Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
thomas Burn/ Catherine Graham and nieces Mary and Bridget Cary

I am search information on the family thomas burn who married catherine graham ----- married possibly in sligo or county mayo

They where living in sheffield in the 1851 census children, bridget 18, John 16, james 14, robert 12, thomas 10, mary (8)

In 1861 sheffield census Thomas/Catherine alive, children living at home James 23, Richard 21, Thomas 19, mary 17, nieces bridget carey (16) and mary cary (19)

This is the marriage of a daughter

BURNS, Bridgit (~, age ~, ~, residing at Coalpit Lane).
Married Michael DENNISON, on June 24, 1851, by E Scully (~) at
St Marie Parish Church, Norfolk Row,Sheffield. Father's name is Thos and Cath (~).
Married in the presence of Bart McGetherick,Bridgit Mullins.
Notes: [ i ].

a son

Burns, Richard burns married Bridget Bartley in 9/29/1864 in bradford and died 9/26/1868 sheffield (coal accident)

I am really interest in finding thomas burns and catherine graham ancestry.....I am also interest Richard Burns and Bridget Bartley ancestry

Give that two neices with the name cary are living with thomas and catherine graham burns this could also lead to further hints .....

.Thank you everyone who help me with the bower/ranney issue this past week!! Janice in cold cold Boston MASS.

Re: thomas Burn/ Catherine Graham and nieces Mary and Bridget Cary

Hi Janice,

Are you aware of this site for Irish Genealogy.

https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/

Regards.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hi Janice,

On the Sheffield 1851/61 census it states they were living on Coalpit Lane.

All of the children were born in Ireland. On the 1861 census it states Mayo as place where they were all born. I am presuming they are all Catholics.

Thomas occupation is a masons lab in 1851 and a gardener in 1861.

There is a site called The Ships Lists that might help you.

I am presuming you have all the information once they landed in the States?

Elaine in Ottawa.

mary, thomas and james stayed in england or moved to usa?

Elaine

Thanks....Did not know about the ship list page....

I do not know what happen to James, thomas, mary (children of thomas and catherine graham) and nieces bridget and Mary carey/carey. Nor where the parents died.

I know that richard died in the coal mines in 1868 sheffield....and his sister bridget married michael dennison in sheffield and moved to cambridge mass were the couple were raising brother's richards children - catherine and richard.

Re: mary, thomas and james stayed in england or moved to usa?

Hi Janice,

Think I have found Thomas in 1871. His age keeps altering.

1871 England, Wales & Scotland Census
Cherry Tree Hill Road, Ecclesall Bierlow, Yorkshire & Yorkshire (West Riding), England

First name(s)  Thomas
City  Sheffield
Last name  Burns

Relationship  Lodger/Widower
Country  England

Sex  Male
Sub district  Ecclesall Bierlow
Age  70?
Occupation. Gardener.

Birth county as transcribed  IRELAND

Do you know about the GRO/ General Register Office.??

Elaine in Ottawa.

It could be the father..

GRO .... I can not travel to ireland I live in boston ma. and if there are fee's to get copies that i can not do.

Thomas & Catherine Burns.

Yes it was the father I was talking about.

No need to travel........

Sites to help you.

General Registry Office. (GRO)
https://www.gov.uk/general-register-office

FreeBMD.
https://www.freebmd.org.uk/

As this family were RC. I would have expected to find them in St Michael's Cemetery Sheffield. By 1871+ They could have been anywhere.
Just enter St Michaels in our Burial Records over to the left.

St Michaels RC, Rivelin - Sep 23, 1862 to May 14, 2010 

Prior to 1861 the Rc's were probably buried in the Anglican Graveyards. NOT much to chose from.

Unless the 1851/61 census had Catherine's age down incorrectly I could not find a Catherine Burns old enough on the GRO Death Index. Ages 45 on the 1851 census. aged 50 on the 1861 census.

If one of our supper sleuths could have a look at it please.

Elaine.

Hi Janice et al,

It is difficult to determine birth dates when census ages fluctuate so much.

There is a possible death for CATHERINE BURNS on this website (burials, over to your left, lots more details). in 1879 age 64 (which puts her birth at 1815)..?? Buried St.Michael's Cem.

On Family Search website there is a possible death for THOMAS BURNS died Oct/1872 age 75 (B:abt. 1897) at Sheffield Union buried at Sheffield General Cemetery.

The above are speculative.

HAPPY HUNTING :sleuth_or_spy:

With regard to the Thomas Burns. widower, Gardener who was 70 and in Cherry Tree Lane in 1870.
There is a newspaper announcement in 1865 of the death of Ann, age 64, wife of THOMAS BURNS, Gardener of Holly Street. Fits perfectly so I suggest he is not the right Thomas.
Dave

mary, tom James burns cem records

Hello Everyone

At St michael's cemetery on find a grave....there are very few pictures of the burns tombstones.

in some rows there are two people listed in each plot

b 100 and b 119 John and TOM
r32 and r 135 james and mary
u21 and u 112 bridget and mary

Are the people listed in b plot some how closely related ( r32 and 135 James and mary husband and wife)

janice

Re: mary, tom James burns cem records

You will find full info about each of those 6 different graves in our BURIAL RECORDS
Dave

Yes i saw them in the burial records for st michael cemetry.What am asking is those buried in lots s are they closely related?

For each of the graves click on Find in Same Grave.
Dave

Hi Janice,

After following DaveT's comment you will see that there are many listed all different surnames. From that I have a feeling that the grave was a public grave site.(Free?) There is only one Burns in there.

I don't know if you have looked at the map of St Michael's.......

At the top of the page where you would have entered your search there is a header MAPS and PHOTOGRAPHS. I can not see a section S. BUT that is not to say there isn't one.

I would suggest you contact the Priest at St Vincent's at Crookes as I believe he covers St Michael's. Many years ago I took photographs of the cemetery and you will see how steep the hillside is which I would have thought would have restricted how many could be buried in any one grave.

** Does anyone know the name of the currents priest at St Vincent's?
Found it. Fr Pat.... Fr Patrick Walsh.
40 Pickmere Rd, Crookes, Sheffield.
Web Site...https://www.stvincentschurch.com/
email...crookes@idnet.com

Elaine.

Hi Elaine,
According to an internet search the current parish priest at St.Vincent's is Fr. Paddy Walsh
email: crookes@idnet.com
hope the link works.
HAPPY HUNTING :sleuth_or_spy:

Hi Wendy,

I was having one of those senior moments. Then the light went on. LOL.

Hope you survive the storm. I am hunkered down fingers crossed the hydro doesn't go off.

I am clearing out my emails, gosh what junk I saved. LOL

Take care.

Elaine.

To specifically answer the 2 questions
Are the people listed in b plot some how closely related?
There is no reason to think they may be. OUR burial records show it is highly unlikely and give full details of everyone in each grave.

r32 and 135 James and mary husband and wife?
If you look again at OUR burial records you will see that at death age 0 James was a little below marriage age

Dave

Hi Dave/Janice,

I believe the "O" relates to the index that was supplied by St Michaels keeper of records many years ago. If I remember correctly it means no information.

Elaine in a very very cold Ottawa. minus 10Deg Cel. and strong winds.Minus 20cel with the wind chill.