Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sheffield Street Name Changes in the Victorian Period

Hi All

Is anyone aware of any other record of Street Name Changes in Sheffield in the Victorian period.

I am aware of a list of 1871 Street Name Changes published by The Sheffield & District Family History Society. The list also appears in a notice in the Sheffield Daily Telegraph 11 March 1871.

Also there is a list of Street Name Changes in a notice appearing The Sheffield Daily Telegraph 11 September 1886.

My interest was sparked while looking in White's 1862 Direcrory of Sheffield which gave the location of Angus Square and Angus Terrace as being located on Dale Street. Looking at a map of the area for 1850 it would appear that Dale Street only ran for a short distance up the hill towards what is now Cemetery Road. A later map shows this road named in two parts; the lower end - Dale Street and the upper longer length being Summerfield Street. So at some point the whole length of the street was renamed Summerfield Street. Interestingly the 1850 map shows the area above Dale Street to be gardens and two mill dams just down the slope from Cemetery Road. At least one of the dams looks like it was connected to the Broomhall Corn Mills, and as the area developed these dams must have been filled in.

Is anyone aware of any other Information regarding Street Name Changes in the Victorian period?

Kind regards

Leipzig

Re: Sheffield Street Name Changes in the Victorian Period

Leipzig
You can get information about when street names changed from our many thousands of baptism/Marriage and Burial records. Regardless of whether a street changed its name, the people in the houses still lived, married and gave birth. These 2 records seem to confirm your observations:
STEPHENSON, William Turnley (of Angus Square Dale Street, born 1854-11-21).
Baptised January 27, 1855, by George Sandford at St Jude, Eldon Street.

COCKER, Charles William (Bachelor, age 28, Labourer, residing at 7 Angus Square Summerfield St).
Married Mary Ann PADLEY, on July 31, 1898, by J K McDowell (Banns) at
St Matthew, Carver Street.

If you search our records (with judicious use of Wild card) for your street names you will find that the EARLIEST record to mention Summerfield street was this one
MIDDLETON, Edward (Son of Elizabeth Middleton, age 4 mths).
Died at 38 Summerfield Street; Buried on November 21, 1869 in Consecrated ground;

The EARLIEST to mention Dale street was
TRAVISS, Geo. (Bachelor, age Full, Labourer, residing at Dale St).
Married Anna TURTON, on December 5, 1852, by Arundell Blount Whatton (Banns) at
St Philips Church, Shalesmoor.
The LATEST one to mention Dale St was
Banner, Robert (child, age 2).
Died at 5 Hanger Square, Dale St; Buried on February 3, 1886 in Unconsecrated ground;
Grave Number 11599, Section AA of City Road Cemetery, Sheffield.
(note I suspect Hangar Square was an original mishearing of Angus Square).

They would seem to indicate when the name changes were made
Dave

Hi Dave

Thank you for the work around, which is great and for the effort you have put in to show it works.

We are lucky in Sheffield that due to vast amount of record transcriptions that have been done, and also that the information on this site is freely available; enables your method to be employed. I'm sure I would not have got anywhere near as far as I have with my family history research if my ancestors had been based in another town.

Thanks again

Leipzig

Hi

There is also a research guide to Street names available on the archives website:

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/home/libraries-archives/access-archives-local-studies-library/research-guides#s

Angela