THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 2 Important questions

Water and vocal rest. They need to heal - so SHUT UP!!

For better tone, honestly just follow the RYV technique. Read it and reread it until you're going "OH, okay, I get it now" until as you're reading you can feel the physical sensations of what you're supposed to do. Then practice it until you have mastered it. It's not a speedy process, nothing quality ever is.

Also - learn to RELAX - the more relaxed and unrestricted you can keep your singing mechanisms and resonation cavities the more tone you can manipulate.

To be perfectly honest it takes more then just your tone for people to love you as a performer. Though a great tone and voice is definitely a plus, about 55% of the audiences perception of you is visual - do you emote what you sing, do you "sell the song" visually? Are those expressions large enough for the people in the back of the club to see? Confidence is another key - NOT cockiness mind you, but a humble confidence. The voice isn't the WHOLE package, if you aren't interesting and genuine people won't pay attention no matter how great you are vocally. Don't misunderstand performance as strictly theatrical. Everyone who paid a cover is there to see a show, have a good time and make some memories, they aren't there to see if you can hit a F#6 or a B2 - they really don't care (nor do they even know what that means) as long as you entertain them. If you don't deliver they won't be back, and neither will you.

Ever wonder why Taylor Swift is famous? Really, she's not that great - she's terrible actually, but she has a great show ad relationship with her audience and her fans - so they support her.

Diane and Alex thankyou guys much appreciated you´ve helped me alott with the responses, Diane I can´t really shut up cause I do marketing so is this Ok or can´t I really talk ...

I would be silent when it's allowable and since you have to talk a lot for work anyway I'd look into speaking techniques that professional speakers use. These are like a singing techniques for speakers with direction on proper placements and projection for the health and longevity of the voice.

JUST DON'T WHISPER! You will actually cause more damage.

An as Alex said, I'm sure if you search swelling there will be MANY-a-thread about it. I know Jaime also has a few books on herbal remedies and elixirs for vocal health and recovery.

Angel
Hello RYV family can anyone tell me things to do to reduce swelling of the vocal cords

And the other question: Is there anymore things to do for a better tone I want people to be amazaed by the first note If you guys know what I mean

Define "better tone". You will find that a large portion of singers don't like their voice, especially in the early stages of voice training. People always want to sound like somebody else. As your voice grow stronger ad you learn to expand your throat and maintain an open throat for singing, you'll develop a more robust tone. Just keep training (after the swelling goes down) and I promise you it will happen - it just takes time, a commitment to training on a regular basis, as well as throwing in periodic rest days - because your voice does need a regular rest period.

Tim

Thankyou Tim for your response it make's great sense I'm kinda new to vocal tcq I don't really like my voice but others say I have a great voice so I started looking for vocal training at first I tried to improve with youtube videos but didn't getted to the point I wanted but I was lucky enough to find you guys and jaime vendera I do love singing and will be trying everything I can to be an amazing singer,and I will be posting every question I have to :p

Thankyou guys

For swelling, Zinc lozenges, the chalky kind, maybe 4 a day and hot water sipping it all day long.

Try to be pro-active to avoid vocal fatigue. One of the best advise I have ever is: "If you feel your voice, you're doing something wrong"! Meaning that if you feel irritation, stop and realign yourself.