Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Charles Benjamin FENTON 1910-1950

I would like to thank the Sheffield Indexers team for transcribing the Burial Index for Sheffield as I have managed to find one of my great Uncles, Charles Benjamin FENTON, who was buried in the City Road Cemetery in 1950. Most of my family have now departed this life so there’s no-one around to ask any questions but thanks to your records, I now know that Charles was buried with another chap in 1931 and also that his partner Ivy was buried with him in 1955. One of my great Aunt’s told me before she died in 2006 that Charles (her brother) lived in Sheffield and I was wondering if there was any more information I may be able to find like is there a gravestone (which there probably isn’t as money was quite scarce) as obviously, I want to find out as much information as possible. Any help would be gratefully received as unfortunately, I am not really familiar with the Sheffield area as I live on the border of Derbyshire & Nottinghamshire. Thank you in advance. Sharon

Re: Charles Benjamin FENTON 1910-1950

Hi Sharon,

I am sure that Tony Morton once he reads your request will answer. He has photographed a large number of stones from City Road.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hello Sharon

I have checked the plot where Charles is buried but unfortunately there isn't a headstone.

The burial book lists this plot as a "Common" Grave so it's possible that the burials may not all be related to each other.

Should you want to visit the Grave, there is a plaque with the name GODWIN on a neighbouring plot that would help you identify the correct plot.

GODWIN, William Joseph Henry (Labourer, age 35).
Died at 66 Ecclesall Road; Buried on April 13, 1950 in Consecrated ground;
Grave Number 19496, Section A6 of City Road Cemetery, Sheffield.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help

Tony Morton

Hi Elaine

Thank you so much for your quick reply, I really appreciate it.

Regards.

Sharon

Hello Tony

Thank you so much for your quick reply, it is appreciated. I didn't think there would be a headstone for my great Uncle, Charles Benjamin FENTON which is a bit sad but as my families were quite poor, you have to be realistic. My motto is "If you don't ask, you don't get" and I am very grateful to you for checking it out for me and for the information about whose grave he is near, that is very thoughtful and kind of you. At the moment, I do not have any plans to visit the City Road Cemetery but if I find out that I have more relatives buried in there, I will certainly think about it. At least I can put this one to bed and move on. Once again, thank you for all your help, it was very useful.

Best wishes.

Sharon

Hi Sharon,
My family is Fenton & I wonder if we have the same family.
My ancestors are John Frederick &Frank from the late 1800’s & everyone originates from Sheffield.
I haven’t gone as far forward as you have but my grandfather Austin Fenton is buried in City Rd.
I would be interested to hear if this is your family?

Hello Liz

Thank you for your message. Unfortunately, I don't have a John Frederick in my family but I do have a Frank Reginald FENTON born 1906 and died in 1915, who was another one of my Grandma's brothers. This particular generation of my FENTON family were born in Derbyshire but their dad and further generations back originate from Lincolnshire. I really don't know how Charles Benjamin FENTON ended up in Sheffield as no-one else moved there (as far as I know). Sorry I'm not much help to you but wish you luck with your search.

Regards.

Sharon