Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
City Road section maps

Hi, does anyone know where I can access section maps for City Road Cemetery? If I remember rightly they have them at the archives, but they won't be open on the days I'm visiting.

Ideally I'd like to find where my great grandparents are buried, I know the grave references but they are unmarked public graves so I might struggle to locate them without a bit of help.

Is there a cemetery office at City Road that might be able to help?

Re: City Road section maps

If you could give us a name and the section you think they are in we might have someone who has that map.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Sure:

Thomas Charlesworth, Grave Number 15660, Section EE1
James Salt, Grave Number 7486, Section V1

Hi Paul,

As you have probably seen the City Road Map under our Burials section you will need the section map(maybe).

V1 & EE1 sections are very close together. We used to have photographs and MI's for City Road but no longer. Such a shame.

Here`s hoping that someone may have maps but there is the Office there at City Road as they administer ALL the City owned cemeteries.

Fingers crossed.

Elaine.

Hello Paul,

Your question gave me the opportunity to do something I have been thinking of doing which is to visit City Road for the first for a long time and remind myself how it is laid out and numbered. To do this I collected the information I needed to make my own plot plans of these sections which I will send you.

I also took photos of what I calculated are these particular plots. EE1 15660 was straightforward to find as it has surrounding memorials that can be identified. This plot has a large Whitebeam tree growing from it.

V1 7486 was slightly more difficult as it in a row of mostly unmarked graves. I am 90% sure I have got it right.

Hugh

Many thanks to Hugh and the other individual who contacted me via email, the information you sent made it easy to locate both graves. :)