Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
CLARA JANE BUXTON

The 1891 census shows that she was born abt 1849 in Carlisle Cumberland living in Stainton Cumberland the wife of James Bell with five children, The 1891 shows that she was born 1849 in Sheffield living in Kingmoor Cumberland the 1901 also shows that she was born 1949 in Sheffield living in Caldewgate Cumberland.the 1851 shows that she was born in Haxley Lincolnshire living in Ecclesall Bierlow the family name is named as "Benston" the 1861 shows that she was born 1849 in Westwood Lincolnshire living in Nether Hallam Heeley. the 1871 shows that she was born 1849 in Sheffield living in Carlisle but she is listed as the daughter of her Father and morther in law William & Jannet Bell. Clara died 20 - 05 - 1924 age 74 in Carlisle.
I have searched the Yorkshire Births I have not found a birth record for a Clara Jane Buxton
I do hope someone can help me to sort this puzzle out.
My very best wishes.
Fred Wheatcroft.

Re: CLARA JANE BUXTON

Hi

I know this is the puzzle several of us have tried to help Fred with over the last couple of years.

For anyone wanting to help it might be useful to type 'Clara Jane Buxton' into the search box at the top of the message forum page and that will bring up all the previous information we've been able to find, plus where we were up to in the search!

No harm in starting again from scratch but at least any info can be checked against what's previously been found!

Denise

Hi Fred,

I see the marriage for John Buxton and Elizabeth Wheatcroft was in 1851, after Clara Jane was born.

This seems to be Johns first marriage:
John Buxton and Susanna Webster, 27 Jan 1836 Haxey, Lincolnshire.

John was at Westwoodside in 1837 when he was discharged from bankruptcy.

There is a birth for a Sarah Ann Buxton in 1841 and a Jane Buxton in 1843, both in Gainsborough district with MMN Webster, and corresponding baptisms in Haxey. There is a burial in Haxey for Jane Buxton of Westwood , 22 Aug 1847 aged 3 years, and also a burial at Haxey for Susanna Buxton of Westwood, 27 May 1850 aged 39.

From that, it looks like Haxey is a good bet if Clara was born ca 1849, but like you I can't immediately find a birth or baptism for her.

Heths

Has anyone found her on the 1911 and 1921 census and when did James die?

Are you sure the date of death is correct

Are you sure we have not got 2 Clara Jane Buxton people here and hence the confusion