Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
George William Parkin. 1861 census

George William Parkin was born Oughtibridge 20 July 1859. His birth certificate gives no father and mother's maiden name as Ann Parkin. Trying to pick them up on the 1861 to find Ann's possible age or family link. Can't seem to find a possible on family search so any help appreciated.

Re: George William Parkin. 1861 census

Just an idea... could Ann have married and George taken her husbands surname?

I don't think so at time of birth.. becouse George's 1st marriage to Martha Fairest 1883 gives his mother Ann Parkin as a spinster and no father. But to confuse...George's 2nd marriage to Jane Ibbotson 1916 he gives his father as Henry Parkin, deceased....

Please note..I do have George and family on 1891/1901/1911

Hi Dave,

Don't overthink it. LOL.

George William Parkin was illegitimate...... As it shows on his birth and 1st Marriage certs.

30 years later he fills in Henry Parkin as his father to save face or Henry was the only father he had ever known. Good for him.

Take care Elaine.

Dave,

Have a look at the 1881 census for Hillsboro.
George & Ann Brown with a Lodger George Parkin a Steel Forger aged 21 born Bradfield.

Elaine.

PS Have you looked at the Baptismal records for Church of Ascension in Oughtibridge???

In the 1861 census there is a 2 year old George Parkin in the household of Benjamin (23) and Elizabeth (17) Lockwood. Young George was a visitor and born Oughtibridge. There is also a Wilkinson family as a separate entry for the same address.

The address is “30 Private” (others have “private house”) in Bradfield. The preceding record is 28 Farm House.

The next page includes 32 Castle Fields, 33 Castle Bents and Old Horns Inn. I leave it to you to better work out the locality.

There are 3 Benjamin Lockwood marriages at BMD 1855-1861 where a spouse option is Elizabeth. There is one in the Wortley registry Sep quarter 1860 where one of the traditional female names is Elizabeth Parkin.

So your Ann Parkin probably had a sister Elizabeth Parkin born about 1844.

Hi David,

On the 1871 census at Town Head, Ecclesfield, Wortley, there is a George Brown aged 52,
a blacksmith born Norfolk, His wife is Ann Brown aged 50 born Gate, Yks.
With them are John Parkin, son-in-law, 15yrs, born Outibridge, George Parkin, son-in-law,
aged 11, born Outibridge and another son aged 8yrs,

There is a John Edwin Parkin born Q4 1854 Wortley MMN Parkin.

Marriage, St Nicholas, Bradfield, 6 October 1861.
George Brown, 43, Widower, Blacksmith, of Gate Bradfield, father George, Labourer,
Ann Parkin, 41, Widow, of Gate Bradfield, father John Redfern, file manfacturer.

Moira.

"So your Ann Parkin probably had a sister Elizabeth Parkin born about 1844."

It looks like Elizabeth Parkin was Ann Parkin.
PARKIN, ANN ELIZABETH REDFEARN
GRO Reference: 1844 D Quarter in WORTLEY UNION Volume 22 Page 677

Note mmn Redfearn which ties in with Ann Brown in 1871
So on the 1871 census with the Browns George Parkin was actually step grandson, not son in law.
Dave

Check out 1851 Census for hamlet of Gate, Oughtibridge. Ann Parkin age 30 with husband HENRY Parkin, daughter Elizabeth age 6 and 2 other children. It looks like when illegitimate George Parkin married for the second time he used his grandfather name when naming his father.
Dave

Many thanks for all this I really do appreciate it. Certainly a lot to check out.

"There is a John Edwin Parkin born Q4 1854 Wortley MMN Parkin*.

Here is his death
PARKIN, JOHN EDWIN 2
GRO Reference: 1856 D Quarter in WORTLEY Volume 09C Page 117.

I suspect that the John Parkin age 15 in 1871 was actually

PARKIN, HENRY REDFEARN
GRO Reference: 1856 M Quarter in WORTLEY AND PENISTONE Volume 09C Page 179

He was son of Henry and Ann (nee Redfearn). He would have been stepson not son in law

Dave

Hi Dave

Have I got this right?....Henry & Ann (mmn Redfearn) Parkin were my George William Parkin's grandparents and the the Elizabeth Parkin ( Ann Elizabeth Parkin) born 1844 was George's mother? Which would have made her 15 at time of George's birth.

Apologies if I'm reading this all wrong. Thanks again for the help

I think you have read it correctly
Dave

Hi David I,
The GRO for George William Parkin is: 1859 Sept qtr. Wortley..no mmn.
Henry Parkin I believe died in 1857 June qtr age 35 Wortley.
If this is correct, then George Brown was more likely to be George Wm. Parkin's father.

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy: