Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Annie & Shelia Bates (Twins)

Hi everyone

I am looking for the burial place of twins Annie (1938-1941) & Shelia (1938-1941) Bates

The 1939 record shows the family living at Woolen Lane states Shelias date of birth was 17th November 1938

Their parents were Abraham Bates born 16th November 1912 Mary Elizabeth 25th July 1910 they married at St Bartholomew's 31st October 1936 They lived at Langsett Road & Woolen Lane at that time So I think they twins would have been buried close by I have checked Wardsend records they are not buried there other member of the family are buried at Tinsley Park but they are not listed

Which of the local churches had a burial ground at that time ?

Many thanks
Angela

Re: Annie & Shelia Bates (Twins)

Hi Angela,

On FreeBMD it is only showing Shelia Bates aged 2 Died March qtr 1941
Sheffield 9c 1282.

Elaine in Ottawa.

I know the father in your target family is Abraham Bates. You also mention Woolen Lane. You have a birth dates of 17 November 1938. But I wonder if this from the burial records here is your Annie:
BATES, Annie (Daughter of Albert, age 2 weeks).
Died at 17 Wolley Lane; Buried on December 5, 1938 in Consecrated ground;
Grave Number 22, Section M1 of Burngreave Cemetery, Sheffield.
Parent or Next of Kin if Available: . Remarks: Officiating Minister: ~: Removed from Sheffield Parish.

FMP has mistranscribed the burial at Tinsley Park of Sheila Bates of Woolen Street on Jan 14 1941. The transcription says Age 20 (b 1921) but the original clearly shows she was 2 (b 1938).

The burial record at Burngreave for Annie Bates age 2 weeks (found by Terry) is in our Burial Records over to the left. If you click on Find Similar in same Grave you will see it is a mass grave containing 73 babies.

Dave

Many Thanks Terry the I was put off Annies burial record because the fathers name is Albert but maybe he did not like the name Abraham I got the date of birth from the 1939 register which can be a great help Once again thank you the family w2ill be so pleased although I find it sad the children were not buried together

Many thanks Dave T I was put off by the mistranscription ...Also the transcription of Burial records which I was given for Tinsley Park does not have Shelia listed at all I need to add it for future reference

Thanks Elaine for your help too

Dave T I forgot to ask does Shelia's burial record at Tinsley Park give a Grave reference please

Angela,
Unfortunately no it does not
Dave

Angela

This burial of Sheila Bates is not at Tinsley Park Cemetery.
It is in Tinsley St Lawrence churchyard the archive reference is PR144-4-5

Angela

oops, Thanks Angela
Dave