Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Charlotte Hutchinson born 1850

Hi all, hope you are keeping safe and well.

Charlotte Hutchinson born 1850 in Chesterfield daughter of John and Sarah (nee Webster)

I think she married George Silke in 1870 in the Ecclesall Beirlow RD butI have not confirmed this.

If the marriage is correct looking on the 1871 census Charlotte was 20 and George was 46 and born in Dublin.

That is where the story ends, I am unable to find Charlotte on the 1881 census so I can only assume George had died but I suppose she could have gone to Ireland but unless I have missed something I have found no trace.

Any help please to find Charlotte would be really appreciated.

John

Re: Charlotte Hutchinson born 1850

Hi

There is a George Silke in the 1881 census. He’s the right age, 56, and gives his place of birth as Dublin. He also states that he is married but Charlotte isn’t there; in fact, there is no wife listed. There are two children – George aged 13 and Lottie aged 8; both children were born in Sheffield. There is also a niece and nephew listed along with one servant.

They are living in Camden, London.

Carol

Sorry not Camden - Camden Road, Islington, London

According to GRO Index they had 2 children, Lottie Q2 1872 Ecclesall Bierlow and Richard Kavanagh Q3 1873 Pancras, both mmn Hutchinson.
Can't find a birth for George Silke nor any further trace of Richard K
Lottie married Harry Martin in Brighton 1893 and they had several children in Richmond and Brentford
Dave

Thank you both will look into it tomorrow but thanks for the London connection.

Will see if I can find George and Charlotte on later census returns and hopefully deaths.

John,

Someone has written a little profile of George Silke and posted it on their website, they reckon that he died in 1892 and is buried with Charlotte in Kensal Green.

http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~wheelwright/genealogy/p430.htm

He shows up in the Sheffield press advertising his "London Oyster Rooms" in Watson's Walk and it also mentions him being proprietor of the Waterloo Tavern. There was some legal kerfuffle about gambling and running a "list house" with lists of odds on display in the "Waterloo Turf Tavern" in 1862 but I didn't see the outcome of that.

His death (and final illness - bronchitis and asthma) was quite widely reported in the press including papers in Sheffield, London, Dublin and York and in the sporting press because he was apparently well known in horse-racing circles and went to races in Ireland as well as Newmarket. (A gentleman of the "old school" "much respected in racing circles" "removed from Sheffield to London to reside twenty years ago"). Died 12 October 1892.

The Telegraph in Sheffield (14 October 1892) said "In earlier life Mr. Silke, who was known the 'Irish Commissioner,' lived in Sheffield".

Cheers,

Andrew P.

Thanks for that Andrew I presume he died before Charlotte. So it is obviously a transcription error on the census why we can't find them.

John,

You're right, Charlotte did die after him though very young, according to that well-referenced rootsweb page she died 27 April 1893 (in fact you can see it on the picture of their grave). I checked the address where he died in the 1891 census and he and Charlotte weren't there - maybe travelling or something? There was his daughter Lottie and her aunt (both born Sheffield), a visitor, and a servant.

Cheers,

Andrew P.

Andrew, thanks for the date of death for Charlotte, I have checked the GRO index and it says she was 39 when she died and her death was registered in the Brighton area so no wonder i could not find the record by poutting in her birth year as 1850

It looks like their son Richard K Silke was in Egham, Windsor, Surrey in 1891, age 17
Dave

Looks like George left a will. to the value of £36000 which in 1892 would be a hell of a lot of dosh. Have a look and see if you think its him.