Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Professions stated on records

Hi,
I have been looking at my ancestor Benjamin Goodison, born approx 1816 (I think in Sheffield but haven't found the correct baptism yet as there are a couple).

He marries Eliza Padley in 1837 in Ecclesfield, and in the

1841 census is listed as a Grinder
1851 census Ag Labourer
1861 Road/reed ???
1871 Labourer
1881 Labourer
However, on his children's marriage certificates he is...
1860 table knife grinder
1866 labourer
1872 labourer and also 1872 grinder
1875 labourer
Just wondering if these professions would have been closely linked then? Or am I missing something?
Thanks in advance
Sarah

Re: Professions stated on records

Sarah,

He will have been a labourer who had some experience/training as a grinder. The quantity of work for grinders would vary enormously depending on the very variable economic and political situation. In times of high cutlery orders he would be able to get grinding work and at times of low orders he would need to find other work. Also, AG lab work could be seasonal, so he would vary between the jobs as the market varied.
Dave

Re: Professions stated on records

Dave T
Sarah,

He will have been a labourer who had some experience/training as a grinder. The quantity of work for grinders would vary enormously depending on the very variable economic and political situation. In times of high cutlery orders he would be able to get grinding work and at times of low orders he would need to find other work. Also, AG lab work could be seasonal, so he would vary between the jobs as the market varied.
Dave
Thank you Dave for explaining this :-)