Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Harry Squires/ Elizabeth Squires

I am trying to solve a puzzle. My great grandfather-Harry Squires born 13th Sept 1889 to his mother Elizabeth Squires of 13 Walkin Lane, Sheffield. A domestic servant

I have his birth certificate but no Father`s name
However he was adopted by John Strutt/Emma Strutt of Sheffield.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Kind regards

Ian Hodgson

Re: Harry Squires/ Elizabeth Squires

In1891 he appears living with them at 25 South St, Strutt is mis transcribed as HUTT on FMP.

Terry

Looks more like Sake street.

Terry

Hi Ian

Is this the same query we helped you with last year? I think this is the last post (by DaveT) in August?

Ian, I refer to your comment about Emma Strutt (nee Yellott) having a sister Mary who married a a Squires. That has to be more than just coincidence.

Mary Yellott married George Squires in Sheffield Q1 1869. Their first born was Tryphena Q1 1870 in Sheffield. Using GRO index you can identify a further 13 children all born in Newark, Notts, the last in 1892.
Tryphena married a William Hall in Southwell, Notts in 1891 just before the census. They had at least 3 children and she died in Newark in 1904 age 33.
Tryphena would have been 19 when Harry Aspland Squires was born in Sheffield in 1889. She had a younger sister Elizabeth, but she would have been just short of her 16th birthday when Harry was born.
Food for thought
Dave

Denise

Aha, so it really was 15 yr old Elizabeth.
Thanks Denise
Dave

Dave

I think you are right in believing it was Elizabeth having given birth unmarried and under age. Hence her auntie Emma Strutt nee Yellott whose sister Married George Squires ( Father of Elizabeth )

I have sent you the birth certificate although this does not prove her age.

Regards

Ian

Ian, I have not received it
Dave

Ian, thank you. I have it now.
As you say no clue as to age. Elizabeth herself registered it 2 weeks after the birth. The only clue you have to follow up is the address (13 Walkin Lane) which was in Nether Hallam. That was her address at the birth and also at the registration.
Dave

Ian, how is this for a coincidence?:
Joel Yellott, the maternal Grandfather of Elizabeth Squires, died age 54 in 1876 at
13 WATKIN LANE.
Dave

Dear Dave

Thanks for all your help.

I wonder if there is a way of searching for the father of Harry Squires?

And the burial place of Elizabeth ( His mother ) ?

Cheers

Ian

Ian
One must assume that he was probably called Aspland. It is a rare name but you only know that Elizabeth was a domestic servant. You do not know where but a good bet would be Sheffield area or Nottinghamshire. You may be able to come up with a short list but the only way to prove it would be DNA. A very long shot.
FOR Elizabeth Squires born 1873 you need to look for potential marriages after 1889 as well as 1891 census and death as a spinster. Her grandmother and Unts and uncles were in Ecclesall Bierlow but her parentsand siblings were in Newark
Dave

Hi both

1891 Census has Elizabeth - still a domestic servant - living back in Newark with her parents.

Denise

Ian
Denise and I have pooled our resources to see what we could find. Nothing more positive on Elizabeth but there is a fascinating story on her father George who died in 1925. On FMP there are newspaper articles about him and his family in 1924 and 1925. He reputedly was to receive a large inheritance (£80000). He was a Groom to the Adlington family in Newark. The articles contain details of his life and children, and there is a photo of him.
You should definitely get at least a short-term subs with FMP to see them.
There is a strong implication that Elizabeth was no longer alive in 1924
Dave and Denise

Dave/Denise

Thanks for your help. I am going to check that now.
Kind regards

Ian

Ian,come back when you have seen the articles. We now have chapter and verse on the so called inheritance.
Dave

Hi Dave

I am not very good at all this ancestry but I am trying. It`s great to have helpful people like yourself.

I have checked the FMP and glanced at the articles in the newspapers.

Doesn't give loads of information about the will though unless I'm missing something !!

Kind regards

Ian Hodgson

Ian, there was no will and there was no inheritance. It was a con. Whether that was by George or on George by some solicitors I do not know.
There are clear facts which confirm an original set of people who you can find on the Internet.
John George Boss was big in the navy in the early 19th century and he became an MP. He married Charlotte Pennyman, daughter of Sir James Pennyman Baronet in Northallerton and niece of the first Earl Grey.She died in 1832 and he in 1837. JAMES Squires married Mary Boss in 1838.
There is no way he was Brother of George Squires mother Mary Boss because he was 32 years older than her. Charlotte and John George had only one child, a daughter, who died age 5.
Presumably Charlotte who George Sqires called Lady Boss died without a will thus leading naturally to false claims of right to inheritance for many years afterwards.
This was very common in high profile, rich intestate cases.
Just Google John George Boss
Just Google Charlotte Pennyman
Dave

Ian,
Actually there is a will for John George Boss in 1837. It can be purchased online as pdf format ( cost £3.50) from National Archives at Kew.
Dave