Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thomas Wynne dob 1797

For years I have been at a brick wall with my great great grandfather Thomas Wynne dob 1976 birth place London Borough. My search has been just in London England but out of the blue from someone else's Tree I have discovered that Thomas Wynne was born in London, Ontario, Canada. Also I have learned that there are other London Boroughs in England eg. Liverpool and Yorkshire. However, as the Canada Thomas Wynne seems to be my ancestor could anyone please advise how I can trace his parents when he was born over in Canada .Normally here I would be searching for a birth certificate but where do I begin to search from over here in England. He did come to England at some point and lived in Wales on the 1841 census with his wife Ann and daughter Mary Ann Wynne.
Kind Regards
Heather

Re: Thomas Wynne dob 1797

Hi Heather,

Though I have lived in Canada for 54 yrs I have researched very little in Canada.

Wendy from Guelph one of our Canadian followers will I am sure read your posting and help.

If you go to our site map you will find material from our Canadian Archives there.

Family Search is also a good port of call.

Each Provence has its own BMD index but not always searchable.

I would just like to say be wary of other people trees they can lead you in a wild goose chase.

Do you know where he was in 1841?

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Elaine, Thank you for replying to my message. Yes he was living in the district of Ha in Wales, England. He was a Hawker the and later became a shoemaker.

Kind Regards
Heather

I think I've found Thos, Anne, & MaryAnne, at Hay in Breconshire in 1851. 'London' is crossed out, & 'Borough' substituted. This was a way of indicating Southwark on the south bank, not anywhere in Canada!

Best wishes,
Geoffrey:slightly_smiling_face: -also looking for Wynnes from time to time!

Hi Heather et al,
I am not having much success in tracking down any Canadian connection for your Wynne family.

The only record I found on Family Search website was for a Mary Anne Wynne age 20, a servant, immigration in 1857 to New York City on board a ship named 'Great Western' born Great Britain.
About the right age for your Mary Anne but there is no sign of any parents and I have found no proof that this Mary Anne belongs to you.

You mentioned that Thomas later became a shoe/boot maker, can you elaborate on this..was it from another census..?? I have only been able to find Thomas and family for 1851 in Breconshire., where his occupation is 'Hawker' and he is 54 years old.

I have checked the Canadian census for 1851/52 (very limited_ there are no Wynne's that are a fit. If you knew whether or not Mary Anne married and where..the 1901 Canadian census is more informative.
HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy: