Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help needed to work out village name (Poss near Mosborough?)

Hi there. I'm trying to decipher a location written on my 3 x great Grandfather's (Francis Turner) Marriage certificate.

It looks like it could be Thorntons Masbough but that doesn't exist! (Could be a mis spelling of Mosborough? But still not sure what the first word would be.)

Extra clues:

Francis Turner married Sarah Gillott in 1855 in Wickersley. She was living in Wickersley at the time. Francis was born in Ulley, and later lived in Treeton, but I can not find him in the 1851 census either.

If you have any guesses, it would be really appreciated.

Nikie

Re: Help needed to work out village name (Poss near Mosborough?)

Hi Nickie,Masbrough is a suburb of Rotherham, South Yorkshire, England. It was named as the west of Rotherham by the middle of the Industrial Revolution, namely that part on the left bank of Don. Historically part of the West Riding of Yorkshire, it is in the Metropolitan Borough of Rotherham, centred 0.5 miles (0.8 km) west of Rotherham town centre.

Hello Nikie,

I have been looking at the OS maps of Masbrough from the 1850s and 1890s and I can't see anything that resembles 'Thorntons'...

...but I found some sale notices in newspapers for properties in 'the Town street' Masbrough and wondered if there is any chance what you are looking at could resolve to this street?

Hugh

Hi Niki,

I was trying to turn up the marriage on FMP but other than the Civil Registration information.... Rotherham 9c 555 they are not showing anything else.

Was the church where they married called St Albans?

I also checked. GENUKI

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/WRY/Rotherham/KimberworthMarriages1853-1859

Thats not showing the marriage in 1855.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Nikki
There is a 14 yr old male Farm Servant called Francis Turner, born in Ulley, living in Hackenthorpe with a Booth family in 1851 census. FMP has transcribed him as a daughter of the Booths, which is clearly impossible.
Dave

"But I can not find him in the 1851 census either."
There is a Francis Turner, Dau (that's what it looks like) U(nmarried), 14 (male column), Farm serv, Born Derbyshire Ulley (that's what it was indexed as, and looks like too).
Ancestry originally indexed it as surname Turan. At Beighton, Derbyshire.
In the household of John & Ann Booth & children.

Superintendent Registrar's district: Rotherham
Registrar's district: Beighton.
Birley Vale is another place in the enumerator's schedule.
I see at Wikipedia that Beighton was formerly in Derbyshire.

Dave T
Nikki
There is a 14 yr old male Farm Servant called Francis Turner, born in Ulley, living in Hackenthorpe with a Booth family in 1851 census. FMP has transcribed him as a daughter of the Booths, which is clearly impossible.
Dave
Dave

I also thought this was the correct person in 1851.
Born and bred in Beighton myself it was of interest to me.

Has anone found him in 1841?

Angela

Sorry cannot edit:

The 1841 censs shows a Francis Turner living at Ulley (Treeton) with a father Francis aged 40 and mother Mary aged 40. Ages were rounded down on this census.

Registration district is Rotherham and sub-district Beighton.

Francis Turner Male 40 1801 Yorkshire, England
Mary Turner Female 40 1801 Yorkshire, England
William Turner Male 10 1831 Yorkshire, England
Ann Turner Female 7 1834 Yorkshire, England
Francis Turner Male 5 1836 Yorkshire, England
Robert Turner Male 3 1838 Yorkshire, England

Angela

The same family (minus Francis, and plus Mary born 1842, is on the 1851 census in the same place.
The GRO index for births of Robert and Mary will give the mother maiden name and allow to find the marriage of Joseph and Mary.
Dave

Dave

Do you mean the marriage of Francis and Mary?

Angela

Yes, my mistake
Dave

Barry - Thanks for the info on Masbrough. This is really helpful. Nikie

Hi Hugh.

Thanks for checking this out, it's really appreciated. I've been looking a lot closer as the writing on the certificate and I can now see an 'i' towards the end of the word. I noticed on a current map there is a place called 'Thornhill' so starting to think this might be the place! Nikie

Hi Elaine

Thanks for helping out. The marriage certificate states they actually got married in the Wellgate Chapel as they were Primitive Methodists. (I seem to have quite a few Primitive Methodists on both sides of the family, so need to do some more research on that too!)

Dave, Terry and Angela

Thank you all so much for digging into this.

Yes, this could well be my Francis in 1851 as he was born in 1836 so would have been 14/15 that year. (No wonder it was hard to find him... daughter!!!)

and that's certainly him in the 1841 census.

Thank you all so much for chasing this down.

Nikie