Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Walkley Cemetery Info please

Harold Southcott Bullen buried in Feb 1927 in Walkley Cemetery section C grave 614.

Is the cemetery easily accessible and would the grave be easy to find if so as I woild like to see if there is a headstone which could give me further information.

Where exactly is the cemetery please?

Regards

John

Re: Walkley Cemetery Info please

following on from this who did Harold marry?

From the BMD index I have reason to believe he married a Sarah Ann Fletcher in 1903 and from the 1921 census there was a child named Harold aged 11 looking on GRO it give MMN Fletcher.

However, using FMP there does not seem to be a match for the above marriage so I am now wondering did a marriage ever take place?

It says on the 1921 census Harold S Bullen was married but seperated.

Again any help from our superb detectives on this site would be appreciated.

John

Hi John,

To give you a nudge in the right direction.

Look under our MI's section for the person to contact re St Mary's Walkley Cemetery.It's on Waller Rd. A 1927 burial might be in the newer section but I am sure Hugh will steer you in the right direction.

Have you checked out our database for BMD information.

Elaine in Ottawa.

John look at FreeBmd.

there is a marriage Dec 1903 for Harold Sydney Bullen with a 2nd note he was incorrectly listed and there is a decendents email address if you are interested.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Forgot to add there is a map of Walkley Cemetery under our Burial Records.

Elaine.

Hi John,

FYI - a distant cousin of mine visited Walkley cemetery last week. She said it was “neck high in brambles and impossible to see most of the headstones.” She made a phone call and tells me that a very helpful guy in Walkley kindly cut back the jungle covering our relatives grave. So if you visit be prepared for this.

Heths.

Thank you all for replies

If you look on FMP type in Bullen, list year of marriage as 1903 and put Yorkshire as place you will find Harold Sydney, click on him and look at the name options, thats where I am confused as no Sarah listed.

"following on from this who did Harold marry?"

There is a British Army World War 1 Service Record (via Ancestry) for a "Harold Bullen" M1/09087.

The record says this Harold Bullen married Sarah Ann Fletcher, spinster (year not given), next of kin Sarah Ann Bullen, wife, 14 Dover Street, Sheffield.

Children George William born 15-1-07, Harold 1 June 10, Sydney 17-6-18.

Harold Bullen is 30 years 218 days at enlistment 2 Nov 1914 and he was a chauffeur. Based on that detail he was born 29 March 1884. Consider whether this is a match for your target Harold Southcott Bullen, or a different person.

There are family trees at Ancestry for Harold Southcott Bullen. Some have the wife Sarah Ann Fletcher, others Mary Alice Fish, some both.

The 1927 probate was to Mary Alice Goodwin, wife of Walter Goodwin.

Hi

If you go to FreeBMd and search using Sarah Ann Fletcher in Dec 1903 you get

Harold Sydney Bullen
Benjamin Cartwright
Sarah Ann Fletcher
Gertrude King

all Sheffield 9c 1064

Denise

Elaine in Ottawa
John look at FreeBmd.

there is a marriage Dec 1903 for Harold Sydney Bullen with a 2nd note he was incorrectly listed and there is a decendents email address if you are interested.

Elaine in Ottawa.
John,

Naughty Boy.... LOL

You didn't follow through with my message re FreeBMD and Denise followed through with it and found what you need to look at.

FMP is NOT always the best route to take.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Thanks Terry, Harold Bullen was living with Mary Goodwin in 1921 (from census) she too was married but separated. I need to find my notes and double check this as it is getting more interesting.

John

Mary Ann Goodwin was Mary Ann Fish before she married Walter Goodwin
Dave

1927 probate
BULLEN Harold Southcott of 4 Court 1 House St. Thomas-street Sheffield died 19 February 1927 Probate Wakefield 28 March to Mary Alice Goodwin (wife of Walter Goodwin). Effects £31.

Apologies for being late to this thread.

According to our plans this grave does not have a gravestone.

These are the recorded burials for this grave:

Burials in Walkley Cemetery
Grave C614 (no MI)
SAMPSON Annie 31 Jul 1898 13 Robertshaw St 57y Sydney TG Smith
SAMPSON John 3 Jul 1902 139 Mount View Rd. 57y W. Lowndes
BULLEN William George 3 Nov 1906 67 Mushroom Lane 49y J.E. Jump, Vicar of St. George's
BULLEN John Clifford 19 Sep 1912 67 Mushroom Lane 22y J.E. Jessop, Vicar St. George's
BULLEN Harold Southcott 23 Feb 1927 Royal Hospital 42y H.W.Mackay, Vicar of St. George's
STANIFORTH Mary 4 Aug 1927 12 Herries Rd. 80y T.M. Archer
STANIFORTH George 12 Aug 1930 12 Herries Rd 60y WH Barkwell
[name/date of burial/address or place where death occurred/age/minister]

The following grave is clearly related:

Grave M81 (no MI)
BULLEN Harriet 29 Jun 1949 67 Mushroom Lane 89y C.W. Fulljames died 25.6.1949
BULLEN May 8 Jan 1962 City General Hospital 3 Leamington St. 69y Hubert E. George Vicar
BULLEN William Arthur 5 Jul 1952 67 Mushroom Lane 70y C.W. Fulljames died 02/07/1952
HOWARD George Henry 27 Jan 1962 61 Mushroom Lane 75y Hubert E. George Vicar

I'm not sure whether the following grave is related:

J179 (MI;recorded)
BULLEN Arthur 21 Mar 1944 City General Hospital 75y James Adams
BULLEN Mary Ann 24 Aug 1937 16 Parson Cross Rd. 67y R.C. Stevens
BULLEN Rose 12 Oct 1944 41 Bower Rd. 44y J.W.A. Copeland

This is the inscription for this last grave:

[kerb 1]
In loving memory of MARY ANN / the beloved wife of ARTHUR BULLEN / who died Aug 22nd 1957 / aged 67 years /
Also the above named ARTHUR BULLEN / who died March 16th 1944 aged 75 years / Re-united
[kerb 2]
Also ROSE wife of HORACE BULLEN / and loving mother of MARGARET JEAN & ANTHONY / died Oct 9th 1944 aged 44 years /
[footstone]
After much suffering – Peace
[urn]
IHS

Hugh

Heather in Holland
Hi John,

FYI - a distant cousin of mine visited Walkley cemetery last week. She said it was “neck high in brambles and impossible to see most of the headstones.” She made a phone call and tells me that a very helpful guy in Walkley kindly cut back the jungle covering our relatives grave. So if you visit be prepared for this.

Heths.
The late growth of the vegetation after our long cold spring meant it all came at once and is probably the thickest I have seen since the Friends were formed (almost 20 years ago).

Still, the ground cover varies across the site. C614 probably is 'neck high' in willowherb, brambles etc. J179 will have less cover as it is under trees and next to a path. M81 will be more or less clear as it is near some war graves.

I can supply plot plans for these graves by email if required.

Hugh

Hugh, thank you very much for the info really appreciated. I shall have a study and add it to my notes.

John