THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: How did 80s metal singers learn to sing??

He built up pressure in his larynx when he did that record. It's the same trick you use when imitating Kermit the Frog.

All of these great singers and no Russell Allen or Eric Adams???? EGG?

revelation
Technically and realistically speaking Mr. Halford in my opinion is the worst and most overrated "singer" in the history of Hard music and universe to be more precise. His "voice" technic is non-existent, just an awful and terrible falsetto tries within thin poor voice, that made him a legend among people who doesn't know the clue about singing and vocal structure of the voice(see also King Diamond :D )!

Wow someone is oblivious.. Apparently you have only been listening too Judas Priest most recent albums. You know, the one's in which he is in his 60's and has been pounding his vocal folds for nearly 40 years, not to mention the drug addictions. Too say he is the worst let alone overrated is just plain delusional. Oh wait maybe it's due to the fact I know nothing about the voice that's why I like Rob Halford's singing, yeah that must be it. I guess I'll take my nearly 3 and half octaves and sulk in the corner because I know nothing about the voice. I'll make sure I let my vocal coach know she and her years opera and being a musical coordinator can take her 4 octaves and shove it.

revelation

There are so many great singers and talents in todays and post-80s metal scene and I still can't believe that people are so limited to this so called singer instead of expanding their horizons with real talents.
In the 80's context refer to real idols such as: Jeff Scot Soto, DIO of course, Steve Grimmet, Kai Hansen, Michael Kiske, Michael Sweet, Mark Boals, Tony Moore, Tate etc.

This made me laugh. First of all no one is saying that Halford is there limit; second your saying how you don't understand how someone does not expand there horizons with real talent. Well I'm not saying any of those mentioned are talented; they just all have the same talent. With the exception of DIO and Tate you could have someone who has never heard any of them before and not tell the difference between them. Hell two of them were in the same band.

As for DIO and Tate, neither one of them kept there voice past the mid 90's. Sure they can still (DIO could.. ) sing, but Tate's tone quality is nothing compared to what it was and he can't sing consistently high anymore. DIO's tone never really changed much, but he sure wasn't singing Don't Talk To Strangers in the same key. Does this make them any less of an icon? No. Back when they were in there prime, they were powerhouses and the same goes for Rob Halford. Sure he uses a lot of falsetto now, but in the 70's, 80's and a good chuck of the 90's, he was clean, gritty, full and used his full range nearly every night.

I get it though, you like singers with a specific sound anything outside the little box is terrible to you. Don't worry you'll expand your horizon someday.

Kai Hansen is an amaaaaaazing singer yeah! **** he was amazing on the early stuff

Please listen to "Run of the Mill" from Rocka Rolla as well as the whole Sad Wings of Destiny album. Halford was a fantastic singer in the 70s.

Another thing that I seldom see discussed is the "dramatic" parts of singing, such as vibrato and glissando. I think Dio is horrible- he conveys this cheesy melodrama feeling. The same goes for the awful James LaBrie of Dream Theater. Cringeworthy.

CD

Everything is in your will and faith to achieve something in life!

Not all those guys are Tenors. If you ever heard Geoff Tate or Jim Gillette speak you'd say they were both deep basses. Yes they didn't have the isolation method. Gotta remember guys, there are LOTS of ways to improve your singing voice. my books are just one avenue. Now with that said, you are right, drive, will and desire...These guys wanted to sing and they wanted to sing high, so they sang high songs until they got there;)