Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A Darnall marriage

Looking to solve a long standing brick wall which involves the marriage of my ancestor John James Bradley b.1876 Newbold, Chesterfield. His marriage to Mary Sarah Johnson at Darnall Holy Trinity was 11 Apr 1898 & is on your excellent web site. It shows all the information that one normally needs except it that it does not show if his father is deceased on the date of John James marriage. I am trying to find the place & date of death of his father William Bradley in America. Knowing if John James father is deceased could narrow down my search for a very common name. My question, is it possible to look at the original marriage John James marriage certificate to see if William Bradley is deceased on 11 Apr 1898? Thanks, John Gascoigne.

Re: A Darnall marriage

I have just looked at the original cert on FMP and it does not say his father was deceased.

Jenny

Thanks Jenny for that info & the very quick reply. I am disappointed as that does not narrow my search. John Gascoigne.

It doesn't mean to say that he was still alive when James got married as I believe some ministers didn't include it on the certificate. Doesn't help with your research I'm sorry to say.

Jenny

Should have read JOHN not James. Sorry.

Email sent.
Jenny

Thanks very much Jenny for the copy of John James marriage certificate. I see that the Vicar GG Swan did not have a place on the marriage document to record his father's death. (condition).
I will include the copy in my history file.
I wonder if I can trouble you further. Installing the above document I have noticed that John James brother Thomas Emmanuel married twice, 1. to Lilley Hobson in 1888 Sheffield & 2. to Emily Bilham in Rotherham in 1898.
Thank you, you are so helpful John Gascoigne.

John,
Have you considered looking at the marriages of John James many brothers and sisters to see if any of them say father deceased?
There is a transcript on FMP of the 1901 marriage of his younger brother Alfred Ernest Bradley in Chesterfield. I have not looked for the marriages of his many older siblings all with mmn Swindin on GRO Index.
Dave

Email sent John. If you would like me to look at any other marriages just let me know the details.

Jenny

Thanks to both Dave T & Jennie for your replies. Very helpful indeed. From the information received I have the following:
Hannah Mary m.26 Jul 1898 says deceased
John James m.11 Apr 1898 not recorded alive or dead.
Alfred E m.25 Sept1901 blank
Minnie A m.30 Sept1901 deceased
Thomas E m.27 Dec 1888 not recorded
Thomas E m.15 Sept1888 not recorded
Dora Eliza m. 2 Feb 1885 I do not have copy of this marriage.
I can now search USA records for William Bradley's place /death between 1882 & 1898.
My previous search was 1882 to 1925. There were just so many.
Thank you, John Gascoigne.

Dora Eliza married Richard Hicks Chesterfield but there is only a transcription on FMP so unable to say if father was deceased or not.

Jenny

OK Jennie I think I am OK to do the search between the dates as I said earlier. There are three of us family members who have tried to find William Bradley in America who left his pregnant wife & children abt. 1882 after 11 births. His father Thomas did the same, some 30 yrs earlier. Up to now none of us has found anything convincing. Most of the records relating to immigrants to the USA give the place of birth as England. Not very helpful. Thank you. John Gascoigne.

John
Do you have the death cert for Dora Eliza Bradley died 1886 age 43. If you are lucky there may be a clue on that.
Dave

Hello Dave T. No I do not have a copy of Dora Eliza's death certificate. I have all her details from a close family member/researcher, cause of death & her MI in Newbold Church grounds etc. Thanks for the prompt on this. I will email her about this.
Unfortunately when I first started doing family research years ago I just entered the dates on my family tree. I never kept a copy of anything or saved the source of where I got it from. This error is why I am scrabbling around today trying to solve this problem. John Gascoigne.