Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
James Edward Sharman

I am trying to find the parents of a James Edward Sharman, born approx 1871.
He appears on the 1881 census living with his uncle Edward Sharman and family at Heeley Green. He is on the 1891 census living with his Uncle Charles Wilkinson and Aunt Mary and their family also at Heeley Green. On the 1901 census he is married to Martha Ellen.
I can't find any evidence of his natural parents, I suspect it might be the elder brother of Edward and Mary Sharman, William but have no evidence.
Any help would be appreciated.

Re: James Edward Sharman

Hi Daren,

By using FreeBMD that will get you started.

Then move on to the General Register Office Site

This will give you.

SHARMAN, JAMES EDWARD -
GRO Reference: 1870 D Quarter in SHEFFIELD Volume 09C Page 423

You will note there is no MMN so one presumes he was illegitimate. BUT purchasing his Birth Certificate would answer your question.

Elaine in Ottawa.

SHARMAN, JAMES EDWARD -
GRO Reference: 1870 D Quarter in SHEFFIELD Volume 09C Page 423.

He was illegitimate, so presumably born to a sister of Edward. You can purchase the cert online as a digital image from GRO for £2.50
Dave

Hi Darren, This is very confusing on the 1911 census it shows him married to Marry Ellen, but the marriage shows his name as James Albert Sharman.
James Albert Sharman
Groom
England, Yorkshire, Parish Registers, 1538-2016

Marriage 3 August 1896 Brook Hill
Sheffield, Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom
Birth 1872

Parents Albert Sharman
Spouses Martha Ellen Lodge

Hello everyone,
To add to Barry's find. On this site under burials, JAMES EDWARD SHARMAN and MARTHA ELLEN SHARMAN are recorded as such.
James would not be the first prospective spouse to not be thinking straight on their wedding day, he was probably thinking of his father Albert when he gave his name as James Albert.
HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Darren,
On the 1861 Census the daughters of Peter Sharman and his wife Caroline are Mary (17), Lizabeth E (11) and Ann (5)
In 1871 they are Eliza (24) and Emily (22)
The GRO Index shows 4 daughters, viz:
Mary Elizabeth (1844), Eliza Ann (1846) (mmn Bottomley), Emma (1849) and Sophia (1855).
Daughter Mary married before 1871 explaining why she is missing in that year.
In 1861 it looks like there may be 2 mixed together with Lizabeth and E (Emma or Emily) with Emma’s age being recorded. (perhaps confusion caused to the enumerator by Mary Elizabeth, Eliza(beth) and Emma). Ann must be the girl registered as Sophia in GRO.
Turning now to James Edward Sharman. He was born illegitimate on 7th Dec 1870. At the time of the 1871 census (from which he is missing) he would be 4 months old. His mother could not be Mary (she was already married before his birth) and Eliza and Emily (Emma) are there with their mother and brothers. Ann (Sophia) is, like baby James Edward, also missing.
Now jump to 1878. Anne Sophia Sharman marries Joseph Thompson in Ecclesall Bierlow.
On the 1881 Census Annie Sophia Thompson, her husband Joseph and a 2 yr old son (mmn Sharman) are living at 55 Heeley Green. At the same time James Edward Sharman is with his uncle Edward and Grandmother Caroline at 20 Heeley Green
I suspect that Annie Sophia Thompson nee Sharman was the mother of illegitimate James Edward born 1870 (when Annie Sophia was 15)
Dave

Thank you Elaine, most helpful.

Very interesting. I had suspected that Emily (Emma) and Lizbeth were the same person. The Ann Sophia sounds very possible. Thank you for this Dave, much appreciated.

Darren

Darren
On looking in more detail at the 14 sisters I suspect that perhaps Annie Sophia was not the mother of illegitimate John Edward Sharman. There is a more likely candidate.

In 1881 Census James Edward age 11 is with his Uncle and Mother.
Just 2 doors away is Emily (Emma) Clark nee Sharman and she also has an illegitimate son John Edward Sharman age 9.
There is a clear birth reg for illegitimate James Edward in 1870 q4, so at the 1881 census he should be 10 yrs old, not 11. Clearly an erroneos age by one year in the census.
I think it is significant that there is no birth reg for John Edward Sharman age 9. I wonder if he is a double registration of James Edward. Presumably living 2 doors apart the young boy may sometimes sleep in mother house and sometimes in grandmothers. Easy to double register especially when everyone was illiterate.

This would mean that Emma/Emily was the mother of James Edward, born 3 years before she married James Clark.

I assume you are aware of this illegitimate birth registration
SHARMAN, SAM HUTCHINSON -
GRO Reference: 1880 J Quarter in ECCLESALL BIERLOW Volume 09C Page 38

He was obviously born to Eliza Ann, 4 years before she married Samuel Hutchinson.

Hutchinson Samuel Ecclesall B. 9c 471
Sharman Eliza Ann Ecclesall B. 9c 471

On the 1891 census he is down as 10 yr old John Sharman Hutchinson, son of Samuel and Eliza (nee Sharman), so first name changes are very common in this family Emma/Emily, Sophia/Ann, Sam/John and James/John

And James Edward's uncle Edward was actually baptised John Edward
Sharman, John Edward (of Bernard St, born 1852-10-29).
Baptised January 19, 1853, by E.G.Kelly at St John, Park.

Dave

Oops, 4 sisters not 14
Dave

Dave T
Darren
On looking in more detail at the 14 sisters I suspect that perhaps Annie Sophia was not the mother of illegitimate John Edward Sharman. There is a more likely candidate.

In 1881 Census James Edward age 11 is with his Uncle and Mother.
Just 2 doors away is Emily (Emma) Clark nee Sharman and she also has an illegitimate son John Edward Sharman age 9.
There is a clear birth reg for illegitimate James Edward in 1870 q4, so at the 1881 census he should be 10 yrs old, not 11. Clearly an erroneos age by one year in the census.
I think it is significant that there is no birth reg for John Edward Sharman age 9. I wonder if he is a double registration of James Edward. Presumably living 2 doors apart the young boy may sometimes sleep in mother house and sometimes in grandmothers. Easy to double register especially when everyone was illiterate.

This would mean that Emma/Emily was the mother of James Edward, born 3 years before she married James Clark.

I assume you are aware of this illegitimate birth registration
SHARMAN, SAM HUTCHINSON -
GRO Reference: 1880 J Quarter in ECCLESALL BIERLOW Volume 09C Page 38

He was obviously born to Eliza Ann, 4 years before she married Samuel Hutchinson.

Hutchinson Samuel Ecclesall B. 9c 471
Sharman Eliza Ann Ecclesall B. 9c 471

On the 1891 census he is down as 10 yr old John Sharman Hutchinson, son of Samuel and Eliza (nee Sharman), so first name changes are very common in this family Emma/Emily, Sophia/Ann, Sam/John and James/John

And James Edward's uncle Edward was actually baptised John Edward
Sharman, John Edward (of Bernard St, born 1852-10-29).
Baptised January 19, 1853, by E.G.Kelly at St John, Park.

Dave

Dave,

I did wonder if the illegitimate son of Emily could have been James E. I was put off by the fact that he did appear on the census with his uncle Edward.
I have now got the birth certificate and the mother is actually Eliza, her address at the time is Staniforth Lane, where she is living on the 1871 census, but no mention of James E on that census.
Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Sam Hutchinson Sharman is in my tree can anyone find him in 1881 please, im on vacation at the mo so not got many notes with me. He was the son of Eliza Ann nee Sharman and they had a daughter in 1884 or 5 cant remember.

was not allowed to talk to family much on this side as very hush hush.

Samuel hutchinson sharman and Ada were living with the drummond family in 1901 as both parents had died all I can remember is he was Samuel Corker Drmmond but forgotten who he married but they are related as S H Sharman and Ada were nephew and niece.

As for James Edward Sharman when I get home I shall try to find the info on him I have.

Hope you sheffielders survived the floods

from a 33 degrees Fortaleza, Brazil

Sam Hutchinson Sharman birth registered June quarter 1880
The 1891 census for Heely has Samuel Hutchison 46 and Eliza Hutchison 45 and two sons John Sharman Hutchison 11 and Ada Eleanor Hutchison 5.

Did Sam become John, at least in 1891?

Keep cool.

Sam Hutchinson Sharman, does appear to have had a name change. Seems to be a common theme in the Sharman family as with Emma/Emily.
Eliza had two sons before she married in 1884. James Edward in 1870 and Sam/John Hutchinson Sharman in 1880. There is an 1881 census with an Eliza Sharman boarding at Boyds Mill St. but no mention of either son.

I do not think Eliza is the mother of James Edward this family is very confusing and at times mind blowing I shall send for J E Sharman birth cert when home.

Sam Hutchinson Sharman married Florence Sharman in 1905 but he dropped the Sharman surname I think so not to arouse suspicion but yes Florence is a relative....she is the daughter of William Henry Sharman and Annie Elizabeth Hancock.

Good luck linking all that up

John

Hi John

I do have the birth cert for James E. Got the digital copy, can share if you would like.

Who was his mother. Be interesting to find an albert from marriage cert info

"I did wonder if the illegitimate son of Emily could have been James E. I was put off by the fact that he did appear on the census with his uncle Edward.
I have now got the birth certificate and the mother is actually Eliza, her address at the time is Staniforth Lane, where she is living on the 1871 census, but no mention of James E on that census."

Darren
It looks like the 9 yr old John Edward Sharman (1881) was another example of name switching in this family:

SHARMAN, WILLIAM EDWARD -
GRO Reference: 1871 S Quarter in SHEFFIELD Volume 09C Page 404
So he was illegit Q3 1871 to Emma/Emily, who then married James Clark in q3 1873.
In 1881 he is John Edward Sharman (9), son of James and Emma and in 1891 he is Willie Clark (19) son of James and Emma/Emily and in 1901 he married and declared (honestly) no father name :

SHARMAN, William Edward (Bachelor, age 30, Gardener, residing at 12 Hereford Street).
Married Jane Blanch BIRTLES, on October 20, 1901, by William J Barrett (Banns) at
St Simon, Sheffield. Father's name is ~ (~).
Married in the presence of Edward Pye, Priscilla Pye.
Notes: ~.
Page No: 180 Reg No: 360
BIRTLES, Jane Blanch (Spinster, age 23, ~, residing at 12 Hereford Street).
Married William Edward SHARMAN, on October 20, 1901, by William J Barrett (Banns) at
St Simon, Sheffield. Father's name is John Birtles (Cutler).
Married in the presence of Edward Pye, Priscilla Pye.
Notes: ~.
Page No: 180 Reg No: 360

What a confusing family.
Dave

So James Edward is so of eliza who had Sam Hutchinson sharman and ada Eleanor Hutchinson how very interesting so thank you. I can add that to my notes. I wonder then if eliza was dating an Albert at the time and he died before they wed. Hence that's why he named Albert on his marriage cert. Yes dave I agree it's very confusing it's worse then Smith marrying Smith.

If eliza had James in 1870 and Sam in 1880 I wonder if she had anymore children and I wonder why after all those years she finally did marry. Something I don't think Scooby Doo can solve

William Edward sharman his baptism is on this site. Baptised in 1936 so why?

Take a look (on this site) at the burials of both him and his wife.
Dave

Makes sense now so could be in same grave.. need to check now but I presume Elsie allott was a sharman

William e sharman married Jane b birtles

Jane born in 1879 and mother was Eliza Jubb

William h sharman married Annie e Hancock and after he died she married Albert Jubb.

could Eliza and Albert be related

John

Im now back from Brazil, when I have got acclimatised I will go through this posting thoroughly and see if I can find any more info out from my notes at homecould be a few days though before I do so.

Alice Maude Mary Sharman born 1878 mother unknown.

unable to find any other info on her regarding marriage death ofr on 1881 census

Any advice please be appreciated.

John

Quite a bit of information on Family Search for Alice Maude Mary Sharman. It includes her baptism at Brightside.

Elaine.

PS....Note that the Church could be St Thomas Upwell St Brightside.
The parishes seemed to have been re organized about 1877.

The baptisms is on this site.
October 5, 1879, by T Couch at *All Saints*, Brightside.
Parents name(s) are Henrietta & John Walter (Iron Moulder).

On Ancestry there are 9 trees. They show details of her birth, marriage(to Freer in 1904 Chesterfield)
Dave

Since no mother's maiden name on GRO could henrietta and John be not her true parents as I have found no trace of a henrietta sharman

I think a certificate is called for John.

Elaine.

PS this could be a lead......

You have to dig more John.

SHARMAN, Martha (of 6 Court Saville St East, born ~).
Baptised August 14, 1878, by J B Draper at All Saints, Brightside.
Parents name(s) are Fanny & John (Labourer).
Note: Aged 2 years 6 months

Good idea

Here is the illegitimate birth reg of Alice Maud Mary Sharman
SHARMAN, ALICE MAUD MARY -
GRO Reference: 1878 D Quarter in ECCLESALL BIERLOW Volume 09C

John Walter Sharman married Henrietta Udall in Sheffield in 1871. They had many (legitimate)children (see GRO and Baps on this site) One was birth Registered Lucy Maud but baptised Alice Maud.
John Sharman married Fanny Verney in Sheffield in 1869 and they had several legitimate children including Martha (see GRO and baps on this site)

Neither of these two couples are the parents of the illegitimate Alice Maud Mary Sharman.

Several trees on Ancestry show that Alice Maud Mary's mother was Eliza Sharman born 1859 in Wortham , Suffolk.
Eliza married Heber Elliott in 1881. Heber and Eliza are on the 1881 Census. Alice is also on the 1881 census nearby with Eliza's parents William Sharman and his wife Mary Ann nee Bush. If you follow Mary Ann to the 1891 census (now a widow)you close the loop because Heber and Eliza are with her as are ALICE ELLIOTT (12) and some younger Elliott children.
It all ties together that Eliza Sharman b 1859 Wortham (Suffolk) was mother of Alice Mary Maud.
There is a baptism for Eliza in Wortham in 1859 and it looks like she was birth registered without a first name. She, her brother and sister check out on the censuses
SHARMAN, FREDERICK BUSH
GRO Reference: 1858 S Quarter in HARTISMERE Volume 04A Page 447

SHARMAN, - BUSH
GRO Reference: 1859 D Quarter in HARTISMERE Volume 04A Page 472

SHARMAN, ANN MARIA BUSH
GRO Reference: 1861 J Quarter in CHESTERFIELD UNION IN THE COUNTY OF DERBY Volume 07B Page 547

Dave

Thanks for that Dave so I can cross that off my list. Im working evry day now for the next 9 days so my postings on here might be few but I shall did out my Sharman notes, remove the dust,and see wif there is any more info I have but you haven't. some decendants of Sam Hutchinson Sharman are still alive and as I said earlier its a hush hush but I shall see if I can craftily get some more info before they depart as they are all quite old.