Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Police Officer Records

Can anyone help me to find any information on my grandfather's time as a Sheffield policeman. He was a police constable for all of his working life starting around 1900 and retiring around 1938-39. He died in 1949 aged 75.
Thank you in advance.

Instant Messenger: 07530884185

Re: Police Officer Records

Hi
PoLice records for the city are deposited with Sheffield Archives.

Angela

you will also need to contact south yorkshire police for permission to view them. Th archives will tell you how to do this I think

Hi

I have been able to view them in the past without permission from the SY police. It depends on the age of the records.

Angela

I have a police officer in my tree 1863 had to get a letter from SY police to view the records at the archives.

The National Emergency Services Museum on West Bar might also be able to help you with general information about life as a policeman during that period.

Heths

When I first time I looked at the police records, maybe 20 years ago, I did indeed need to write to the SYP to get permission. When I last needed them, 3 or 4 years ago, I didn't need to do that. There were also indexes and records on microfilm which hadn't been there before.

Hugh

Hugh
When I first time I looked at the police records, maybe 20 years ago, I did indeed need to write to the SYP to get permission. When I last needed them, 3 or 4 years ago, I didn\'t need to do that. There were also indexes and records on microfilm which hadn\'t been there before.

Hugh
That's great info. Thanks. My problem is that I now live on the South Coast and got get up yo Sheffield very often. Can I access any records on line, if I get syp permission, if that's necessary. I'm only interested in one person who served between 1900 and 1939.

There are about 20 references to exploits of "PC Hoult" in the Sheffield newspapers 1900-49. However there may be more than one PC Hoult as you say he retired just before the second war, but on 8th September 1923 the Sheffield Independent recorded:
"WITH BEST WISHES"
A clock encased in fumed oak and inscribed was presented yesterday in the Parade Ground of the Broomhill Division of the Sheffield City Police, to ex-Police Constable Hoult, who has retired after 25 years service, the whole of which he served in the division.
Superintendent Cotterill, in making the presentation, spoke in high terms of the work ex-Police Constable Hoult had performed and extended the best wishes of his old comrades".

There were no further newspaper references to PC Holt after that date.

There is a 1944 photo of the 67th Battalion Sheffield Home Guard showing a Major Hoult (3rd from left front row)- here:
https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s22596&prevUrl=

Though is very unlikely to be him, as his 1939 register entry makes no mention of Home Guard activity and the Major looks too young - may be a relative?

That's brilliant info Ted. Thank you so much for your help. I'm sure you are right. My assumption about the length of time served was purely anecdotal based on things my mum had said all those years ago. But now when I think back, she also mentioned that he was a gardener in his latter years, so not a lifelong copper. I wonder what happened to the clock???

Hi when I found an ancestor who had been a policeman well before your ancestor there was a Conduct and commendation book at Sheffield Shoreham Street and I had to get permission but that might have changed I’m not sure if there available online though

Thank you. Every bit of information helps. My grandfather John Hirst Hoult did indeed have a brother George Hoult, but I had no idea that he was a Bobby also. But, I also have no reason to believe that he wasn't. I don't live in Sheffield anymore after a long Navy career. Can anyone please tell me is it possible to access the Sheffield Newspapers mentioned in earlier posts online ??

Instant Messenger: 07530884185