Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Woolhouse family of Ecclesfield

I have a strange query....Jonathan Woolhouse b.1832 at the Butterthwaite Wheel, Ecclesfield, married a Sarah Ann Inman on 27th April 1851 at St Georges Church, St Philips Road, Sheffield.

In the 1861 census they are living Ecclesfield with their children, Sarah, Elizabeth, Henry, Thomas and Maria but here comes my query:-

Sarah was registered 1st qtr of 1853, mother's maiden name shown as Crowther! Elizabeth was then registered 3rd qtr 1854, mother's maiden name shown as Inman! The other children, Henry, Tom and Maria all registered with mother's maiden name Crowther. I wondered at first if it was a mistake by GRO but surely not 4 times between 1853 and 1861. On the census records, Jonathan's wife's name is shown as Ann, also on all the baptism records she is Ann but was definitely Sarah Ann Inman on the marriage record.

Any ideas

Wendy W.

Re: Woolhouse family of Ecclesfield

There's a baptism of a Sarah INMAN 31 March 1832 in Ecclesfield, daughter of Louisa INMAN single woman. Although the baptism is in Ecclesfield the residence is in Sheffield

On 17 Jun 1833 Louisa INMAN married William CROWDER in Ecclesfield

edit:
It looks as though William and Louisa had a daughter the next year; Maria baptised 28 Dec 1834. Again the baptism was in Ecclesfield and the residence was in Sheffield. William was a Filesmith.

I found these records at FindMyPast.

Hugh

You can William and Louisa CROWDER and their two children in the 1841 census index on this site (Sarah Ann is again plain Ann)

Hugh

Hi Hugh,
Thanks for that, I knew Sarah Ann was illegitimate and mother's name Louisa but never thought about Louisa getting married to someone called Crowder - later census changed to Crowther. On the marriage record for Sarah Ann and Jonathan, she stated her father's name was Henry Inman, grinder. I suppose she was just a bit confused as to which surname she should use as her maiden name when she was only young when mum married William. Not sure where Henry comes in to it but seems you have solved my problem. Thankyou Hugh

Wendy