Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
stillbirth burials

Good afternoon all,

I know that I had a relative stillborn in Sheffield in 1908 and I also know that there will not be a birth certificate for that child. I don't know however if there would have been a death certificate issued for the child? I also have the burial details or some of them. So, my question is 'would there have been a death certificate issued?'

Kind regards

Re: stillbirth burials

Glynn, the simple answer is no death cert would be required for a stillbirth.
If there was any sign of life at birth then there should be both birth reg and death reg

Dave

Many thanks for the prompt reply. I thought as much, but because the little child was buried I thought there might be a death cert
Many thanks
Regards

Hi Glynn & Dave,

I wasn't 100% sure of what I remembered about stillbirth registrations and yes they are registered.

https://www.gov.uk/register-stillbirth

I was told it was a separate register and would not show up in the GRO index.
Not sure of that. The info I was given was from Sheffield Registry Office.
They also said no burial could take place without a death certificate.???

Elaine in Ottawa.

This is the information from the GRO website.

Registering Stillbirths
Stillborn children were not regitered before 1927
Stillbirth registration was introduced on 1 July 1927 to help protect infant life, provide a valuable source of statistical information and to give parents the opportunity to have their child officially acknowledged. A stillborn child is a child born after the 24th week of pregnancy who did not breathe or show any other signs of life. When a child is stillborn the midwife or doctor will issue a medical certificate of stillbirth which will be used to register the stillbirth.
When stillbirth registration was introduced the age limit was the end of the 28th week of pregnancy, not the 24th (as it is now). This is a relatively recent change following the greatly increased survival rates of premature babies.
Current GRO policy on obtaining stillbirth certificates: "Due to the sensitive nature of stillbirth registrations, the procedure for ordering a certificate of the entry differs from other types of certificates. We will only send out the application form after we have been contacted by phone or in writing by the mother or father (if he is named on the certificate). In cases where the parents are deceased, a brother or sister can apply if they can provide their parents' dates of death."

Thanks Angela much appreciated. Elaine.

Hi Angela,

So, am I correct in thinking then that because mine was a 1908 stillbirth there will be no stillbirth certificate? If there is then as the current surviving ancestor, could I apply for a copy?

Regards

Glynn

There will not be a birth or death certificate.

I have spoken to a colleague at the Register Office and the stillbirth certificate is required for a funeral to take place.

Angela

Hi Angela,

Thanks for the reply. You state on a previous post:

"We will only send out the application form after we have been contacted by phone or in writing by the mother or father (if he is named on the certificate). In cases where the parents are deceased, a brother or sister can apply if they can provide their parents' dates of death."

I can provide in writing the details required, but because this death and burial was in 1908, would a stillbirth Certificate exist?
And also, I am not the parent or sibling I am the oldest living relative so could I apply?

Regards

Hi Glynn

No certificate will exist.

Stillborn children were not regitered before 1927

Angela

Many thanks to everyone for their help, patience and knowledge in answering me this query. I really am very grateful to you all
Kind regards
Glynn