Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Marriage Maiden name

This is a tough one . basically I am trying to locate the maiden oF Norah who was from
Sheffield.Who married a German / Dutch ? gentleman circa 1908 called Gustav Borcherding
They lived the rest of their Lives in South Africa on a Lime works and Farm.The area is
called HEUNINGSPRUIT .O.F.S. SOUTH AFRICA...I have a letter what was sent to my gran.
in June 1953 NELLIE DUFFY nee CONROY asking what exact relation to Norah Borcherding
was NELLIE DUFFY ...Also it mentions other names Norah Tynan who was my nans sister
they would not realise at the time..She died in Ipswich 1960.I have tried much Research
The Marriage where abouts evades me I have been touch with the G.G.Grandaughter of
Mr G. Schwiering who wrote the letter in 1953 [ she was'nt able to help ] in S.A.
There is a Heritage Portal who sent me phots of the Farm etc and their graves buried
in 1951/2 on the farm I found the travelled to S.A. from London in 1921 on the Ship
Goucester Castle she was named only Mrs Borcherding...What was her MAIDEN NAME.???
Thank You Patrick

Re: Marriage Maiden name

Family Search gives a marriage:

Gustav Georg Johannes Borcherding m Norah Bacon 29th Jan 1906 in Durban, SA.
An image of the marriage certificate is available.

Free BMD: Birth for Norah Bacon in Sheffield QE Mar, 1871

Anne

Re: Marriage Maiden name

Good find Anne.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Re: Canadian Information needed please.

Brilliant work by Anne finding Norah Bacon.

Norah Bacon born in Sheffield Q1 1871 - mother’s maiden name Conroy.

Mary Ann Catherine Conroy had married Henry Bacon in 1868 in St. Marie’s (the Catholic cathedral that’s sort of hidden away just off Fargate for those who don’t know Sheffield). Wedding was 26 May 1868, he lived in Weston Street, she lived in School Croft, his dad was Stephen Bacon, hers was John Conroy.

Henry, incidentally, had been baptised in the Parish Church (now the Anglican cathedral) - d.o.b. 26 Sep 1839. I think that he had first married at age 19 but his wife, Eleanor née Gregory, died very young.

Anyway, in 1871 Norah was with her mum and dad in Weston St and her siblings Charles, C.E., and Eleanor (12, 10, and 6 years of age respectively. “C.E.” was female).

In 1881 Norah was with Mary and Henry in West St. (Dad was manager for a haft scale cutter, horn). Also there were sisters Eleanor (16) and Florence (8) and a boarder Stephen Bacon

By 1891 Mary (Mary Ann C Bacon) was a widow and living in Harcourt Road with three daughters, Eleanor, Norah, and Florence Lucy, and a servant called Anna Louisa Fry. It looks like Henry had died in early 1891, before the census.

Florence was likely the Florrie who died in 1892 (1 July at 97 Harcourt Road aged 19 “Florrie the dearly loved youngest daughter of the late Henry Bacon” Sheffield Independent 4 July 1892)

In the 1901 census Norah’s mum was still living in the nice house at 97, Harcourt Road, Sheffield with Norah - 28 years of age and single, working as a clerk in a cutlery works, Edith H Conroy, her niece - a dressmaker, Annie Carmile - a servant, and two boarders: Robert Hill, a bank clerk from York and Gustave Borcheding, 25 and single, a foreign correspondent from Germany…

maiden Name

To ANN and ANDREW PEARSON, Thank you for your fantastic response from you both.

I had recently inquired through Sheffield indexers a post card and it was by M.A Bacon

and was sent to Mrs.Gebhardt Pork Butchers Sheffield in 1915 with a photo at the Farm

in South Africa in which Sheffield indexers gave me excellent info Thank you