Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Merging Gedcom files

I use FH7 for my family trees and have now after all these years have found out that the two trees I have built up can be merged together.

I have a good friend who is a whizz on pcs but this is something he cant assist me with.

Is anyone out there able to tell me in con computer talk how I can merge them or is anyone willing to merge them for me if I send the files to you.

Regards

John S

Re: Merging Gedcom files

I don't know if this will help and as you are probably aware I am no computer whiz. LOL.

I use "Legacy" the Later Day/Family Search tree. Its a simple program and the Basic Tree is FREE. You can update it.

Under tools you have the option of merg duplicates.
That gives me the option of manually merging duplicates and finding them in the first place.

It shows two duplicates on screen and you merge to the right or left. Which ever one you are the most sure of.

Your program may work the same way.

Elaine.

Thanks Elaine but I'm sure there has got to be an easier way to do this.

I shall charge my brain cells overnight and have a think in the morning.

John

John, are the 2 family trees that you wish to merge 2 very different trees with only a very few common members , eg one is your family and the other is your wife family?
Dave

Dave, yes they are. I was thinking of putting one of the files in a new folder then renaming the other files exactly like the first then copying that file name into the folder that was already there and when it says this file name already exists select the option that does not say copy and replace. Not sure though after charging brain cells that will work.

John

John S
Dave, yes they are. I was thinking of putting one of the files in a new folder then renaming the other files exactly like the first then copying that file name into the folder that was already there and when it says this file name already exists select the option that does not say copy and replace. Not sure though after charging brain cells that will work.

John
John. You have to MERGE the files. Just follow the instructions for MERGE in your Family Tree system.
In order to merge it has to first find entries which are common to both trees. That tells it where to merge them. Now it has a small problem, it has 2 copies of each of those common entries so it asks you which you want to keep. It is only a couple of people (ie you and your wife) so not difficult...
Dave

That is easier said then done with pc knowledge ie the lack of it. If I send you the files will you have a go that is assuming you use Family Historian.

I have read the email the company sent me and as Im not tech savvy do not understand what I have to do.

John

I wonder if the Family Historian users Zoom group at https://fhuzg.uk would be of interest to you. It was set up by Derek Heritage and intended for real beginners. I have belonged since its inception and have learnt a great deal despite being a decidedly non tech person. A voluntary donation of £5 is requested to cover the cost of the Zoom subscription but it is definitely not a commercial venture. Some experts share their knowledge and experience quite freely. Occasionally the discussions are quite beyond me but that's not generally the case and due either to my lack of knowledge of computer language and terms or to the fact that I have not really started to use FH seriously.

By coincidence last Tuesday's session was on the Merge/Compare feature of FH and seemed quite comprehensible to me. I have two small projects I want to merge, but I must hasten to add that I haven't actually tried to do it yet!

Judith

PS Forgot to say that recordings of most past sessions, including the one on Merge/Compare, are available to members and have even been indexed

Might do it the long winded way especially when the nights are drawing in on the run up to Xmas

Hi John,

Just a suggestion - maybe make a back up file before you start trying to merge things? That way if something goes wrong you won’t lose any data.

Good luck!
Heths