Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Coroners Records

Looking for the coroners report for a accidental death.
Dick Green from Penistone, dies 06/01/1883 aged 33 years.
Inquest held 09/01/1883 and death certified by Coroner for Sheffield
Death registered in sub district of North Sheffield.
Thanks

Re: Coroners Records

Hi Audrey

do you have the newspaper report from January 1st?

Jenny

Ancestry has this
West Yorkshire, England, County Coroner Notebooks, 1852-1909
but I don't see Dick/Richard Green there for 1883.

This could have had later consequences
Jan. 1, 1883
Publication: Sheffield Independent
Accident at Penistone Steel Works - On Saturday morning, while a party of men were engaged in lowering a large pipe in the Bessemer department of the Yorkshire Steel of the Yorkshire Steel and Iron Works, the hook broke through the eye of the pulley blocks. The pipe fell and caught a man named Dick Green, of Corunna terrace, Penistone, breaking his leg between the ankle and the knee. He was removed to the Sheffield Infirmary by the 10.50 a.m. train, where his injuries were promptly attended to.

Possibly related: Sheffield Independent, Saturday, June 28, 1884 has a report of an inquest into the death of Tim Green, also of Corunna Terrace; died of injuries received in an explosion at Penistone Steel Works.

Wednesday, Jan. 10, 1883 Publication: Sheffield Independent has report of the inquest into the death of Richard Green on the previous Saturday at the Infirmary. The report is quite lengthy and I will send it to Audrey.

Sorry I don't mean to jump onto this post but I am looking for something similar.
My grandfather Ernest Dewey died as a result of injuries at work when an 8 tonne piece of metal fell on him literally crushing his legs.
He later died. This I believe was in and around 1918/1919.
Where would I look please for any coroners reports or newspaper articles?

Karen. You need to look at British Newspapers Archive or the same records on Find My Past.
The accident is briefly reported in Sheffield Independent of 20th May 1920. The coroner's report is in Sheffield Daily Telegraph, also on 20th May 1920.
Dave

Hi Karen

I sent copies of those newspaper articles to your email address.
The email bounced back because your "mail box is full,and cannot accept messages".

Let me know if you want me to send the email again.

Anne

Hi Ann
Please if you could send them again that would be great. Hopefully it's sorted now. Thank you so much.