Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Henry Brookes

Hello
I am researching my husband's family, one of your researchers very kindly sent me a copy of a 1850's newspaper some time ago, as my husband's great great grandfather John Brookes born 1811 had a shop in Sheffield and it was featured in this paper. On reading through this paper, I noticed another advert for a confectioners owned by Henry Brookes, I was interested to see if there was a family connection. So far, I have been unable to find a Henry Brookes, any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Freda Brookes

Re: Henry Brookes

Hi Freda

On the 1851 census Henry Books confectioner born 1814 is living with his wife Ann, several children, a couple of lodgers and servants.

In 1835 Henry Brookes marries Ann Smith, a witness at the marriage is a John Brookes.

If you can give us a bit more info on John (eg parents names, what kind of shop etc) it might help us try and make a connection. Unfortunately there are quite a few John and Henry Brookes born around the same time.

Denise

John Brookes & Son advertised in 1841 Hosiery, Lace, Glove & Millinery Establishment, 53 High Street Head of the Market Place. He was in business with Alfred Brookes.
In September 1843 Henry Brookes,a confectioner was at premises next door at 55 High street, Head of the Market Place, from where he sold Pidding's Howqua Mixture tea and was also an agent for H.Walker, bookseller, 26 Briggate, Leeds. In 1841 Henry Brookes a baker, his wife Ann and their 4 year old son Robert (born 20th December 1836) and servant Mary Clayton were living at Broad street.Henry was still at number 55 in 1871 with the address of the premises now given as 55 Market Place. Next door at 51-53 Market Place was Alfred Brookes 37, hosier and glover.

Hi Denise

Many thanks for your help.
The only information I have for John Brookes, he was married to Mary Ann and he had a son Edmund born 1838. His shop was in the Market Place Sheffield, and was listed as Hosiery, glove lace and millinery establishment.

Thanks
Freda

Hi Ted

Thank you so much for the information, looks like John, Alfred and Henry were brothers

Freda

Hi Freda

John Brooks - Born and Baptised 1810 - Parents William (Snuffmaker) and Ann.

Henry Brooks -Born and Baptised 1812 - Parents William (Snuffmaker) and Ann.

Alfred Brookes - Born and Baptised 1824 - Parents William (Snuffmaker) and Ann.

Might not be them, as there are a few John and Henrys born around the same time. But worth a bit more research.

Denise

Alfred Brookes son of William snuffmaker and Ann born 8th May and baptised at Sheffield parish church on 8th August 1824, married Elizabeth Moulson of Shirebrook on 7th October 1858, residence Market Place. So my money would be that the three Brookes are sons of the snuffmaker.

Hello Denise and Ted

Many thanks for your help, much appreciated

Freda

Just to add little more.

William (Snuff Manufacturer)and Ann Brookes are listed on our 1841 census index.
Rock St. Wm aged 60 and Ann aged 55.
Also Edward son aged 20 a clerk

There is also a baptisms at Upper Chapel on Norfolk St for William son of Wm & Mary Brookes which took place 17th April 1781.

I see there is a Will listed in 1848 for William.

Our database of baptisms does not hold SPC baptisms for 1800 to 1813 at this time but it is in the works. Family Search may turn up other children for William.

The only marriage (unless I missed it) was for a William & Sarah Fenton in 1803.

Lots of bits and pieces to be checked out.

Elaine in Ottawa.
Cooler...No Smoke,Tornadoes in the Ottawa area. What a year.

Hello Elaine

Thank you so much for the information, where did you find the will in 1848 for William?
Sorry to hear about the weather in Ottawa, been raining here for days, not to warm either

Many thanks
Freda

Hi there,

I found the will on FindMyPast but its only an index. I am not that good with wills but I am sure someone else will explain how you can get a copy.

I have just had a look at the baptisms at Sheffield Parish Church that we have still to transcribe. I started looking for a John Brookes that Denise mentioned as born in 1810. He is not listed at SPC for 1810. BUT thats as far as I looked.

Are you sure that William the snuff maker is the next generation back.
Some of Williams children are in our baptism database
I noticed something rather odd about Edward Brookes check it out.

Elaine.

Sorry not sure how to navigate the website

Freda

Hi Freda,

Our Website is very easy to use . It just takes a little time to get used to.

If you look over to the left you will see where its says "Parish Records"

These are all the Parish Registers we have transcribed over the last 20 years.
Plus a few City Cemeteries and the 1841 census index.

Sheffield had been poorly covered by Ancestry when we first started and FindMyPast was not in existance. Thats how Sheffield Indexers came about. Our big plus is that it is free. Canny Yorkshire folks.LOL.

Back to Parish Registers.

The Headings are for Baptisms and Marriages just click on baptisms and start there.

Fill in Brookes and just one of the children i.e. Edward..... and two will come up with parents William and Ann.

OR just use the surname BROOKES and father William and see what you get.
Play around with it. Then check marriages out. Prior to 1848 most people would have been married at Sheffield Parish Church (Cathedral).

Just post here if you need another nudge.

Elaine in Ottawa Canada.

Elaine in Ottawa
Hi there,

I found the will on FindMyPast but its only an index. I am not that good with wills but I am sure someone else will explain how you can get a copy.

I have just had a look at the baptisms at Sheffield Parish Church that we have still to transcribe. I started looking for a John Brookes that Denise mentioned as born in 1810. He is not listed at SPC for 1810. BUT thats as far as I looked.

Are you sure that William the snuff maker is the next generation back.
Some of Williams children are in our baptism database
I noticed something rather odd about Edward Brookes check it out.

Elaine.

Hi

John Brooks (no e) was baptised at Sheffield Parish Church in 1810.

According to the baptism records for John, Henry and Alfred the father was William a snuffmaker.

So that makes William the snuffmaker the next generation back.

A William Brooks married Ann Blacktin in 1804

The will for a William Brookes in 1848 doesn't give any detail it's just an index and only identifies 'William Brookes of Sheffield'.

Denise

Hi Denise,

I trawled all the way through the copies I have for us to transcribe the baptisms from 1800 to 1814. I covered just 1810 and I found only one John Brooks no (e) but the parents are John & Millicent a file smith.

Where did you find the three boys and what month was John baptised please. Its one way of checking if what Terry photographed was what we need.

Terry your doing a grand job.

Found the marriage already in our database.

BROOKS, William (Bachelor, age ~, ~, residing at Of this Parish).
Married Ann BLACKTIN, on February 5, 1804, by Edwd Goodwin (Banns) at
Sheffield Parish Church, Church Street, Sheffield. Father's name is ~ (~).
Married in the presence of John Hawk,Saml Sorby.
Notes: Bride signed with a mark. Groom signed his surname as BROOKES.

Elaine.

Elaine in Ottawa
Hi Denise,

I trawled all the way through the copies I have for us to transcribe the baptisms from 1800 to 1814. I covered just 1810 and I found only one John Brooks no (e) but the parents are John & Millicent a file smith.

Where did you find the three boys and what month was John baptised please. Its one way of checking if what Terry photographed was what we need.

Terry your doing a grand job.

Found the marriage already in our database.

BROOKS, William (Bachelor, age ~, ~, residing at Of this Parish).
Married Ann BLACKTIN, on February 5, 1804, by Edwd Goodwin (Banns) at
Sheffield Parish Church, Church Street, Sheffield. Father's name is ~ (~).
Married in the presence of John Hawk,Saml Sorby.
Notes: Bride signed with a mark. Groom signed his surname as BROOKES.

Elaine.
Hi Elaine

I found them all on FMP.

John Brooks was Baptised on 26 Aug 1810 (Born 5 July 1810). Looking again at the baptisms- the father was a Snuffer Maker, rather than snuffmaker!!

Denise

To Elaine and Denise

Thank you so much for all your help

Regards Freda

Ah - candle snuffers makes more sense. In February 1823 the warehouse of Powell and Brookes, snuffer makers in the neighbourhood of Rockingham street, was broken into, and all the finished articles ready for delivery the following Saturday, were taken. John Bage, the culprit was apprehended and committed for trial. At the 1841 census a William was a snuffer manufacture at Rockingham street with wife Ann and children John (7), Edward (5) and a servant. This William was born in 1804 son of William (a snuffer maker) and Ann, so probably another brother of John, Henry but Alfred is likely to be this William's son, as this man married Ann Mornhill in May 1826. In September 1842 one of the workmen of Messrs Brookes, candle snuffer manufacturers, was sentenced to three months imprisonment for stealing a quantity of iron and steel from his employer. In September 1846 William Brookes of Brightside Bierlow, snuffer manufacturer, was a member of the Grand Jury dealing with theft and asault cases.
This site's Directory records show William Brookes manufacturer at premises including 29 Rockingham street between 1833 and 1852 and that he also made sugar & nail nippers, nutcracks & Garden shears.
In 1841 a William Brookes snuffer maker aged approx 60 was living at Rock street (brightside Bierlow) with wife Ann and son Edward (20 a clerk). This site's Directory section shows William Brookes senior having qualifying property (warehouse and shops on Rockingham street) but home address Rock street.

So I think William and Ann had children William (married Ann), John and Henry, with a grndchild Alfred.

Hi Ted

Thank you so much for the detailed information, really interesting
Regards
Freda

Although not a direct line through Henry Brooks, my husband's line goes back through Emma Brooks, daughter of William Brookes and Ann Blacktin. She was born 28 Nov 1806 / baptised 28 Dec 1806. She married John Shaw, Wire Ropes manufacturer in 1830 in Ecclesfield.

Thank you for your email, it looks as though our husbands have some shared ancestors, if you need any more information, please feel free to contact.
Regards
Freda