Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Jane Fairhurst or Fairest 1871 query

Family Search have a Jane Fairhurst on the 1871 born 1819 Holdworth Yorkshire. Widowed, Annuitant. Levenshulme Lancashire. There is a niece Jane Swain aged 11 born Burnt Hill Yorkshire living with her. May I ask if someone could possibly check the original census to confirm if it reads "Fairhurst or Fairest" Regards

Re: Jane Fairhurst or Fairest 1871 query

Definitely FAIRHURST. But in 1861 the same woman is in St Georges Sheffield and is FAIREST.

Dave

Hi Dave

Yes the 1861 was the reason for querying the 1871 Fairhurst. Many thanks

This tells an interesting story about dropped aitches.

From Free BMD 1837 to 1974, all births deaths and marriages:

Lancashire: Fairhurst 25044, Fairest 127
Yorkshire: Fairhurst 1612, Fairest 958

Dave

Have noticed a Jane Fairest born 1819 in my tree who I believe parents were Joseph Fairest & Mary Tingle ?. Wondering if this Jane Fairest perhaps married another Fairest and who died prior to the 1861.

Hi David,

Another one of those stray Fairest I have in my tree but still no definite connection.

Jane Fairest DOB 27 Sep 1819. Bap 29 1819 Loxley Congregational Church
Parents. Joseph Fairest 1788-1866. Mary Tingle 1786-1826

I dont have the parents to Joseph but the baptismal records at Loxley start 1799.

Elaine in Ottawa.

The Jane Fairest b 1819 seems to have married in 1839 to Solomon Marsden. There is no doubt she was an aunt of Jane Swain b 1860 Burnt Hill because Jane Swains mother was Ann Nee Fairest , sister of that Jane Fairest.
Dave

Hi Dave

Yes I agree with that. There also seems to be a death for Solomon Marsden aged 38 in Haslington Lancashire which would link with Jane Fairest being a widow on the 1861/1871. But I wonder why she reverted back to her maiden name. Regards

On the marriage records to the left there is Ruth Fairest (Jane Fairest sister) Who also married a Marsden....but there's a note attached that the Bride signed as Ruth Hurst...I wonder if that should have been "Fairhurst" perhaps the girls were not sure how there surnames were spelt? and would answer the spelling on the 1861/1871 for Jane?

The original is on FMP. Her signature is very shaky but it is definitely not HURST. The first letter is F. To me it looks like Fairest but the dot above the i is exaggerated into a line which could lead the reader to read the first letter as H not F.

As a general point, the vicar or registrar would write down the names of the two parties and he would write what he hears.
FairHurst is clear, but what if the person was Fairhurst but dropped their H?
Try saying Fairhurst but drop the H. The hearer would hear Fairest.
That is the difference between Fairhurst and Fairest, just a dropped H.
No need to look for any other interpretation. It is not how the family spelt it, it was how they pronounced it in times when most were illiterate.
Dave

Hi Dave

Your probably right...the Yorkshire accent. I can always remember although my father lived in Kent he could always drop into the Yorkshire accent when we went back to Oughtibridge, Regards

ELAINE
May I suggest you remove the bit about HURST. The original is on FMP

FAIREST, Ruth (Spinster, age ~, ~, residing at of this Parish).
Married John MARSDEN, on May 6, 1827, by Thomas Sutton (Banns) at
Sheffield Parish Church, Church Street, Sheffield. Father's name is ~ (~).
Married in the presence of James Ingham,Joseph Hudson.
Notes: Bride signed Ruth HURST.
Page No: 88 Reg No: 264
Dave

Morning,
Have checked it out and I agree. Have deleted the notes comment.

Elaine in a very wet Ottawa. 75cm in 6hrs. We now have flooding. What a year.

Oh dear I seem to causing a few problems....Sorry about your weather Elaine

Hi David,

Dont worry about it. I want folks to let me know when we may have transcribed material incorrectly. Took me all of 2mins to find it and change it.

Take care Elaine.