Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mary marsden

Hello any advice on the following would be much appreciated .... im struggling to find my great grandmothers parents? Her name was mary marsden born around 1848? She died in 1932 age 84, mary married lewrence henry lee in sep 1867 her residence at the time was george street and her father william marsden was an edge tool maker? I found a marriage for a william mardsen (edge toolmaker) in 1838 marrying a sarah ann smith however i cannot seem to find a mary marsden born 1848 mmn smith on the GRO index any help would be very much appreciated

Re: Mary marsden

Hi Laura

Many births were not recorded during the early years of civil registration. Parents were only legally obliged to inform a registrar of the details of a birth if the registrar demanded them.

Many people thought that a child's baptism was a legal alternative to registration. The position improved from 1875 when the Births and Deaths Act 1874 imposed a duty upon those present at a birth or death to report it to a registrar. There were fines for non-registration and penalties for late registration ( more than 42 days after a birth). Despite this some births and deaths after 1875 have not been recorded. In order to avoid paying a late registration penalty some parents reported a later (incorrect) date of birth for a child.

Angela

Have you ruled out this one@?
MARSDEN, MARY JANE SMITH
GRO Reference: 1846 J Quarter in SHEFFIELD Volume 22 Page 678

Dave

This may help: Mary Marsden
Principal
England, Yorkshire, Parish Registers, 1538-2016
Marriage 22 September 1867
Sheffield, Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom
Birth 1847

Parents William Marsden
Spouses Lawrence Henry Lee

Hi Laura,

I have just looked at the marriage you found in 1838.

William Marsden aged 27 Edge Tool M. father Josh Marsden. Edge Tool M.

Sarah Ann Smith aged 24 father John Smith a Victualler.

Hope it helps Elaine.

Instant Messenger: Skype

hi thanks for your reply i did look into mary jane marsden born 1846 ( 22/678 ) however her father is thomas?