JAMES WHINERAY 1874 Crosthwaite Cumberland.

I did this family tree a few years ago for someone but it has been lent out and lost and regrettably I have deleted the hard copy. I'm just left with some notes and I'm trying to piece it together again.

Someone on Rootschat found it for me originally as I needed to confirm James' father's occupation. There are a few families with similar names and I have notes on them but can't remember which one was the right family!!!

Many thanks

Jenny

Edit: Problem solved re Rootschat. Jenny

Re: Ancestry subscription

Hi Jenny,
I don't have an Ancestry subscription but do have FMP. There is a marriage recorded in the Parish Registers at Crossthwaite Church to James Whineray on the 22nd February 1874. His father's name is shown as John Whineray and her father's name is George Telford.

In 1881 they were living 11 College Street, Whitehaven with son John James and daughter Jane. They had a couple boarding with them. James' occupation shown as coachbuilder. 1891 census still living in Whitehaven with two more children and then in 1901 they were still living in Whitehaven with just the two youngest sons George and Ernest. Hope this is of help.
WendyW

Hi Wendy

I have been away so that's why I didn't reply earlier. I have the info you found but I needed to confirm who James' father was so that I could work backwards. I found James, a coach builder, in 1871 as a lodger in Preston Quarter, Whitehaven and then I was looking for him in 1861 with a father called John who was a joiner (according to information from Andrews Newspapers) but I haven't found a match. The nearest I've got is a father John (WHINERAH) who is an innkeeper. The family were living in Lindale Village, Upper Allithwaite.

It gets complicated when the spelling of the surname changes!

Thanks again

Jenny

Hi Jenny,
Recap: James Whineray B:1852 at RAVENGLASS, who is listed on the UK census for 1871 as a 19 year old, coach builder apprentice, living with the Crossdale family at Preston Quarter, may have a connection to your Innkeeper, Jonathan Whineray B: abt. 1891 Ulverstone, Lancs. Jonathan married Alice Rigg on 25th Nov/1815.Ulverstone/Lancs.

Jonathan Whineray on the 1851 census is 64 years old, a widower (still an Innkeeper) living in the Muncaster/Bootle/Cumberland District. With him is his widowed daughter-in-law, Elizabeth, age 31 born in Liverpool and her daughter Ann born in Muncaster, Cumberland. Plus a lodger and four servants.

On the 1841 census I think, Jonathan has the surname "Whinway' his age is 50?, a Publican, living at RAVENGLASS/Muncaster/Bootle/Cumberland.
Living with him is son JOHN, age abt 20 (abt 1820), daughter Margaret age abt 20 (dressmaker) and daughter, Ann age 15. Plus seven lodgers.

I have found a baptism on Fam.Search. for JOHN Whineray on 6th March/1820 at Muncaster, parents: Jonathan Whineray and Alice Rigg.
John may have married 8 Jan/1851 at Crosthwaite, Cumberland to Sarah Pearson.

Now it becomes a little murky, in 1871 there is a JOHN Whineray, married, age 42 (est.1829)born RAVENGLASS, working for the Landsbrough family as an indoor farm servant(no sign of his wife).
I have also found a J.Whinney..??(possibly James Whineray)age 9(1852), on the 1861 census who is a scholar/pauper inmate, born 1852 Whitehaven living at PRESTON QUARTER Workhouse at Mount Pleasant/Whitehaven/Cumberland. Is it a coincidence that RAVENGLASS and PRESTON QUARTER appear to be relevant to James and his father John.
Very confusing, Happy Hunting
Wendy in Guelph:sleuth_or_spy: