Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Transcription Query

Hello again I am querying the following transcription I think the date of birth should be 10th May 1885 Could you please check this for me The fathers details are David (deceased)

HOWE, Eleanor (of 76 Rockingham Lane, born 1888-05-10).
Baptised November 27, 1888, by G C Ommanny at St Matthew, Carver Street.
Parents name(s) are Earby & ~ (~).
Note: ~
Godparents: ~ :Page No 291 :Reg No 2327
Many Thanks Angela

Re: Transcription Query

Hi Angela,

I have asked Terry Ford to check the Baptismal register out but.....Looking at FreeBMD I believe this is her.

Births Jun 1888
HOWE Eleanor Ecclesall B. 9c 388

Which indicates the year as 1888.

Elaine.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Thank you Elaine you have still helped me with a puzzle if the transcript was correct the mother was lying and her husband David Howe was not the father as he died October 1885 and the mother did not remarry until November 1890 so it appears she was not telling the truth about the child's father

Just heard back from Terry and it definitely gives her birth year as 1888. Sorry.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

On the GRO index for Eleanor it list the mother's maiden name with a blank.

John

Angela Carter
Thank you Elaine you have still helped me with a puzzle if the transcript was correct the mother was lying and her husband David Howe was not the father as he died October 1885 and the mother did not remarry until November 1890 so it appears she was not telling the truth about the child's father
Angela,
What makes you say she lied about the father?
She did not name a father at the registration or at the baptism.
SHE was totally honest about it.
Dave

Hi Dave I assumed that the 2 squiggles on the transcription meant that the Fathers name was illegible and it would read David deceased .. are the Fathers details on the Parish record or is it blank ?

Again many thanks for your help
Angela

Angela, the Tilde(~) means it is blank.
Dave

Hi Angela

S&DFHS have also transcribed these records and our transcription also shows 27 Nov 1888, for the baptism and 10 May 1888 for the birth.

Angela

Angela