Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mary Jane Davis ( married name Warrington )

I am trying to find out where Mary Jane Davis was born and if she had siblings she was born in 1860 and died 15th March 1896, she was my grandfathers Joseph Warrington's first wife, they lived in Sheffield but don't know if she was born there
Thanks Janet

Re: Mary Jane Davis ( married name Warrington )

the marriage of Joseph Warrington to Mary Jane DAVIES is in our parish records over to the left. Her father was Andrew, a cab driver.
Dave

Thank you Dave I will have a look
Janet

1891 Census gives her birthplace as Sheffield, living on Oxford Road

Oddly, she is on here as buried Christ Church Attercliffe, but also same person is on Tinsley Park registers, buried in her maiden name:

TPC:

"DAVIS","Mary Jane","15","Mar","1896","36","wife of Wm.","142 Dunlop St","Attercliffe","A46c

On here:

DAVIES, Mary Jane (~, age 36).
Died at 142 Dunlop St; Buried on March 15, 1896 in ~ ground;
Grave Number ~, Section NC of Christ Church Cemetery, Attercliffe.
Parent or Next of Kin if Available: ~. Remarks: ~.
Plot Owner: ~ ~ of ~. Page No 105

I thought something was a little off with your initial post with the dates and age not matching up, it would appear she isn't the MJ Davis as per above with the date of death you posted, I suspect she is this person (to be found on the burial records here, together with other people as you will see):

Warrington, Mary Jane (Married, age 33).
Died at City Hospital; Buried on August 12, 1896 in Unconsecrated ground;
Grave Number 11948, Section AA of City Road Cemetery, Sheffield.
Parent or Next of Kin if Available: . Remarks: .
Plot Owner: ~ ~ of ~. Page No 985

The ages match better with the marriage cert and census returns.

On Ancestry under a tree with Joseph Warrington the following comment has been left:

Joseph was married to Mary Jane Davies in June 1887 in Sheffield Yorkshire, Mary died aged 33 years in December 1896, she was born in Leeds in 42 Florist St in 1863 Her children with Joseph were William 1888 Elizabeth 1890 Beatrice 1891 ( Bessie ) Joseph 1894 Alice 1895 ( Emigrated to Canada ) in 1912 aged abt 18 yrs, she married George A Moss on 4th May 1918 in County of Wellard

Hi Richards

Thank you for your help, the information that you have seen on Ancestry is actually my family tree but I still can't find anything about her birth, I'm not sure where I got that she was born in Leeds from but on the 1891 census it says she was born in Sheffield, I have tried putting in her fathers name Andrew on the census's but nothing comes up, it also says she was born in 1866 but that would make her 30 when she died and she was 33, I was hoping to find a census that would give me her family, her name was Davies and not Davis as I have put

Thanks again
Janet

Janet,
The 5 children birth registrations are all on GRO Index.
William was registered Sheffield in Q3 1887 with mmn Davis. In fact he was registered very early in the quarter, so Mary Jane was more than 7 months pregnant at her marriage.
The other 4 were registered Ecclesall Bierlow
MARY Elizabeth q2 1889 mmn Davis
BEATRICE q2 18o1 mmn Davis
JOseph q2 1893 mmn Davies
Alice q1 1895 mmn Davies.

Dave

Correction
Beatrice was birth registered 1891.

With regard to identifying where Mary Jane came from we have father name Andrew, a cab driver.
If she was actually illegitimate then that would be an invention and therefore a dead end.
If legitimate then it looks like she and father Andrew were not together in any Census in England and Wales.
Could she have been born in Scotland or Ireland?
Dave

Hi Dave

This is a mystery, I have found on the 1881 census a Mary J Davis aged 17 born in Sheffield and she is a servant, could be her but
I'm not even sure if the spelling of her name is Davis or Davies although on the parish records it's Davies, as you say that might not be true about her father being Andrew, oh well thank you for your help I think I will give up on this

Thanks
Janet

I have a Beatrice Warrington in my family tree bon 1891 in Sheffield.

She had a son called Alma Godbehere (born 13/4/1915 in Sheffield died 2/08/1995 in Portsmouth) with John Godbehere. I can't find any marriage record for Beatrice and John.

I am more interested in the Godbehere line so I haven't researched Beatrice but I believe she was born January 1891 and died 10 October 1943.

Beatrice's siblings were Mary Elizabeth (1889-1968), Joseph (b1893) and Alice (1894-1978)

Any connection?

To add to DaveT's notes.

DAVIES, Mary Jane (Spinster, age 22, ~, residing at 12 Sidney Street).
Married Joseph WARRINGTON, on May 22, 1887, by J.Maurice Ham (Banns) at
St Simon, Sheffield Centre. Father's name is Andrew Davies (Cab Driver).
Married in the presence of Francis William Warrington, Annie Elizabeth Quinlan.

Her birth year is now 1865?

If she was illegitimate could Andrew be her grandfather?

There is an Andrew Davies on the 1851 census.In Sheffield a Labourer.He came from Ireland. His wife is Ann NO daughters in the household but they could be out working.

From her burial.

Warrington, Mary Jane (Married, age 33).
Died at City Hospital; Buried on August 12, 1896 in Unconsecrated ground;
Grave Number 11948, Section AA of City Road Cemetery, Sheffield.
Parent or Next of Kin if Available: . Remarks: .

Her age alters once again.

Note that she was buried in Unconsecrated ground. Therefor not an Anglican and not turning up in our baptismal records.

Not much but just might lead you somewhere.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

There is birth registration for a Mary Jane Davis in q1 1865 in Barnsley. She was illegitimate. She would be 22 at the marriage in 1887 so a perfect fit there.
A bit of a long shot but it may be worth buying the birth cert pdf £7 and exploring the mother to see if the name Andrew comes up in the family.
Dave

Hello Elaine thank you for the information, I did know about the marriage and her death but didn't know what unconsecrated ground meant, the witness at the marriage is Joseph's brother but I don't know who Annie is, I will dig a little deeper now with information that you have given me

Thanks Janet

Thank you Dave I will consider doing that

Janet

Janet
It looks like a Mary Jane Davis married in 1887 in Barnsley which makes my idea very unlikely to be correct for you. Sorry cannot suggest anything else to try.
Dave

Hi Janet et al,
Birth registration in the UK was not mandatory until 1873, which could be why we are having some problems in pin pointing the birth of your 'rellie'. As already pointed out, we see on the 1881 census a very good fit for your Mary Jane Davis.
We have also determined a POSSIBLE name for her father, Andrew who is a cab driver. I have found on the 1861 census for Whitechapel, London, ANDREW DAVIS age 16 (B:abt.1845), who is described as a car man, as is his father John Davis.
There are five younger children, the youngest being 3, all supposedly born at Whitechapel. The wife Helen (age 58) is 18 years older than John and is unlikely to be the mother of the younger children.

I have only found one GRO birth in 1845 and that is for Andrew John Davis born at Greenwich Union mmn: DIXEY. but there are three other Andrew Davis births listed between 1843-1846.
There are a few Sheffield births for Mary Jane Davis/Davies on Family Search website but have not tracked any down as yet.
HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

OK Dave thanks

Thank you for that Wendy, I think that would be Her on the 1881 census

Thanks for your help Janet