Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dykes Hall Road

Hi,
I am trying to find out the year when the house at 125 Dykes Hall Road was built. I know my great grandparents Samuel & Prudence Whittingham were living in it on the 1911 census. As far as I know it was never a council house. So I need to know when it was built, were they the first to live in it and would they have rented or owned it?
Steve

Re: Dykes Hall Road

Hi Steve,

One of our long time friends of Sheffield Indexers Kevin Bennett put together a CD of a Street Index taken from Sheffield Rate Books.

I do have a copy which I will try to find the address you have given.
OR Kevin himself may see the message and give you an answer.

Elaine in smokey Ottawa.

is that due to wild fires still

has the address been found on the 1901 census?

They moved to Sheffield between 1908-1911. They would not be on the 1901 census for that address and i don't know who, if anyone lived there before them.

Hi John,

I am going to send you information re the fires as I dont think you realize how bad it is.

It's the peat burning under the trees that is hard to control could take weeks for it to clear... With the first snow.

Elaine.

I am afraid that Dykes Hall Road does not appear on the Rate Books I indexed up to 1891. I am working on the 1901 Rate Books, and it does not appear there either. Looks like it was after 1901, but can't add more.

The house appears on the O.S. map which was surveyed in 1888,89,90,92. In December 1893 125 was occupied by the Ibbotsons, who advertised to find their lost spaniel. In February 1898 J.Ibbotson was a subscriber to the Hallamshire Mortgage and Investment Company. John P Ibbotson, a retired file manager was listed at 125 in the 1901 census. In December 1908/January 1909 J.H.Dykes was living there - he advertised seeking a post as a nightwatchman.

At the 1891 census the Ibbotsons were at number 119, and the neighbouring houses (including 125) were un-numbered but occupied, presumably newly built. Tom Peck, a tailor, was at 123 in 1901 and at the un-numbered house next door to 121 in 1891. In 1891 John Hague, a machine filecutter, was at the un-numbered house (probably 125).

Thank you

If it is low any additional use my grandfather lived at the bottom of Dykes Hall Road from 1948 to 1965.
I am sure he rented the house from someone who lived at Worral.

Hi Steve,
On this site, under Parish Records- Baptisms, there is a birth for Florence Brammall, born 29th June 1906 baptised July, parents Emily and Victor Lewis (Engineer). Residing at 125 Dykes Hall Road.
So in 1906 there was a Brammall family living at #125.
HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

steve whittingham
Hi,
I am trying to find out the year when the house at 125 Dykes Hall Road was built. I know my great grandparents Samuel & Prudence Whittingham were living in it on the 1911 census. As far as I know it was never a council house. So I need to know when it was built, were they the first to live in it and would they have rented or owned it?
Steve
There's a stone dated 1888 on 157 Dykes Hall Road.