Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Paramore baptism

Hi

Paramore, Lucy (of Sheffield, born 1821-11-23).
Baptised December 16, 1821, by M Preston at Sheffield Parish Church, Church Street, Sheffield.
Parents name(s) are Elizabeth & Aaron (Cutler).

I have a copy of the will of William Peckett who died in 1851. This states that Lucy "Paramore otherwise Peckett" was his natural child by Elizabeth Paramore.

In the 1841 census Lucy was listed as Lucy Peckett (FMP transcribed as Pechett) and she was living with William and Elizabeth.

She married as Lucy Peckett in 1842. The record of her marriage to Joseph Lingard says that her father was William Peckett, cutler.

It looks like Aaron and William both thought that they were Lucy's dad. Perhaps you could add a discreet note to her baptism record to indicate that there is some doubt?

thanks!

Heths

Re: Paramore baptism

Is it definitely the same Lucy re baptism and marraige?

Hi John,

Aaron Paramore had married Elizabeth Firth. William Peckett married Elizabeth Paramore in Feb 1850 (2 months after Aaron died) That 1850 marriage record showed her maiden name was Firth. Also in the 1851 census Elizabeth had a grandchild with her, surname Pass. A Mary Ann Paramore had married Charles Pass, and that marriage record showed her father was Aaron. So I’m convinced that the Lucy Paramore baptised 1821 with parents Aaron and Elizabeth is the same Lucy whose mum later married William Peckett, after being his common law wife for well over 25 years. Lucy’s age fits as well.

Heths

have you found Aaron in 1841 and I preume the death of hom was the one registered in Chesterfield Union.

Heths,
Are you aware of this 1811 baptism (from FMP) at Doncaster St George?
Henry, first son of Aaron Paremore, a SOLDIER. Born Aug 29, Bapt Sept 22. MMN Elizabeth Firth.

Dave

Hi Dave and John,

Yes, I have the baptism for Henry, thank you. When Henry got married he said his father Aaron was a cutler. I guess he was only a soldier during the Napoleonic Wars and then went back to his former trade. Elizabeth (who was born in Doncaster) must have followed Aaron to France because their daughter Mary Ann was born in Rouen around 1817.

I know Aaron was back in Sheffield by October 1818 because he was taken to court for larceny at that time. Elizabeth must have left him sometime between 1821 and 1824 I think. In March 1826 he was sentenced to 4 months imprisonment for stealing. The report said he was also known by the alias of George Spooner. The following year he (bigamously?) married Ann Brookes, who died 9 months later. He had at least 4 children between 1835 and 1843

In the 1841 census he and his latest partner Harriet were in Clarborough, East Retford. FMP transcribed them as Parowmore. Aaron died on 30 Dec 1849 and his death was reported in the Sheffield Independent of 5 Jan 1850.

Heths

interesting I have a cd of Nottinghamshire burials and Aaron is not listed as being buried at Clarborough, unless Notts FHS have transcribed his name completely wrong

Hi John,

He was buried in Chesterfield. But we digress. The point is that Lucy’s baptism says that Aaron was her father, whereas William Peckett states in his will that she was his own illegitimate child. I think that as Elizabeth and Aaron were still married, Lucy would legally be regarded as his, but it would be good to attach a discreet note to the record (eg more info available via the forum) to give a heads up to anyone researching her family. Likewise her marriage record to Joseph Lingard. Any Lingard descendants tracing their tree could waste a lot of time looking for a non-existent baptism for Lucy Peckett, not realizing that she was baptized as Paramore.

Heths

Hi Heather,

Will Lucy Peckett aka Paramore cover it.

Elaine.

Hi Elaine,

Yes, that would be fine. Thanks!

Heths