Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
P.F. Towns, Jewellery, Fancy Goods & Leather shop, 68-70 The Moor, Sheffield

Hi, It's a long time since I was here, but I was wondering whether anyone had, or could direct me to, information on the above shop? In 1921 my granddad's sister was working there, and I'd love to have more information, or maybe see a photo of it, if I'm very lucky! Fingers crossed, and many thanks.

Re: P.F. Towns, Jewellery, Fancy Goods & Leather shop, 68-70 The Moor, Sheffield

Hi Janice,
On Picture Sheffield website in the 1920's period
there are photos of:
# 65/67 John Eaton Pawnbroker
# 69/71 South Street Hotel (later Sheffield Picture House)
Sorry could not find #68

The Moor, prior to 1922 was named South Street.

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Re: P.F. Towns, Jewellery, Fancy Goods & Leather shop, 68-70 The Moor, Sheffield

Hi Janice,

Just adding my two cents worth.

I could not find a "Towns" listed under the directories that we have in our database but other folks might be able to help.

What I did spot was a Marriages in Sep qtr 1914.

Percy F Towns married Laura Leverson EB 9c 1175.

The marriage isn't showing up in our database.

Elaine in Ottawa.

There are a couple of articles under newspapers on FMP. Unfortunately I don’t have the grade of subscription to allow me to read them but someone else on here might be able to help you with more detail.

I wonder where you got that name and address from?

The Percy Frederick seems to have had a police record. I wonder if its his wife that is from Sheffield. I can't seem to zero in on him even on the 1921 census.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Wendy in Guelph
Hi Janice,
On Picture Sheffield website in the 1920\'s period
there are photos of:
# 65/67 John Eaton Pawnbroker
# 69/71 South Street Hotel (later Sheffield Picture House)
Sorry could not find #68

The Moor, prior to 1922 was named South Street.

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:
Thank you so much for that info! I’ll certainly take a look myself at Picture Sheffield, I’m sure it’ll be interesting even if there’s no photo of the shop I want.

Elaine in Ottawa
Hi Janice,

Just adding my two cents worth.

I could not find a "Towns" listed under the directories that we have in our database but other folks might be able to help.

What I did spot was a Marriages in Sep qtr 1914.

Percy F Towns married Laura Leverson EB 9c 1175.

The marriage isn't showing up in our database.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Thank you Elaine!

Claire
There are a couple of articles under newspapers on FMP. Unfortunately I don’t have the grade of subscription to allow me to read them but someone else on here might be able to help you with more detail.
Thank you Claire! I have a subscription to FMP but hadn’t thought to look through newspapers, so I’ll definitely do that!

Elaine in Ottawa
I wonder where you got that name and address from?

The Percy Frederick seems to have had a police record. I wonder if its his wife that is from Sheffield. I can't seem to zero in on him even on the 1921 census.

Elaine in Ottawa.
Thanks again, Elaine. The name and address of her employer was shown on her 1921 census entry.

Percy only figures in the Quarter Sessions records because he was often the victim of theft (being a jeweller). His shop was at 4 London Road in 1909. In 1911 he formed Towns and Company with A.H.Denton as a business in warehousing, factoring, manufacture and dealing in hardware, watches, clocks, jewellery etc. This company was wound up in September 1913.

Ted
Percy only figures in the Quarter Sessions records because he was often the victim of theft (being a jeweller). His shop was at 4 London Road in 1909. In 1911 he formed Towns and Company with A.H.Denton as a business in warehousing, factoring, manufacture and dealing in hardware, watches, clocks, jewellery etc.
That's great info, Ted, thank you!

"Percy F Towns married Laura Leverson EB 9c 1175"

Laura's surname at BMD.org.uk is Leverton

Terry Stock
\"Percy F Towns married Laura Leverson EB 9c 1175\"

Laura\'s surname at BMD.org.uk is Leverton
Thank you 😊