Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Agnes Kirk and Thomas Wood

Agnes Kirk born July 1894. In 1921 she is living with Thomas Wood and his family with their daughter Evelyn but they are not married. They went on to have other children Annie, Kenneth and Thomas. On Anges' death certificate she is Wood maiden name Kirk but I can't find a marriage for them. Can anyone help?

Also on this page is a death which I think is their daughter, I am not sure what the o/w means she would have been born in 1925 so were they still not married then?

WOOD o/w KIRK, Doris

Agnes Kirk also had a child Ethel Kirk in 1916 but she was not Thomas Wood's child. Agnes was a spinster.

Re: Agnes Kirk and Thomas Wood

Could Agnes have married before and her husband had died in World War one so you are looking for a marriage of Thomas Wood to Agnes ****** how old was evelyn in 1921

Hi Helen,

I would like to add another slant to your research.

I have found two baptisms for Agnes.

One on July 10th 1894 at St Marie's RC. Church
Two on July 13th 1894 at Sheffield Parish Church.

They should be both in our extensive database if you would like to check them out.

Could be the reason you are not finding a marriage for her.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Presume Elaine you are saying that parents won't let her marry on religious grounds and was it permitted to be baptised into both faiths?

From a 34 Celsius brazil

I think o/w means "otherwise"
This would imply they were not married
Dave

Thank you. Not according to family stories, she had Ethel out of wed lock we don't know the father and then stayed with the family until presumable she moved out to live with Thomas Wood and had Evelyn. The story is when Agnes was more settled she wanted Ethel to live with her but her parents wouldn't let her take Ethel. Ethel lived with her grandparents and then her aunt Agnes' sister.

Evelyn's age is 0 on the 1921 census.

Thanks Dave. Is is possible they never married even though her death certificate in 1973 says Widow and maiden name etc

Hi Helen,

Sorry we have not completed the baptisms for 1894 from Sheffield Parish Church.
I was looking at FMP. The Catholic baptism is in our database.

The one at SPC reads. 13th July 1894 baptism of Agnes Kirk parents Henry & Mary Jane Kirk of 20 Reuben St. Henry was a Fire Iron Finisher.

If Thomas had been married prior to he and Agnes getting together, then they would not be allowed to marry.Applies to her also being married prior to this get together. Rules were much stricter back then.

Elaine.

PS Just looked at the GRO index.......
There are two Ethel Kirk's listed for 1916.
One in Pontefract One in Sheffield.

The Sheffield one has the MMN as Fletcher.?????

Suggestion. Check FreeBMD out for a Fletcher/Kirk marriage prior to 1916.

Thanks Elaine, yes that is her. Mary Jane her mum was from Ireland and they were of Catholic faith. I don't think Agnes had been married before from family information but maybe Thomas Wood had will try and check it out but it is quite a common name.

Even as widows...how would they know faiths and what would happen if one orchestra other changed faiths could they marry then

John leave that alone and check what I have suggested to Helen.

Elaine.

This one is my grandmother

KIRK, ETHEL -
GRO Reference: 1915 M Quarter in SHEFFIELD Volume 09C Page 1114

No MMN

We were always told she was born in 1916 but it looks like it was a year earlier as on this site too

I am just checking the 1921 census again Agnes Kirk is a border and single. Thomas Wood is listed as married so I think you may be correct that he was married and therefore they didn't or weren't allowed to marry.

I just assumed on her death certificate it wouldn't have said Agnes Wood maiden name Kirk.

Sorry about earlier message..regarding Thomas Wood it says married but obviously no wife listed. How old was Thomas in 1921 and when did he die (using phone so not able to view earlier messages) just wondering if he is on the 1939 register and can he also be found in 1911. Wa Thomas born in ireland

He was born in 1890 died in March 1953. On 1921 census he is 30. I can find them on the 1939 census he is Thomas Wood Married and she is Agnes Wood Married but I can't actually find the marriage. They have Evelyn Wood then 2 records closed then Kenneth Wood. The address is correct.

It is extremely unusual to find a maiden name on a death cert in England.There must be a reason for that
Dave

Thats interesting in box 2 Name and Surname it says Agnes Wood. In box 4 Maiden surname of woman who has married it says Kirk.

Could they have married in Scotland or Ireland hence that's why no marriage trace found

Stop looking for a marriage of Thomas tro Agnes. All the chioldren were birth registered as Kirk and illegitimate

KIRK, EVELYN -
GRO Reference: 1920 S Quarter in SHEFFIELD Volume 09C Page 1058

Births Jun 1925 (>99%)

Births Sep 1922 (>99%)

Births Mar 1938 (>99%)

Dave

Thanks Dave, I couldn't find an Annie Kirk on GRO but found this so thought the children were Wood. It looks like they at least were not married when the children were born and probably never married

WOOD, ANNIE -
GRO Reference: 1922 S Quarter in SHEFFIELD Volume 09C Page 939

Follow up on this marriage
Marriages Mar 1914

WOOD, Thomas (Bachelor, age 23, Cutler, residing at 8 Court 1 House Smithfield).
Married Daisy Freda ROLLINSON, on January 25, 1914, by James Griffiths (Banns) at
St Jude, Moorfields. Father's name is Tom Wood (Cutler).
Married in the presence of Charles Herny Carson, Annie (mark).
Notes: ~.
Page No: 93 Reg No: 186
ROLLINSON, Daisy Freda (Spinster, age 20, Driller, residing at 8 Court 1 House Smithfield).
Married Thomas WOOD, on January 25, 1914, by James Griffiths (Banns) at
St Jude, Moorfields. Father's name is Frank Rollinson, deceased (Draper).
Married in the presence of Charles Herny Carson, Annie (mark).
Notes: ~.
Page No: 93 Reg No: 186

Thomas is right age and occupation.

In 1921 i cannot find Daisy F Wood. However there is a Daisy F ROLLINSON living with her mother (the head) in Sheffield and there is living with them ANNIE E WOOD b 1914 and said to be granddaughter of Head.

Daisy Freda Wood died in 1987 age 94
WOOD DAISY FREDA 4JY1893 SHEFFIELD 3 974

So Thomas could not marry Agnes because he was already married to Daisy, who outlived him.

Dave

And Daisy Wood b 4th July 1893 and married is still with her mother Lily Rollinson in 1939.
Dave

Furthermore it looks like Annie E Wood was actually Annie E Rollinson born illegitimate in q4 1913 a few months before Daisy married Thomas Wood.
Very complicated but all the pieces fit perfectly.
Dave

Thanks Dave would it be likely he would have a daughter called Annie to his first wife and then another daughter called Annie to Agnes? I will follow this up.

Hi Dave are you able to let me know where you found this as this is the one I find which gives the childs name as Wood and not Kirk

Births Mar 1938 (>99%)
Wood Kenneth W Kirk Sheffield 9c 797 Scan available - click to view

Annie E Rollinson was illegitimate. Thomas Wood was not necessarily her father.
I wonder if Thomas Wood took part in Ww1?
Dave

Helen Penkethman
Hi Dave are you able to let me know where you found this as this is the one I find which gives the childs name as Wood and not Kirk

Births Mar 1938 (>99%)
Wood Kenneth W Kirk Sheffield 9c 797 Scan available - click to view
I see they double registered him. The two areon the same page at gro
Dave

Annie and Thomas are also double registered but not Evelyn.
Dave

Thanks Dave more indication that they weren't married I suppose. It is complicated I don't think their children were aware they weren't married, at least they were always called Wood.

Helen,
The double registrations show up on FreeBMD. On Gro Index only the later registration of the two shows up.and in each case that is the Wood surname.
This means that at the time of birth Evelyn1920, Annie 1922, Doris 1925, Thomas 1932 and Kenneth W 1938 were each registered as Kirk and illegitimate.
At some date after 1938 they went back to the reg office to re register Annie, Doris, Thomas and Kenneth as Wood.For some reason not Evelyn.

You can purchase online the Annie Wood certificate digital image for only £2.50, and that will give you the date of that re registration. The others are less than 100 yrs old so would cost you a full pPer cert.
Dave