Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sarah Ann Astrop

Sarah Ann Astrop/Asstrop born 1860 Sheffield. She married John Henry Wild in December 1877 fathers name John Astrop/Asstrop deceased occupation Auctioneer. I can't find the family in the 1861 census. Neither can I find Sarah Ann Astrop/Asstrop in the 1871 census.

I have the death certificate for a John Astrop/Asstrop in 1863 which seems to fit he was 32 and lived at Court 4 Jessop Street present at death Sarah of same address, I assume his wife. His occupation is Table Knife Hafter.

Could Sarah Ann have put his occupation as Auctioneer as she wasn't aware of his profession being only 3 when he died?

Also in 1864 I can find 3 baptisms for Sarah Ann, Ann Eliza and George Astrop/Asstrop address Jessop Street so fits with above, mother Sarah, father John Table Knife Hafter but doesn't say deceased. Would the children have been baptised after their father had died.

Apart from the different occupation this all seems to fit and I can't see another Sarah Ann Astrop/Asstrop born in 1860 Sheffield but want to make sure I have the right family for Sarah Ann.

Any help appreciated.

Re: Sarah Ann Astrop

Hi Helen,

Just a quick reply.

Under Astrop Ann Eliza, Mary Elizabeth & Sarah Ann baptised together in 1864 at St Mary's Bramall Lane. And yes they could be baptised after their fathers death.

Will look for more. Think I saw the burial for their father just want to check it again.

Sarah Ann Asstrop registered Dec qtr 1860 Ecclesall Bierlow 9c 234.
MMN Bonnington.

Elaine in Ottawa.

John Asstrop
Groom
England, Yorkshire, Parish Registers, 1538-2016

Marriage 20 October 1852
Cathedral Church of St Peter and St Paul Sheffield, Sheffield, Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom
Birth 1831

Parents John Asstrop
Spouses Sarah Bonnington. ASSTROP, SARAH ANN Mothers maiden name BONNINGTON
GRO Reference: 1860 D Quarter in ECCLESALL BIERLOW Volume 09C Page 234 ASSTROP, ANN ELIZA mothers maiden name BONNINGTON
GRO Reference: 1863 S Quarter in ECCLESALL BIERLOW Volume 09C Page 249 ASSTROP, GEORGE mothers maiden name BONNINGTON
GRO Reference: 1853 D Quarter in OF ECCLESALL BIERLOW Volume 09C Page 196 ASSTROP, MARY ELIZABETH mothers maiden name BONNINGTON
GRO Reference: 1855 S Quarter in OF ECCLESALL BIERLOW Volume 09C Page 228 I think John Asstrop's christening is on this site. The christenings must have been altogether.

Thank you. It was the occupation that was throwing me too but thought it unlikely there were 2 Sarah Ann Astrop/Asstrop born in Sheffield in 1860.

George was born in 1853 not 1863 and there was another child William in 1859.
Name: Mother's Maiden Surname:
ASSTROP, WILLIAM BONNINGTON
GRO Reference: 1859 J Quarter in ECCLESALL BIERLOW Volume 09C Page 243

ASSTROP, GEORGE BONNINGTON
GRO Reference: 1853 D Quarter in OF ECCLESALL BIERLOW Volume 09C Page 196

Despite the fact that John said he was a bachelor when he married Sarah Bonnington it looks like he was a widower. He is on the 1851 census with his first wife Mary Ann. He is a knife hafter..

this looks like his first wife's death

Name: Age at Death (in years):
ASSTROP, MARIA 20
GRO Reference: 1851 S Quarter in SHEFFIELD Volume 22 Page 452

Dave

No Edit Function!!!
My apologies, I misread so Barry's birth record for George, which is correct at 1853.
Dave

I did see that Dave and dismissed it as you said with it saying bachelor. Do you think the occupation on Sarah Ann's marriage certificate stating John is an auctioneer is false. Everything else fits.

There is no doubt you have the right family, the GRO Index records prove that through the mother maiden name.
Why she would say Auctioneer is anyone's guess
Why he is down as bachelor when he was a widower is also a mystery.
Their complete absence from 1861 and 1871 censuses is also strange.
Dave

Thanks it is strange will keep digging.

Helen, these burials at St Mary Bramhall Lane do at least simplify the problem a bit.

ASTROP William 22Jan 1860 9m Thomas St
ASSHOP George 6Feb 1861 7 Jessop St
ASSTROP Ann Eliza 7Aug 1864 1 Jessop St
ASSTROP John 21Jun 1863 32 Jessop St

ASSTROP Maria 13Jul 1851 28 Bailey Field (age 20 on GRO)

Dave

Thanks Dave, looks like Sarah Ann was one of the lucky children.

Hi again Dave, can I ask when you searched for these deaths which site do you look on. I have seen the deaths but not an address which would be useful for future searches. Thank you.

Hi Helen,

S&DFHS transcribed the burials from St Mary's Bramall Lane for the NBI many years ago. They are available from GenFair. S&DFHS have also allowed FMP use of their transcriptions. Have you also looked at Family Search.

It seems that both the baptisms and burials all took place at St Mary's. Thomas St & Jessop St are very close and still there. Maybe not as they were. Have a look at Google Earth.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Thank you, I am still new and learning to all this but finding it all really interesting!

Hi Helen,

And thats one of the reasons we are here.... to help.

Going back to Johns possible marriage to a Mary Ann as per the 1851 census. Mary Ann was supposedly born in Lincoln.

I can not find a marriage prior to 1851 for John. So he may have been a bachelor in 1852 when he married Sarah Bonnington.

Elaine.

Probably completely wrong on this so apologise in advance if I am.

1. Do we know where in Lincolnshire John married in 1852?

2. John died in 1863 when Sarah was 3 years old and it says he was a Table knife hafter. Who did her mother marry after that if she in fact did? If she did marry could it be an auctioneer who was called John Astop (sic) ie this John had a different father but lets say the father of John that we know about and the father of our mystery John if this is the case were brothers.

See told you possibly a red herring!!!!!!!!

Just to add a little......

ASSTROP, Maria (, died on ?, at the age of 28).
Resided at Bailey Field and buried on 13 Jul 1851 in ? ground;
Grave Number ?, Section ? of St Mary Cemetery, Bramall Lane.

Could this be Mary Ann wife of John...... Her age is seven years older than her
1851 census. She was 21 on that. Census place of abode Bailey Lane.

He married Sarah Bonnington at SPC Dec qtr 1852.

Have tried using FreeBMD a marriage for John Asstrop/Astrop/Astrope.

Bailey Field came under the Parish of St James. Our next marriage project.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Thanks Elaine and everyone the advice is always appreciated. The Maria death could be a first wife I wonder if the 28 should have been 22.

John married Sarah Bonnington in Sheffield in 1852 he was single and a table knife hafter.

The John Astrop that married earlier was also born in 1831 and a table knife hafter so is either a totally different person or as above he was actually a widower. Can't find this marriage in either Sheffield or Lincoln.

After John dies in 1863 I can't find any further records for his widow Sarah Astrop/Asstrop either on any census or further marriage or death so it is a mystery what happened and if anyone was an Auctioneer!

The death of Maria Alstrop in 1851 is on GROIndex, but they say she was 20 at death which fits perfectly with 1851 census.
Dave

Probably again insignificant but in 1848 in the Pontefract area a John Astrop married a Mary Ann Rawlingson it says they were both of full age and he was a widower his occupation though was weaver

Helen

A few newspaper articles and a birth reg for you to digest

and 6 months. On the 18th inst., Elizabeth, wife of Mr. Samuel Elliott, Ball-street, aged 28. On the 16th inst., Mr. John Astrop, cutler, Jessopstreet, Moor, aged 32 years. On the 16th inst., Julia Cardin, spinster, Leavygreave, aged 38. On the 14th inst
20 June 1863 - Sheffield Daily Telegraph - Sheffield, Yorkshire, England

25th inst., Mary, wife of William Powell, Jjawsoa-stieet, table-knife cutler, aged yesrs. the 25th inst., Jane, wife of John Astrop, Suffolk-road, aged 77 years. 0# the 25th inst., Sarah Hacker, widow, Montfordstreet, aged years. die in it., Hannah Maria
31 March 1866 - Sheffield Daily Telegraph - Sheffield, Yorkshire, England

A ' ▲ ▲ WEEKLY SUPPLEMENT
inquest was at the Cross Keys Inn, Cross Burgess-street, and was the body of a child named James Astrop. The deceased was the illegitimate son of Surah Astrop, a widow. The child was fonnd dead in bed, and open verdict was returned by the jury. Accidents
26 May 1866 - Sheffield Daily Telegraph - Sheffield, Yorkshire, England

was returned. The third inquest was at the Cross Keys Inn, Cross Burgess-s reet, and was on the body of a child named James Astrop. The deceased was the illegitimate son of Sarah Aslrop, a widow. The child was found dead in bed, and open verdict was returned
23 May 1866 - Sheffield Daily Telegraph - Sheffield, Yorkshire, England

Birth Reg

ASTROP, JAMES BONINGTON
GRO Reference: 1866 J Quarter in SHEFFIELD Volume 09C Page 376

Dave

I will have a look.

Thanks Dave that is interesting so she may not have ever re married but had another child after her husband died.

Helen
I wonder if this could be the death record for Sarah?
Name: Age at Death (in years):
ASTHROP, SARAH ANN 46
GRO Reference: 1874 M Quarter in SHEFFIELD Volume 09C Page 235

Can anyone find a burial please?
At the time of this death her 2 daughters would be 14 and 19 so they could make mistakes on age and/or name.
Dave
Edit: She was buried in General Cemetery
R15 19 Feb 1874 25 Feb 1874 Sarah Ann ASTHROP 46 Widow 6 Broad Lane

It could be would be great if there was anymore information. There are so many different spellings of the name. If no one can find anything else I will send for the death certificate. Can you find anything on her daughter Mary Elizabeth Asstrop born 1855 I can't find a marriage or death certificate. I think her and Sarah Ann are the only surviving children if indeed Mary Elizabeth did survive.

Hi,

Like yourself I couldn't find anything after her baptism 3rd Feb 1864. Thats when they were all baptised. Her fathers death was in 1863. Ann Eliza then died August 1864

I wonder if the mother & remaining two children ended up in the Workhouse.??

Elaine.

Thanks Elaine, yes that would be a possibility will keep trawling!

Marriage Sheffield q1 1873 Mary Elizabeth HASTROP married William Hitching or Thomas Roberts
Dave

The marriage is on this site over to the left. She married William Hitching. She was 18 and her father was John Hastrop, cutler.
Dave

Good find Dave......And yet another spelling of the surname.

Elaine.

The FamilySearch transcription adds that the residence for both is Silver street.

Sheffield Independent Mar. 8, 1873 has the couple in a list of 4 marriages that day at the "Parish Church". Bride's surname there is also Hastrop. No other useful details.

Thanks Dave and Terry I will check this out. I have tried various spellings starting with A but not H this looks promising.

From our transcription......Under Parish Records.

HASTROP, Mary Elizabeth (Spinster, age 18, ~, residing at Silver St).
Married William HITCHING, on March 3, 1873, by J W Appleford (Banns) at
Sheffield Parish Church, Church Street,Sheffield. Father's name is John Hastrop (Cutler).
Married in the presence of Thomas Glossop (mark),Elizabeth Glossop (mark).
Notes: Bride signed with a mark.

I had thought maybe an "H" also as Yorkshire folks do tend to drop "H's or add them.

Hence being taught..... "Oh Horace isn't it horrid when you have to hold your hat on with your hand." LOL. William would have his surname when spoken as "Itching"

Elaine in "Hottawa"

PS we are currently working on Sheffield Parish Church and getting very close to having covered 1800 to 1908.

Haha thanks Elaine. It doesn't say father deceased which he would have been, I am not sure if it would always have deceased written on the marriage certificate?

Whether or not it says deceased depends on the person performing the marriage. The absence of the word deceased does not mean he was still alive.
Dave

Just to complete the picture, here are the details of her husband (from our Marriage Records to the left)
HITCHING, William (Bachelor, age 25, Cutler, residing at Silver St).
Married Mary Elizabeth HASTROP, on March 3, 1873, by J W Appleford (Banns) at
Sheffield Parish Church, Church Street,Sheffield. Father's name is William Hitching (Cutler).
Married in the presence of Thomas Glossop (mark),Elizabeth Glossop (mark).
Notes: Bride signed with a mark.
Page No: 146 Reg No: 292
|Dave

I think a few certificates would help complete your queries.Then you could put it to bed once and for all.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Yes, I think so too, thanks for all the help

Keep in mind especially where the marriages are concerned that our transcriptions are exactly what is in the registers as are the certificates.

Take care Elaine in Ottawa.

Thank you, I have a lot more information than I had a few days ago.

Hi All

I sent for the death certificate for Sarah Ann Asthrop as above and it looks promising but not conclusive. It is a different spelling to her marriage of Asstrop and her marriage had her born in 1831 and her death puts her born in 1828. It does have her as widow of John a cutler which does fit. I was hoping that in the residence of informant might help but it only says the following

Cause of death General disease of the (can't read) accelerated by excessive drinking
Residence of Informant Information received from (can't read) Wightman Coroner for Yorkshire Inquest held 23 February 1874.

Does anyone know if there is any further information about this I can find. I was hoping the death certificate would mention her daughters Sarah Ann or Mary Elizabeth to tie it together.

I still can't find a birth for her she was born Sarah Bonnington father George according to her marriage certificate and born in 1831.

Thank you for all the information so far.

Helen,
According to the Sheff Daily Telegraph of 28 Feb 1874 Sarah Ann Asthrop died on 19th Feb age 46. She was of 6 Broad Lane (I assume Sheffield).
Would you mind sending me a scan of the cert please?
Dave

Thanks email sent

Helen
The 2 words you cannot read are ORGANS and DOSSY. Dossy Wightman was the coroner.
Because she died young and suddenly an inquest was a legal requirement.
There is no sign of her two daughters because the older one is married and the younger one is 15 so will be working, most probably live in.
It is anyones guess who provided her age to the Coroner, so it has little chance of being accurate. Perhaps it was the 15 yr old.
If you search on FMP Newspapers for surname Wightman and INQUEST in What Else? then drill down to the last week of Feb 1874 you get 8 answers. 3 of them are Sheff newspaper reports of the inquest. Her surname is spelled differently each time.
Sorry but I do not know how to do this delicately:
You need to consider where this widow, who had no man to support her, was getting the money to fund her alcoholism, (and earlier to fund the feeding of her daughters).
No doubt the daughters would get away as much as possible as soon as possible.
Dave

Thanks Dave it seems she didn't have an easy life. Will look at those records.

Helen
"I still can't find a birth for her she was born Sarah Bonnington father George according to her marriage certificate and born in 1831"

Although there is no baptism for her there is enough evidence to identify her and her parents.

1852 Marriage of Sarah Bonnington Sheffield Father GEORGE Bonnington, LABOURER

1829 Oct in MATTERSEY, Notts, Marriage of George Bonnington to Amy Slingsby
1830 Jan in MATTERSEY, birth and death of GEORGE Bonnington, Father George, mother Amy

SPACE HERE FOR SARAH to be born in MATTERSEY

The family moves to Sturton le Steeple:

1834 in Sturton le Steeple Notts, Birth of George Bonnington, Mother Amy, father George

1841 in Sturton le Steeple, birth and death of DAVID Bonnington father George, Mother Amy. GRO INdex confirms MMN SLINGSBY

1846 Death of Amy Bonnington (42), Sturton Le Steeple

1847 Marriage of George Bonnington to Mary Kithching, Doncaster

1851 Census Sturton le Steeple. George Bonnington, AG LAB, b 1801 Leverton with wife Mary and 2 KITCHEN children. Their address is very close to :

1851 Census Fenton, Sturton le Steeple Notts, Sarah Bonnington, servant age 19 born MATTERSEY
Notts

1851 Census Bole, Gainsboro, George Bollington b 1835, Sturton le Steeple is Tailor Apprentice
1861 Census Sturton le Steeple, Geoge Bonnington b 1834, Master Tailor
1861 Marriage of George Bollington to Charlotte Hartley, Sturton Le Steeple

It would be perfect if only they had baptised Sarah
Dave

Final proof

1841 Census North Street Sturton le Clay Notts
George BONINGTON 40
AMEY 38
George 9
SARAH 7

It looks like they got SARAH and George ages the wrong way round
Dave

Thanks Dave that is great and lots to look into.