Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
family member kia ww 2

my family are all from mainly Rotherham and Sheffield.
From 1921 census i’ve discovered that my cousin Henry (Harry) Emmerson was killed in action in 1943 and is buried in Germany at Sage Oldenburg. I know this part of the story quite well now. I wanted to go to his grave and pay my respects this summer and know more about him.
So I’m trying to find out if he had siblings etc., what his folks did, where etc etc It’s all a bit ‘northern’ as my dad never spoke about his life. Never. his mother was my great aunt Edith Emmerson nee Matthewman , dad was George Henry Oswald Emmerson …they died in Sheffield 1970 and 1973. Incredible since I was nearly 20 when they died and no one ever mentioned them. I think in 1939 this family was living in Pipers Crescent and he, the dad, worked as a manager Carbrook and Brightside Co-op.
But apart from that nothing re descendants. I’d love to get some help …happy to pay if there some one out there who can help with some research
many thanks
best wishes
David Peet

Re: family member kia ww 2

Test Reply

Sorry, having problems with reply

David, use Free BMD to find their marriage in 1915 Rotherham.
Then search for BIRTHS with Surname Em*erson and Mother Surname Matthew* for dates 1915 to 1935.
Only Harry shows up, born 1920. Therefore there were no siblings.
Dave

Hi David.

You will see below a copy of the 1939 Index.

Household members (5 people)

George H S Emmerson 15 Oct 1888 Male Manager Co-Operative Grocery Stores Married
Edith Emmerson 24 Apr 1892 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married
Harry Emmerson 01 Jan 1920 Male Furnishing Salesman Co-Operative Widowed
Alfred Matthewman 09 Aug 1855 Male Steelworks Loco Cleaner (Retired) Widowed
Patricia E Whitehouse (Matthewman) 16 Nov 1920 Female Artisan Clothing Machinist Single

It lists Harry as being a Widow. BUT it could be an error as Alfred Mathewman is also listed as a widow.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Thanks, that’s very helpful.
I’m now thinking I need the parents of Harry to have had siblings who had children. Also, maybe Edith or George H.S. Emmerson left a will that might yield some leads.—1970/73 Sheffield….many thanks David

Hi,
from the 1891 census.
George H.S. Emmerson aged 2yrs (George Henry S)
Parents Henry Emmerson aged 30 a Coal Miner born Scholes Rotherham
Mother Alice aged 23 born Swinton Rotherham.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hi Dave,

As you are new to family research can I suggest that you look at FreeBMD and the General Register Office (GRO) sites.

The Urls are as follows.

https://www.freebmd.org.uk/

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/#10

These may also help.

Family Search may also help you if your family are from Rotherham.
[url}https://www.familysearch.org/search/[/url]

There is also Free Reg https://www.freereg.org.uk/

Hope this helps.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype/Messenger

Hi Dave,

The edit seems to be missing when I needed to correct the URL for Family Search.

Trying again.

https://www.familysearch.org/search/

Elaine.

Thanks so much.
Sadly it turns out dear Henry b 1861 did 2 months in prison for *******y. Great!

Hi David,

I have just had a look at the 1939 register, and on the actual image
there is an 'S' for single at the side of Harry. The transcript says
widowed which is wrong.

Moira.

thank you yes, makes sense.

Hi David P,
I believe we have a connection, re: Edith Matthewman.
Edith (Baptized 12th May,1892, Masbrough) was a daughter of my great aunt, Sophia(Apphia)Franks who married Fred Matthewman in 1883 at Rotherham. They had a number of children.
Some of the Franks family moved from Dawley, Shropshire to Rotherham district around 1870.
I do not have a tremendous amount of info on Sophia & Fred, as Sophia(Aphia) was not my direct line of descent I am from her older brother, Thomas Benjamin Franks.
HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Hi David,
Additionally, I think the Alfred Matthewman born 1855, that Elaine found, is my Fred.
I just looked up on the GRO register and there was an Alfred Matthewman born in 1855 at Rotherham District with mmn ELLIS, which is another connection.

Brilliant thanks
Sophia Matthewman nee Franks is my great grandmother from Dawley in Shropshire.
She married Fred Matthewman and they had Edith who married George Henry Scott Emmerson who’s son Harry was killed 25th June 1943 in a Beaufighter aged 23 doing a reconnaissance sortie along the Dutch coast.
Still can’t believe no one said anything. I’m going to go over to the cemetery. His body was recovered or washed up on Borkum island, then buried in the Lutheran cemetery. In 1942 the Wehrmacht gave full military honours to a RAAF enemy flying officer buried there. Yet In 1944, 7 US flying fortress crew members who crash landed on Borkum were murdered by German soldiers after being humiliated and abused by the local population. then buried in the same cemetery. It was a war crime case later. 4 of the murderers were executed.
I just hope my Harry, a year earlier, was not victimised. I am seeking more info from the German side of things. Someone must have found his body and someone buried it. And I’m guessing someone shot the plane down. JM 180 Beaufighter Xi 143 Squadron out of North Coates.
Still can’t believe no one mentioned it. My dad was brought up with the boy. So Rotherham!

Hi David,
Fascinating and yet terrifying. I am not very good with researching military records but I hope you are successful in finding out what you are seeking.
There are more knowledgeable researchers on this site who may have a few more cents to add.