Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Arthur Richard Britton, Sible Hedingham, Essex and Sheffield

I'm trying to find out about a great uncle. He was born and brought up in Sible Hedingam, Essex. His occupation was that of Groom. He later moved to Sheffield where he died aged 29. He married Mary Ann Rawson in 1874. He's buried in Wardsend Cemetery. I'm trying to find out why he moved to Sheffield (work I suppose) as the rest of the family stayed in Essex. Also, what he died of at such a young age. Any info. about him or his Sheffield family would be greatly appreciated. Coincidentally I moved to Sheffield from the south 30 odd years ago and was shocked when his burial in Sheffield came up in Ancestry 'hints'.

Re: Arthur Richard Britton, Sible Hedingham, Essex and Sheffield

Tuesday, Mar. 24, 1874 Publication: Sheffield Daily Telegraph

MARRIAGES
March 22, at the Parish Church, Arthur Richard Britton, ___ier [the word is in the fold] to Mrs. Mary Ann Savage.

The same marriage record is in the Parish Records at the left; a separate search with the bride's name says her father’s name is William Reeder (builder).

https://billiongraves.com/grave/Arthur-Richard-Brittion/29938006 has images of a headstone for Mary Ann's husbands William Savage and Arthur Richard Britton & William & Louisa Goodwin.

Here is the MI

O340 MI
In affectionate remembrance of WILLIAM the beloved husband of MARY ANN SAVAGE who departed this life December 15th 1871 age 30 years
Weep not my wife and children dear
Tis but my frame that lieth here
My soul has found a happier home
And panteth sore for you to come
Also of WILLIAM GOODWIN nephew of above who died May 3rd 1872 age 12 months
Also of LOUISA GOODWIN who died July 2nd 1876 age 26 years
Also of ARTHUR RICHARD the beloved husband of MARY ANN BRITTION* who departed this life February 21st 1879 in the 29th year of his age
“Yea, though I walk through the valley and shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for thou art with me”

*actual spelling

Mary Ann REEDER was married four times:

1866 William SAVAGE
1874 Arthur Richard BRITTON
1880 James BLENCOWE
1891 William FELL

She is buried in this grave as Mary FELL but her death is not recorded on the gravestone

Hugh

Christine, to find his cause of death you need to buy his death cert.
BRITTON, ARTHUR RICHARD 29
GRO Reference: 1879 M Quarter in SHEFFIELD Volume 09C Page 287.

It is available at GRO as a digital image, purchasable on line for only £2.50
Dave